Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Peter.N. »

I had a real one of those Cresta's
Attachments
PA Cresta Plymouth.jpg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 23:01
Vanguards VA10207; Leyland Princess 2, 2.0HL, Snapdragon Yellow
That's lovely :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I read with interest this little description, of the corgi version of my "avatar car". It recounts how Corgi made a better mousetrap than its rivals Dinky.
https://www.chezbois.com/corgi/picture_index.htm
This model marks a step change in the production of Corgis and explains quite a bit of their domination on the Die Cast toy business right through the Sixties. Dinky were still reeling from the introduction of Corgi as a new competitor with windows as standard and far superior engineering & modelling, not to mention bright wheels that looked like hubcaps as opposed to painted ones that looked like lorry wheels - and before they could recover Corgi introduces sprung suspension and seats as standard across all new models - beginning with the Floride.

It was a case of not allowing the competition time to breathe, never mind catch up; and on top of that came the characteristic Corgi novel features that always added a little more to a new and clever idea.

Here you have the air intakes for the rear engine which are actually punched right through the casting, fine detail throughout and a really pretty little French car to boot. Oh - and if you had a Dinky caravan this Corgi has the half-moon shaped slot in the base to take the linkage. Dinky had no chance.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I bought this on Ebay some years ago but have actually seen it, or at least the car it was modelled on. It was at the Yeovil Festival of transport, probably the best car show in the west, its turned mostly in to a steam rally now, very few cars. The original car was registered in Somerset, as those who are number plate geeks (like me) will have noticed.
Attachments
Cresta model.JPG
Cresta model.1.JPG
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 14:18 I bought this on Ebay some years ago but have actually seen it, or at least the car it was modelled on. It was at the Yeovil Festival of transport, probably the best car show in the west, its turned mostly in to a steam rally now, very few cars.
on Flickr has a photo of the real thing Peter same reg...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caz_pix/6 ... st-axFB8n

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and the page from the "little wheels" site linked to earlier

https://www.chezbois.com/non_corgi/vang ... l_5706.htm

Vanguards VA06402; Vauxhall PA Cresta; Lime Yellow & Swan White

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Here it is - as I saw it.
Yellow Cresta Yeovil.jpg
NewcastleFalcon

Beamish and similar living museums, are great places for a bit of Remember these...
...before we had this thread to mop such things up Pictures of the Day was the place for a nostalgic ramble.

There has been a bit ramble today on the garages gallery thread, about the recreated Town Garage at Beamish, with a lot of the furniture/fittings etc coming from the Dene Motor Co in Newcastle. Well they also supplied the Cash ball railway used at the old Co-operative store at Beamish.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 31 Oct 2016, 06:37 They use "balls and chutes" at the Co-operative in Beamish. Nice bit of drama.
The Cash Railway website has a fair bit of detail on the systems in stores across the country. The link goes to County Durham.

Pick out your county out and have a wallow.

http://www.cashrailway.co.uk/locations/eng-durham.htm
I well remember the system at Doggarts in Consett!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

The Watford listings on that website are incomplete. While they list Cawdells Department Store they have omitted the Co-op in St Albans Road North Watford which was also equipped with a vacuum tube system connecting the sales desks with the central till office!! I used to make certain of needing change in order to see them have to use the system!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Bet you've never seen a Lamson pneumatic tube exchange this big before......... apart from the time I might have posted it before :lol:
Lamson exchange - own work
Lamson exchange - own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

You win that bet bobins, I've never seen one at all!! :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Vividly recall those in Lewis' Of Leeds - used to go there shopping from Doncaster and to the Santa's Grotto.
When I was about five. Some things stick in your memory, just not the ones you most want.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 20:45 Vividly recall those in Lewis' Of Leeds - used to go there shopping from Doncaster and to the Santa's Grotto.
When I was about five. Some things stick in your memory, just not the ones you most want.
This is what the http://www.cashrailway.co.uk/locations/ ... kshire.htm had to say about Lewis of Leeds

LEEDS. Lewis's, 22-26 Headrow. "Building of Leeds store... There will be miles of tubes for cash carriers." Yorkshire Evening Post, 14 Jan. 1932, p.9
• "Lamson pneumatic tubes for the speedy handling of all cash and credit transactions are installed throughout Messrs. Lewis's stores at Leeds." Yorkshire Evening Post, 15 Sep. 1932, p. 10
• Pneumatic tube system "including a tube room fifty feet below street level. It was connected by twenty-five miles of pneumatic tubing with the 250 change points in the store, the change returning to the points, it was boasted, at thirty miles an hour."Briggs.
• "In 1932, at the age of 14, Mrs McNess got a job at Lewis's in the 'Tube Room' counting change and sending it back up to the shop floor." Methleys website
• "Lewis's, Matthias Robinson and Schofields had an ingenious system of pneumatic pipes that took your money down to the cashiers in the bowels of the store. A hand-written slip was put into a canister with the cash, stuck in the pipe and away it went, only to return moments later with any change and the receipt. It never ceased to thrill as it shot back up the pipe with a satisfying thwuck!" This England, Winter 209, p.35

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 20 Jan 2021, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 17:40 Bet you've never seen a Lamson pneumatic tube exchange this big before......... apart from the time I might have posted it before :lol:

That's impressive :D There was once a much smaller one than that installed in one of my places of work - used to send and receive urgent telegrams between the comcen and selected offices in a very large and sprawling building...

It worked extremely well and in all my years working there I never recall it failing despite heavy use...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

CitroJim wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 08:09
...........selected offices in a very large and sprawling building...
Idle curiosity here Jim, was that building Charles House by any chance? :)