Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by ekjdm14 »

Well, I was enjoying this but have to go now. SWMBO just arrived back from the doctors and says the car is making a rattling noise that got louder on the way home. I go out and see a puddle of fresh engine oil on the ground and my heart sinks, I've just got done with one bottom end repair!

Anyway, I dab the oil and sniff it. It's out of a petrol engine thank God, and Black's ZX replacement engine hasn't used a drop (as she never has).

The rattling noise though? The HP pump appears to have lost a bolt and is rather loose... All I can think is it's related to the extra stress/vibration from when the tensioner failed recently. Oh well, at least it's not run the bearings!
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Oh buggle
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 10:10
CitroJim wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 07:52....According to WADA virtually everything is :roll: Even asthma inhalers... Mr. Froome take note ;)

I can't imagine anything made by Horlicks can possibly be performance enhancing unless it's to enhance sleep :lol:
Bit late to the party here, but he should already know this. One of the greats, I'm sure you know, was also asthmatic and frequently came under scrutiny for salbutamol... Miguel Indurain, a childhood hero of mine lol (I believe he also had, as a result of his severe asthma I think and the lifelong medication, 5 litre lungs!)

Seems a lot of the top cyclists are Asthmatic Dan... Odd really but then Eddy Merckx was quite a poorly child and look what he went on to do...
doctle wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 10:52 [urlhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/4guhlzvu2dza22p/IMG_2 ... 6.jpg?dl=0][/url]
:-D

Posh Brut!
ekjdm14 wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 10:49 Well, I was enjoying this but have to go now. SWMBO just arrived back from the doctors and says the car is making a rattling noise that got louder on the way home. I go out and see a puddle of fresh engine oil on the ground and my heart sinks, I've just got done with one bottom end repair!
Oh dear Dan, at least not too serious... Those bolts have to be quite tight as they do vibrate loose - like diesel pump flange bolts...

Only problem is, they're specials... Do you have spares?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Yes I'm glad it wasn't anything major, though will have to collar her next door hopefully before she runs the bearings on her golf (I suspect from the stains that is what is bleeding oil on the road)

I went under the car earlier and there's one bolt remaining, God only knows where the other went since it'd have to pass through the pulley to vanish! No sign of any mauling/mashing under there though, maybe it was fitted backwards with the nut at the pulley end :? as you said they are specials. For now the remaining one is in the bottom with a nylock nut on. If they're the same on all models then I can "borrow" one off White, and get the ones from the scrap yard next time we go :)

Oh, and I have asthma too so where's my collection of Maillot Jaune? :rofl2:
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dan, the pump fixing nuts and bolts are petty much common across all so finding spares should be easy enough...

Maybe a touch of Loctite might not be such a bad idea...

I'm not asthmatic but I do get a bit of its close relative, eczema, from time to time...

Not that it's helped my in my cycling much!

Odd how asthma and eczema are related - on casual looks they have no apparent similarities at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Remember the world before tea-bags took over?

Yes packet Tea and Tea Strainers, and various marketing promotions to collect picture cards a la cigarette packets of the past, and to send away for various bits of stuff.

Well the most memorable bits of stuff to send away for were little posters of your favourite footballers. Required cutting out 12 pictures from packets of Typhoo tea, sending them off to Typhoo HQ, and picking out your favourite and some time later through the post......how exciting was that!......you got your full colour picture 8" by 10" to put on your bedroom wall.

My first one as you might expect was more Black and White than colour...."Wyn the Leap"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Back in my youth this little craze made its way to rural County Durham all the way from America :-D

Yes you would go into the local sweet shop and buy a packet of these (couldn't find the UK version but with the exchange rate at the time probably about 4d-6d)

Topps DC Comics Comic Book Foldees

You got a stick of bubble gum and maybe 3 cards? which could be hilariously folded to make 9 funny pictures. There were 44 to collect and swap, but if I remember rightly no7 was like gold dust. They were bright and colourful, nice artwork and featured at least one of the DC comics extensive stable of superhero's but of course not a spiderman in sight, he being from the rival Marvel stable!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Anyone remember Space Dust?

Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Yes I remember space dust, probably replaced now by fizz-wiz

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I was amazed to come accross a pair of kerbside petrol pumps in my wanderings around Paris, something I rather associate with sepia prints of cycle shops in Northern towns in, probably, the '20's - although I think there's still a small garage in South Molton with pumps either side of the workshop entrance.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I remember one near Bude a considerable number of years ago that pumped a measured amount of fuel into a circular glass tank at the top of the pump, opening up the delivery valve resulted in it being dumped in your tank. I don't know how accurate it was as the glass was calibrated in gallons by lines painted around it.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 22:14 I remember one near Bude a considerable number of years ago that pumped a measured amount of fuel into a circular glass tank at the top of the pump, opening up the delivery valve resulted in it being dumped in your tank. I don't know how accurate it was as the glass was calibrated in gallons by lines painted around it.

Peter

Would it have been something like these.....lighthouse pumps
http://www.automobilia-uk.com/user_uplo ... 60006_.jpg
http://www.ukrestoration.com/wp-content ... G_0768.png

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I remember something similar when I first started riding motor bikes... A special pump for making up two-stroke petroil mixes in the correct ratios...

The last ones I saw still operational was in Cyprus in the early 80s where little two-stroke scooters were very much a mainstream mode of transport...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

I came across Matts Automobilia in looking for the lighthouse tanks.

Its a treasure trove of what it says on the tin, with the emphasis on treasure. I guess they aren't making the stuff any more, so if you really want a piece of motoring miscellania you have to pay the price!

So, anyone fancy an oil can/pourer?

http://mattsautomobilia.co.uk/product/s ... quart-2053

Have to say less expensive ones are available. This ESSO one is just £24.99

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I still use those vintage oil can/pourers... I have a quart and a pint one :)

Sadly, mine have been repainted so I have no idea of their original branding... I think they may have been Castrol ones as like a lot of my older tools, they were originally dad's..

Matts is a brilliant site :D A great find!
Jim