Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by doctle »

When I was a lad, Mother called the shots on hair style. The barber was as corrupt as Fu*k he sold magazines with scantily clad ladies ladies in them, pregnancy preventers, and if you wanted 6 cans of Carling ,,,, He was known as uncle his name was Jim and I seem to recall he was very well off.
Oh buggle
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have vivid recollections of being taken, between 6 and 10 years old, to the barber's on Saturday mornings by my father. He was balding and had a "monk's trim" while I sat on a chair by the door trying to stay out of the cloud of pipe smoke emanating from the barber's pipe and one or two of the other clients awaiting their turn. Then he was done and I saw the barber, whose name I believe was Cliff, wielding the infamous "padded" plank to place across the arms of his chair so I could be sitting at the right height for his clippers. I was a fidget and invariably slid forward off the plank at some point as I tried to evade his sweeping attacks with the scissors at trimming time! Definitely not Cliff's favourite customer and I expect he was as pleased as me when I took a liking to the Beatles and grew my hair accordingly!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

You're now reminding me of a childhood barber, when growing up in West Ealing. He had his shop on the Uxbridge Road. The walls of his salon were hung with black-and-white photos of him in his previous job: the man who struck the gong on the opening of Rank Organisation films!
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

1970's Barber's Shop Style guide

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 17:20
Gibbo2286 wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 16:16 Maybe a Peaky Blinders haircut would do you Neil.

Didnt ask for a Peaky blinder's cut Gibbo but thats pretty much how it turned out. I've accidentally become fashionable :-D

Anyone got any barbers shop/haircut memories recent or from some time ago to share?

Regards Neil
Barber's shops were the only place where you could buy condoms back in the fifties, after having a haircut I asked (quietly) for a pack, there was a queue of blokes waiting on the seats behind, the barber said loudly "Shouldn't be messing about with that game at your age should he guys." I was twenty four, married with a child and had served two years in the army in Egypt. :( Didn't think I was baby faced.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Time to bring in CEE FAX

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I remember going to the barbers in the '40s when you didn't have a choice, certainly not as a kid, they sat you on the board across the chair and you got a 'short back and sides'.

Strangely not many years later I was working in the TV shop next door but one.

Before Ceefax and the other one, there were the 'trade test colour films' and a number of different test cards as well. A lot of them can be found on You tube. I knew a lot of them by heart as I was watching them every day while repairing TV,s

Peter
doctle

Post by doctle »

I grew up in Northern Ireland where the 60's and 70's closely mirrored the 30's and 40's. The hinterland of the village I come from was the last part of the UK to get rural electrification and the last to get digital TV too. Very old fashioned and ultra polite in some ways eg Mr, Mrs, Miss always used no first names unless people were close friends, aunts and uncles were called aunt X and uncle Y etc. The 1960's of the big cities never made it across the pond. When I started drinking you got guinness, lager or beer, whiskey, rum or gin.
Im not nostalgic it was far from great!
Oh buggle
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 00:06 Before Ceefax and the other one, there were the 'trade test colour films' and a number of different test cards as well.
This site has a superb history of the development of TV broadcasting in the UK.....year by year including those test cards Peter, galleries of television sets for each year and much more. Just pulled this out of it, of nostalgic relevance for myself. The Burnhope transmitter with it red lights was always a beacon for us as we headed home to North West Durham.
https://www.thevalvepage.com/tvyears/19 ... 59text.htm
From the 1959 page on the website ^^^^^
Transmitters
The year sees ITV coverage expand in three areas. On the 15th January Tyne Tees began providing the ITV service for the north-east of England, transmitting on channel 8 from a 100KW transmitter at Burnhope. On the 27th of October Anglia Television began the ITV service for the East of England from the Mendelsham transmitter, at the time the highest mast (1,000ft) in Europe. Soon afterwards, on the 31st of October, Ulster Television began providing the ITV service for Northern Ireland from the Black Mountain transmitter using channel 9. ITV now covered 90% of the UK population.
Meantime, on October 5th a low power (1KW) BBC transmitter installed at Peterborough began operation. Peterborough was almost exactly half way between the Sutton Coldfield and Norwich transmitters but could not receive either of them reliably.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Back in the '70s, episodes of Thunderbirds were used as cheap 625-line colour test transmissions in the mornings. Reason for choice was apparently that the episodes had been shot on high-quality 70mm (!) film stock, and this provided something of far higher quality than and video recording of the time could manage.

There is a fascinating history of BBC television broadcast history here, full of photos and technical detail: http://www.tvstudiohistory.co.uk/old%20 ... htm#colour.
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As a local businessman at the time I was invited by BBC to a big local hotel to be introduced to the intended roll out of Ceefax, I wasn't impressed, it looked like a not very useful gimmick and they were suggesting huge prices (in my opinion) would be charged for its use.

I never did use it.

ITV and channel four had similar setup called Oracle.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for that Neil, very nostalgic. That covers the years when I was most enthusiastic about my job, I think it was certainly the most interesting time of development, I understood it then! Don't understand digital at all, you can't see it on a scope so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist. :wink:

'Transmitter information' was also a feature of the '60s as UHF was beginning to spread across the land. We had already got it in Kent from Crystal Palace, when we moved down here we went back to 405 lines, it was a couple more years before Stockland hill went UHF

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

One of the miscellaneous items on that TV site was this referring to a "Television Train"

As ever with the internet, there is a forum somewhere, which fills in some interesting detail, about a largely forgotten service.....and here is the link. As well as being an educational thing for school trips, it was used more generally for pleasure trips, and even transporting folk to Blackpool during the Glasgow Fair.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt=3437294

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

One has to ask "Why?" much as I do about television - & haircuts! Now let's see, at £7 a throw, how much have I saved by not having a haircut since 1998 (I think)?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
doctle

Post by doctle »

van ordinaire wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 21:36 One has to ask "Why?" much as I do about television - & haircuts! Now let's see, at £7 a throw, how much have I saved by not having a haircut since 1998 (I think)?
How much was a haircut in 1998?
Oh buggle