C5 Audio Connection Problems

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Hamsterboy
My Cars: 2011 Citroen C5 eHDI Touring (Pearlescent White)

Re: C5 Audio Connection Problems

Post by Hamsterboy »

Xantippa wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 20:07 Yatour BTA offers bluetooth audio streaming and works nicely with MyWay. I only play Spotify on my car after I installed that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yatour-Digital ... roen+MyWay

Just don't use that bundled mic, and use BTA only for audio streaming on your phone's bluetooth settings. MyWays internal bluetooth will handle calls nicely and there's no conflict at least with Android phones.

Wow....looks like just the job
How is the audio quality?

HB
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No it's not ideal - but I though the version with USB, SD / MMC card/ Aux Jack would be better for Pat - but at least he has a choice now.
Pat - just to be clear, the Yatour and similar units can only communicate via the CD changer Port - so the display on the head unit of folder and track info and steering wheel control functionality won't be any more than if you had an actual 6 CD Changer fitted in the car. You can only select the CD folder and the track. With the Bluetooth streaming module Xantippa mentioned - you have to choose / select the album directly from the bluetooth device itself and can only go back and forwards for track control with the steering wheel controls and change volume - no browsing of albums and the like.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is also a similar device that does the same just for Bluetooth - it is basically a Bluetooth Reciver than connects to the RCA sockets in the glovebox. You change to AUX and it plays the music - but all control of album choice is via the Bluetooth phone that is playing the music - something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-AUX-Blu ... 0012.m1985

If you look in this French video - from time index 1:28 this guy is trying to fool everyone into thinking his MyWay can stream Bluetooth Audio - which it can't. What he is not telling anyone is he has a hidden bluetooth transmitter on the RCA plugs that is transmitting the audio only through the AUX source. He is trying to show everyone 'look - no wires or connections' but deliberately fails to talk about the bluetooth transmitter hidden in the glovebox! You can see that he has no control of the tracks from the car - he has to use the phone to do everything and the display on the car is just playing the audio! Hi is trying to con everyone!

Hidden Bluetooth Transmitter - Not Bluetooth Audio Streaming!

To be honest, I didn't mention this as it would likely be 6 points and fine no doubt in the UK if caught fiddling with the phone like that when driving. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Marc
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Hamsterboy wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 09:21
Wow....looks like just the job
How is the audio quality?

HB

I've been kind of HiFi-enthusiastist over 20 years, and for me audio quality is good enough - at least with this standard audio system. No hiss, no distortion or nothing like that. Maybe sometimes treble sounds slightly muddy, but most of the time I can't hear any problems.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

This seems to be for the Low-Volume problem when connecting vis the headphone jack to car system Aux sockets....

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hamsterboy
My Cars: 2011 Citroen C5 eHDI Touring (Pearlescent White)

Post by Hamsterboy »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 10:27 No it's not ideal - but I though the version with USB, SD / MMC card/ Aux Jack would be better for Pat - but at least he has a choice now.
Pat - just to be clear, the Yatour and similar units can only communicate via the CD changer Port - so the display on the head unit of folder and track info and steering wheel control functionality won't be any more than if you had an actual 6 CD Changer fitted in the car. You can only select the CD folder and the track. With the Bluetooth streaming module Xantippa mentioned - you have to choose / select the album directly from the bluetooth device itself and can only go back and forwards for track control with the steering wheel controls and change volume - no browsing of albums and the like.

Hey Marc
Thanks for the clarifications man :)
The bluetooth option look like a better one for me. It's actually mainly podcasts I use Spotify for so I wouldn't be messing with the phone etc....
Not too worried about what the head displays :)

Cheers guys

Pat
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Stickyfinger wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 11:20 This seems to be for the Low-Volume problem when connecting vis the headphone jack to car system Aux sockets....
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/

Nice Link - bookmarked for a good read through later!

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

What I don’t understand is why nobody has made a USB box that can communicate the track/ album names via the CAN link to the headunit. Presumably playing a modern CD with track names from the changer would bring up this information?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It’s probably because it can only display what the CD interface would display from a CD changer, hence basic info. Ditto for the AUX, except that is simple audio stereo only, no other data. It is the software within the unit that has to be able to work with and interpret the data and that is not possible from those sources as they were not designed to carry that type of data.

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The RDS should do that.
Mine doesn't but once tried hard and gave up - Eleftheria Arvanitaki "Ektos Programmatos"
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The radio is fine for RDS but still needs to be an RDS capable system, which most are today. There's no encoding carried over the RCA jacks and the CD Changer port is only specifically designed for CD changers to play CDs - the changer will not play MP3 CDs either - you have to use the main CD slot in the head unit that is MP3 compatible to play and get the ID3 tag info coming up. MyWay is ok for basic navigation and for telephone functions, but sucks at music compatibility options - they did state on earlier systems in the manuals that you could play MP3 files from the SD Card OR use the Sat Nav (that operates from the SD card exclusively) - but not both. In reality, it seems that nobody has ever got this to work - and even PSA have finally taken it out of more recent manual! That would of been a good test case if anyone had challenged them on this under false advertising.

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 11:58 The radio is fine for RDS but still needs to be an RDS capable system, which most are today. There's no encoding carried over the RCA jacks and the CD Changer port is only specifically designed for CD changers to play CDs - the changer will not play MP3 CDs either - you have to use the main CD slot in the head unit that is MP3 compatible to play and get the ID3 tag info coming up. MyWay is ok for basic navigation and for telephone functions, but sucks at music compatibility options - they did state on earlier systems in the manuals that you could play MP3 files from the SD Card OR use the Sat Nav (that operates from the SD card exclusively) - but not both. In reality, it seems that nobody has ever got this to work - and even PSA have finally taken it out of more recent manual! That would of been a good test case if anyone had challenged them on this under false advertising.

Good point. If you had specced a Rneg as a factory option and found it has fewer features than the base RD45 you'd be a little miffed. Especially if you were promised MP3 SD compatibility by the dealer.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

It's a bit odd that RT5 and changer don't support CD-text which would make it possible to show artist and track info also with usb/bluetooth-changer. Even the internal cd-player on RT5 doesn't show CD-text.

I think RD45 came available at the same time with RT6. It was RD4 as base model with RT5. Though RD4 with usb-connection box had pretty much same features as RD45, and it might have been an option at the same time with RT5.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Yes, I often wonder why the expensive factory fitted sat nav units had fewer connectivity featuers than the bog standard headunit!