Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by myglaren »

Ionic Electronic and a Tesla Model 3.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Saw a Cupra Born today

https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/our-dna ... hicle.html

Seems that Cupra is the all electric brand name for Seat
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I would think the Cupra Born is the first of that model to be spotted on the thread Richard.

All under the overall wing of the VW Group, set to be an All-Electric Brand by 2030.
https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/brands- ... cupra.html#
CUPRA proves that electrification and performance are a perfect match, and in 2022 its range will expand via models with different battery capacities, as well as a more powerful e-Boost. An exclusive, limited-edition version of the CUPRA Formentor VZ5 will also be introduced. The CUPRA Tavascan, the brand’s second all-electric model, will reach the market in 2024, followed by the brand’s first urban electric car, inspired by the CUPRA UrbanRebel concept, in 2025.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is one lives up my street, wasn't aware it was electric.
Eldest son has a Cupra that s definitely petrol and somewhat insane.

ED:
Just had a walk around and it isn't an electric Cupra.

Looks like this one.
01-new-cupra-formentor-exclusive-petrol-blue-matte-exterior-finish.jpg
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 23:07 I would think the Cupra Born is the first of that model to be spotted on the thread Richard.

Regards Neil
I only clocked it because it had a green reg plate, and only had an inkling what it was as I had seen a vid advertised for a comparison with an ID3 on YT the other day!!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Cupra Born vs the ID3, I haven't actually watched it...

The Kangoo EV got a mention up the thread, and here it gets a savaging. He's got a point... £25k for a van with little more than 100 miles range, limited charger plug in options, but most of all, only a 3kW charger.

Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

RichardW wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 19:51 The Kangoo EV got a mention up the thread, and here it gets a savaging. He's got a point... £25k for a van with little more than 100 miles range, limited charger plug in options, but most of all, only a 3kW charger.
I think he gave it a fair assessment Richard :-D It was a useless van for his needs with the main reason behind it the lack of rapid DC charging. They are increasingly rare but all of the Northumberland chargepoints have 43kW AC outlets which allowed for a bit more rapid ac charging if the vehicle is equipped with an onboard charger to accept it. The van I saw the other day was plugged into a 43kW AC rapid charger but the rate it accepts is determined by the van. It was a ZE33 i Kangoo. (i means that the battery is not leased)

If the chap is right then the Kangoo can't even accept 7kW ac with its on board charger. Edit the chap is wrong!
The Renault Kangoo Z.E. is fitted with 7 kW on-board charger, which covers all applications from slow to fast charging. This means that even when connected to a charge point rated higher than 7 kW, the Renault Kangoo Z.E. will only be capable of charging at up to 7 kW. Zap-map
For on-road charging 7kW is still too slow, but reasonable for a workplace setting where you drive to work, plug in then drive back at the end of the working day, or for a little top up while shopping is done like some of the 7kw posts at Tesco.

Northumberland County Council operate e-NV200 Nissan Vans, again a low range EV, but unlike the chap in the video, the depot has loads of charging points and their working day ends at 4.00pm, so they charge overnight or when not in use, and spend much of their time within the boundaries of a regular defined area. The e-NV200's do have rapid DC Chargers on board which can use 50kW Chademo Charge Points.

REgards Neil
DSC01232.JPG
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 03 Apr 2022, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The Kangoo man is really the worst example of how to run an EV, that van used locally would be ideal for most traders doing local work the high speed trip up the motorway and lack of planning where to charge caused all his grief.
The van has a type two charging set up like my Zoe it will charge at 22Kwh in the Tesco/Lidl/ Morrisons car parks and charge from 20% up to 90% in about twenty five minutes.
I think there are an abundance of charging points in the area where he was located.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 10:05
The van has a type two charging set up like my Zoe it will charge at 22Kwh in the Tesco/Lidl/ Morrisons car parks and charge from 20% up to 90% in about twenty five minutes. I think there are an abundance of charging points in the area where he was located.
temp2.jpg
I had not remembered there were 22kW AC charging posts at Tesco, thought they would be the 7kW AC.

With the Leaf it wouldn't make any difference as the on-board charger will only charge at 6.6kW AC. Occasionally like down at Craster when we park up, have pincic lunch then wander about we will use a 7kW charging post "on the road", but mainly its the 50kW DC chademo we use.

Its quite difficult to find the spec of the Kangoo ZE van, and the older ones used to be known as ZE33 with the 33 bit referring to the kWh battery capacity. I think the van I saw plugged in to the 43kW AC charger cable the other day was a ZE33 still with only the 7kW on board charger, so it would be only charging at that rate.

The Kangoo looks to have a more poverty spec on board charger than the Zoe pending arrival of the new version.

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 03 Apr 2022, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

temp2.png

The New Kangoo will have DC rapid charging for the first time, and the on board AC charger will be uprated to allow 22kW AC charging.
In March 2021 the new Kangoo was announced. The electric model, now to be called "e-Tech Electric" is not expected until the end of 2021. For the first time, this will have DC rapid charging. The on-board charger will be a 22kW AC and 75kW DC. The battery will be 44kWh, giving 165 mile real world range.
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 03 Apr 2022, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

A major EV spotting day yesterday. Due to local road closures I diverted through a housing estate in Radlett where the average house price must be well over a million pounds!! During that little private road adventure I spotted 2 Jaguar iPaces, no less than 4 BMW's, 3 Konas and 3 VW's as well as 2 Tesla 3's, a larger older Tesla not sure of the model and a pair of matching Skoda's. Green flashes before my eyes everywhere and not a charging point in sight!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 12:01 A major EV spotting day yesterday. Due to local road closures I diverted through a housing estate in Radlett where the average house price must be well over a million pounds!! During that little private road adventure I spotted 2 Jaguar iPaces, no less than 4 BMW's, 3 Konas and 3 VW's as well as 2 Tesla 3's, a larger older Tesla not sure of the model and a pair of matching Skoda's. Green flashes before my eyes everywhere and not a charging point in sight!! :-D
Electrification for the well-heeled is well underway :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 12:05

REgards Neil
Indeed it would seem so, but what I did find interesting was not a single Mercedes or Porsche EV to be seen. Plenty of proper ICE ones all over but no EV's. Perhaps that tells the petrol heads from the environmentallists!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 12:05

REgards Neil
And mostly sponsored by the less well off taxpayers. A bonkers policy that cannot possibly continue!!
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

DSCF3493.JPG
DSCF3494.JPG
The Hyundai from last week. He was a bit too quick for me.