Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

A Brand New Thread First timer today. Really the Germans should have a look at the FCF Best Car/Bike Names Thread. One thing the Old British Motorbike industry could come up with was decent names for their products.
Mercedes EQC400 4matic
Mercedes EQC400 4matic
DSC00117.JPG
DSC00118.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

love the parking! wonder how long it will be before someone parks on top of a charger station?
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

And what fun it would be if it was a PHEV with a full fuel tank! Call the Sappers. or Sapeurs
NewcastleFalcon

The new Mercedes trumped them all yesterday being a first. The driver I would describe as a young man very new to the car obvious when he tried to plug in the Chademo connector into his car which has a CCS socket. CCS is rapidly becoming the standard for new electric cars in Europe.

https://electriccarhome.co.uk/charging- ... tor-types/

Would have been a bit rude to ask him how much he was paying for it but if it was on a personal lease this sort of calc would be typical.
https://www.synergycarleasing.co.uk/
https://www.synergycarleasing.co.uk/
Other spots for the day included this Hyundai IoniQ 100% Electric, a KIA Soul EV, as well as our familiar friends TESLA, BMW I3, Leaf new, and Leaf Classic.
The "filled in" Grill tells you its the 100% Electric, the Plug-in Hybrid and Petrol Car with the misleading badge have a more honeycomb style grill.
The "filled in" Grill tells you its the 100% Electric, the Plug-in Hybrid and Petrol Car with the misleading badge have a more honeycomb style grill.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I see EV's on a daily basis driving to work (mostly Tesla Model 3's, Leafs and LEVC Taxi's) so I don't normally post here but I spotted my first MG5 BEV estate in the wild yesterday - and it was a registered Taxi!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A wander around on foot, through a few streets and past several schools and car parks.

Surprising the posh cars in the school car park, loads of new BMW, Audi, Range Rover, Porsche etc.
Nowhere was there a single electric car.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 16:51 A wander around on foot, through a few streets and past several schools and car parks.

Surprising the posh cars in the school car park, loads of new BMW, Audi, Range Rover, Porsche etc.
Some of them are getting quite anonymous and blend in with the rest. Had I not spotted the Mercedes EQC 400 4-matic the other day, I would not have recognised another white one today. No you have to go back to your classic shaped Leaf for an instantly recognisable electric car these days!

Another spot from the other day was a Porsche Taycan in green, a VW ID something or other might have been a ID4, this rather anonymous Audi E-tron.
DSC00119.JPG
I reckon if a few folk copied your walk around their own little corner of the universe, EV ownership increasing but still at the early adopter stage. Probably around 30 ish I know of. The 21 plates are increasing though.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Been to Houghton Regis for lunch and saw 4 Tesla's, 3 x 3s and an S. A Zoe which had a green tagged plate so worth a mention and an I3. My route is entirely via B roads and lanes so not a bad haul!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Not a very frequent spot but this is a TESLA model X. Distinguishing features large SUV thing with a Tesla Mouth.

Really quite similar to the marginally smaller Model Y which is the SUY-ey Crossover shape but with no mouth at the front just like the model 3

This one cos I saw it in a Car park and could read the badges is definitely a Model X.
DSC00134.JPG
DSC00135.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I went for an amble around a big Nissan dealer's forecourt yesterday looking for a used Note. Sadly not one, the forecourt was full of Qashqai's, Juke's, Micra's and Leaf's. I counted 7 Leaf's all awaiting sale and I have to say that close up I was amazed how big they are!! I also came across a source of amusement to me which I will post on the funny picture thread! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

mickthemaverick wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 12:21 I went for an amble around a big Nissan dealer's forecourt yesterday looking for a used Note. Sadly not one, the forecourt was full of Qashqai's, Juke's, Micra's and Leaf's. I counted 7 Leaf's all awaiting sale and I have to say that close up I was amazed how big they are!! I also came across a source of amusement to me which I will post on the funny picture thread! :-D
The Leaf isn't that big really. The length and width is identical to a Xantia down to the cm, interior space is about the same as a Xantia as well. (slightly less rear legroom in the Leaf but slightly bigger boot)

Really, its identical in size to a Xantia inside and out. It only looks bigger because it's several inches taller with a higher seating position and due to the oddball shape.. (at least on the old ones. :) )
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

myglaren wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 16:51 A wander around on foot, through a few streets and past several schools and car parks.

That is only because the Education Authority won't install charging points for the teachers to hog all day.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They mention Lotus.
It was brought to my attention that the Lotus Electric thingy is almost as powerful as the Rimac.
I did see Supercar Blondie driving one about a year ago then promptly forgot about it.

I wonder if there is much collaboration between Lotus and Tesla.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Dormouse wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 21:04 spotted this on BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57253947

I read that piece a couple of weeks ago, and although the journalist who wrote it is prone to fan-boy articles, there are some relevant points.... and a major point he's missed.
The main issue is referred to: "......as soon as electric vehicles become cost-competitive with fossil fuel vehicles, the game will be up." and "But it is only in the last few years that the technology has been available at the kind of prices that make it competitive." Principles are great - if you can afford them.
It doesn't really add up when he compares the growth of computers, the internet, mobile phones, etc to what will happen to the growth of electric cars. Cars are most people's second largest expense in their lifetimes, the same cannot be said for a computer or mobile phone. You can't compare apples with oranges. You can expect people to spend a few hundred here or there on a new gadget, but I wouldn't expect the masses to spend £10k-£20k over what they'd normally spend on buying a car. If the prices of new BEVs rapidly reduces to that of current ICE cars, both brand new and second hand, then yes - expect the take up of BEVs to be breathtaking....... that's assuming the BEV industry can keep up with demand.
The point he misses is he assumes car ownership will continue at its current level and there will be no more disruptive technologies hovering around the horizon. What if the youth of today (gawd help us :lol: ) decide to eschew outright car ownership and go for car share / ride hailing / public transport instead ? Will BEV ownership start to plateau out a little earlier than expected ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(