Room 101 open for deposits.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Room 101 open for deposits.....

Post by myglaren »

A very poor show James.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Requests for feedback after a transaction or deal etc. is completed. The only feedback I believe in is given as a thankyou at the time or a complaint. Hence no complaints is good feedback!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Throw British Gas into this as well - I get a survey asking about how they are doing EVERY time I submit a meter reading.

This makes it all meaningless as nobody is going to bother with such over-kill and surveying everybody to death.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 20:54 ..and bringing up the 200 replies.....

Drum brakes and all the silly springs, handbrake linkages, adjusters, and primus inter pares these ridiculous fasteners

Regards Neil
Just checking they are still in. Today I thought I would get the "fitting pack"...all those silly springs and fittings. Matched to the Brake Shoes.

Not a single one in the packet matched a single original spring on the BB Clio. The piece de resistance was the little brake shoe retainer springs in the picture. Even fully compressed they were too long for the pins supplied in the kit, which were good 5mm shorter than the original pin on the car. No choice, had to fit all the old springs and retainer pin and spring.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Always a pain to have to deal with.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

myglaren wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 10:10 Always a pain to have to deal with.
Amateurs! :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can't argue with that.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Once I learnt the trick of the serrated long nose pliers they ceased to be a problem!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

My previous personal entries re town driving, including the fair cities of Newcastle and Edinburgh.
Spoiler: show
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 16:31 Town Driving in general, and specifically traffic lights which have an amber phase which appears to last a microsecond.

I'll have to have a little review see if I have dumped it before. Drove into Central-ish Newcastle today for the first time in ages. I used to do it regularly, was very familiar with the junctions/speed limits/bus lanes at that time, and the idiosyncrasies of "lanes to get into" well before you find out the inside lane is for left turn only, not straight-on and left, and ditto for the right hand lane.

Emerging from the city limits onto the open road, and country roads was sigh of relief time. Town driving metaphorically is a period of being ordered around and watched. Do this, do that, don't go there, don't stop here, stop/start, slow down speed up, speed cameras/red light cameras/CCTV controlled parking, you will be clamped, no entry, bus lane (9.00am to 7pm every day) etc etc.

REgards Neil

Edit Yes Thought I had put a similar aspect of Auld Reekie into 101 before
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 08:55 Well I am loathed to put Edinburgh in Room 101 as in general it has a special place for me and I have wandered virtually every nook and cranny of it over the years and know it well.

Its been a while since I have driven into it and attempted to park though!

Was heading for the Grassmarket to a particular cake and coffee place I had read about, but abandoned it after a frustrating drive hampered by bus lanes/ traffic lights/ illogical routes and lane markings/ no entries/ no left of right turns etc etc, and when you did get within 400 metres of your intended destination £4 an hour parking if you could find any, and construction vehicles occupying 90% of the potential spaces!

Time to take our well-earned dollar away from Edinburgh Centre, headed out to Stockbridge for coffee and cake at Artisan Roast (excellent coffee!) got parked easily enough in the £2.20 an hour zone and strangely for me thought well that's not bad.

So what goes into room 101?

The Towns and cities around the country which conspire to make it difficult for the visitor to visit.

Regards Neil
I am afraid Edinburgh even since my previous post has become more a more ridiculous place to try to attempt drive a car in or through as discovered at the weekend.

I suppose satnav is virtually compulsory and I didn't have it and instead tried to use, "knowing Edinburgh like the back of your hand knowledge" accumulated over many years, and finding it virtually useless as the no left turn, no right turn, buses only , one way, shepherds you in a completely illogical way as you attempt to get from where you are to where you want to be. From 7 miles out I allowed an hour to drive in and do the simple task of a pick up from a City Centre Hotel, was late and spent much of the time driving round in not very tight circles trying to find side streets to get back to where we had been shepherded away from. And yes those streets tend to be 20mph now and with increasing frustration so easy to exceed.

I take some of the responsibility on myself. Its obvious that attempting to drive a car in Edinburgh City centre is sheer madness, and have to acknowledge that the urban road planners for the city have done a good job of
trying to herd drivers away from the centre, send them up a few dead ends, and round in a few circles which actively discourage future ventures into the city centre in a motor car.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Outdated "traditions" which make no sense in today's world. I understood from this week's parliamentary discussions that it is forbidden territory to call someone a 'liar' in the house of commons. However it is apparently perfectly acceptable to use language that nobody wants to hear in everyday conversation, my honourable friends!!
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I have arrived at the door to Room 101, after being directed by Neil...............fanks. :rofl2:
Before my jounrney to the thead I only had a couple of items I wished to add, but now I have another..........that is long threads without a summary or index!! I have just spent, it could have been more, reading through the first 10 pages of this thread, and I will never get that time back :( So if my requests have already been proposed for deposit I appologise as I did not want to read through the rest of the thread.

Can we put people (the public) in the room? if we can can we have a section for those people who park in a carpark without taking thinking These people will park directly beside you when there are empty bays all around. For example, when I park in an emptish carpark I try to park in a space where the bays either side are empty, and if there are spaces infront so I can drive straight out, some don't think, they will either park in the adjacent bay or infront!

Another to follow another time........ :-#
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

You can put anything (within the general forum rules of decency) at all into the room Stu, it is not subject to others questions. Treat it as your personal space to store all the niggles in your life. Others may read it with a knowing nod or even an occasional raised eyebrow but that is their choice so post away as often as you wish!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Sloppysod wrote: 08 May 2022, 21:28 I have arrived at the door to Room 101, after being directed by Neil...............fanks. :rofl2:
I have just spent, it could have been more, reading through the first 10 pages of this thread, and I will never get that time back :( So if my requests have already been proposed for deposit I appologise as I did not want to read through the rest of the thread.
Like Mick says its your own personal Room 101, so it doesnt matter a jot whether someone has put the same thing into their room 101 before so no need for extensive back-research. So just post away when you feel like it Stu. I'm surprised when the thread goes a month without having something lobbed into it. Just listen to Jeremy Vine every weekday for a month...the thread will be bulging :-D

I could almost put Rutland our County in the spotlight today in here. Absolutely ridiculous that it is a unitary authority with that small and area and population, must be some highly favoured lobbying in the corridors of power to have made that happen.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's about time I opened the 101 vault again, so here it is:

"eBay Abusive Buyer Policy"

:mecker: The biggest load of baloney I've seen in a long time.

There may be some 'bad' buyers out there, but some of the sellers responding on the community Forums seem to want to tar all buyers with the same brush!

I have had this message on several occasions I had to return a defective item. I complained to eBay the first time on account of my pride being hurt and threatened to leave. They apologised in writing and said it was their software, to which I told them to bin their algorithm and get in the real world.

In a market place flooded with fakes, cheap knock-offs and other junk, is it any wonder innocent buyers are returning more items?

I am in the process of returning something now and the message has come up - I'm totally ignoring it. Some rubber feet for a wooden chopping board were so weak (as in like - made of jelly) that the screws have gone right through the thin rubber so they don't hold the feet on the board. I don't care that it's only £5, it's the principle. If you sell junk, expect to get it returned.

Failing a refund from the seller I will simply make a credit card claim the relevant party.

Genuine buyers need to stick together these days as prices have shot up but quality is at an all time low.

I've now ordered another set of 8 from another seller that have metal food-safe metal inserts inside so they won't rip through the rubber when fixing. Double the quantity, a better product and 25% less. :rant2:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
SwissTony
My Cars: Past - Renault 19 16V, Renault 5 GT Turbo, Citroen 2CV, Citroen GSA.

Post by SwissTony »

People who say "should of", "could of" and "would of". My pet hate.

Straight into room 101 with these types. It's basic English! How did these people get through school? Did their teachers never correct them?!

It's..

COULD HAVE
WOULD HAVE
SHOULD HAVE.

.. should of ? WTH? It doesn't even make sense. Not even in the slightest..

Swiss
2011 C3 Picasso in black - The love wagon.
2016 BMW F800R - the throbber between my legs.