Room 101 open for deposits.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Room 101 open for deposits.....

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Sorry fellas I'm on the ban it side of this debate, tobacco killed my younger brother horribly and there's evidence that pot is different but no better health wise, it's already destroying lives and turning healthy youngsters into psychotic wrecks who then move on to the hard stuff.

Legalising pot would bring the people who already have the infrastructure in place to produce and distribute it in huge quantities, people who have never cared for or had an interest in the welfare of their customers, the tobacco barons.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 09:56 Sorry fellas I'm on the ban it side of this debate, tobacco killed my younger brother horribly and there's evidence that pot is different but no better health wise.
Smoking anything is clearly bad for you Eric, which is why I don’t. Your argument about it is slightly off though - nearly everyone I know who uses it is a responsible, 30 something or middle-aged family person, with a proper house, career etc in “nice” areas. The sort of person who might have a toke on a Friday or Saturday night rather than 8 pints and a fight.

From my mother’s 35 year experience as an RMN, my uncle’s 30 years as a drug-rehab social worker, I can tell you it’s not pot that leads to stronger substances. It’s alcohol. I do a little work in the field myself and am retraining to do it full time - I’ll tell you now that nearly everyone who’s had drug issues will have tried their first class-A substance when they were full of pissed-up bravado.. sad but true. Alcohol is the drug that should be illegal, it’s a curse on society and if it were invented now, it would be banned.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Big University Challenge fan but I'm putting an aspect of it into room 101

Especially so for the contests for the crop of older representatives they dig up at this time of year. Indecisive ditherers with a surprising lack of basic general knowledge from a university education and a working life in business/journalism/medicine or whatever.

Try this one......Paxman.....Your bonuses are on Which magazine's 2020 list of the top 50 historic attractions in the UK as rated by its readers.....in each case name the attraction from the description.

First........Rated the Uk's best value historic attraction the Norman Cathedral that overlooks the River Wear.

and the answer from the finest brains of St John's Oxford...........Fountains Abbey....got the Paxman exasperated "NO!!!!" followed by "I'm astonished".

They all shook their heads and couldn't come up with and answer for bonus number 2 which was Culzean Castle apparently the four of them had never heard of it.

and the third the answer was the Royal Yacht Britannia which took a discussion to get, and a rejection of a suggestion of that it might be the Queen Elizabeth.

Believe me its not unusual.

So into my personal room 101 goes "the general level of ignorance of the geography and history of Great Britain"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I don't usually watch University Challenge, but I might make an exception this Christmas when Vyvyan from Scumbag College is going to be on :lol:

https://www.radiox.co.uk/news/tv-film/a ... loving-it/
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Booked
Booked
You don't pre-book something. You either book it, or you don't book it. Pre-booking would be a process involved before the booking of something.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 12:33
You don't pre-book something. You either book it, or you don't book it. Pre-booking would be a process involved before the booking of something.
Good point well made!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Self appointed Covid vaccination experts!! :evil:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 22:45 Self appointed Covid vaccination experts!! :evil:
Is the room big enough for them all Mick? :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

CitroJim wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 17:15
mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 22:45 Self appointed Covid vaccination experts!! :evil:
The beauty of our virtual Room 101 is its infinite expandability Jim :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 17:22
CitroJim wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 17:15
The beauty of our virtual Room 101 is its infinite expandability Jim :-D
A Tardis on steroids :)
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Watching the video Neil posted about the Nio ES6 on the electric cars thread I was reminded of something which has always bugged me. Why do manufacturers and reviewers alike describe a vehicle's boot space in litres? A pointless piece of information for two main reasons. 1) The space described is no doubt calculated using front to back, side to side and floor to roof measurements which means the quoted capacity is only available if you load the back to the roof and thus remove all rear view mirror use. 2) I want to know the actual measurements so I can decide if my stuff will fit in.
So quoting luggage space by volume is now firmly in my personal Room 101.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 10:11 So quoting luggage space by volume is now firmly in my personal Room 101.
Good point well made Mick ;)

Maybe they should do as I recall they did many years ago in sales brochures and show a pile of suitcases next to the open bootlid/tailgate...

Much more informative and relatable...

The Austin Maxi had it right when it's blurb said that with the rear seats folded the load space was the size a full-sized double bed and could be used as such...

As many indeed did :)

In your area of Room 101 may I also lodge the use of a given number of double decker buses, the size of Wales and so many football pitches to describe the size of things please?
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

CitroJim wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 11:03
In your area of Room 101 may I also lodge the use of a given number of double decker buses, the size of Wales and so many football pitches to describe the size of things please?
Of course you may Jim, but I would be intrigued to know why you don't want to put them in your own area? Do they smell? :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

This type of thing Jim.....or is this such a good analogy that you would make an exception.
CitroJim wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 11:03 In your area of Room 101 may I also lodge ,....the size of Wales....to describe the size of things please?
This type of thing Jim.....or is this such a good analogy that you would make an exception.

"An Atom on a pinhead is like a fly in Wales"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 12:07

"An Atom on a pinhead is like a fly in Wales"

Regards Neil
Oh yes, that one can definitely be made an exception 😀🤣 That's clever!

Mick, I was just thinking it would be good to keep related things in the same area although I must say the double-decker does smell a bit: that unmistakable scent of diesel fumes and old bus...
Jim