Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by myglaren »

It allegedly bungs up piston rings eventually.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 11:35Within your comment above Jim, is my 20 year old HDi considered modern? :) :?:
To me, yes!!!

The problem is, as I understand it, with running a common-rail DI diesel on clean straight veg. oil is the significant risk of liquid oil causing gumming due to blow-by past the pistons into the crankcase, especially on a cold engine. Rings are particularly at risk of gumming and then a vicious circle starts up...

And if enough straight veg. gets into the sump the level can rise to the extent the engine is in danger of an uncontrolled runaway...

Also veg may not effectively lubricate the precision parts of the HP pump and other precision parts of the injection system...

An IDI diesel where the oil is injected into a pre-chamber sees it vaporised very effectively under all conditions... Powerful glowplugs and lots of post-heating until the engine is truly hot helps...

To see how badly straight veg. oil gums just look at an XUD that's run on it for several years... It looks like an old chip pan :shock: :lol:

I've rebuilt Bosch diesel injection pumps that have run on veg. and I've had to chisel off the gummed deposits...
Peter.N. wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 12:07 The earlier 406's had the XUD engine which would quite happily run on chip fat but I think the Hdi will be a bit more particular on account of the fact that the injection pressure is about 20 times higher. Not heard of anyone who has tried it but I expect someone will pop up and prove me wrong.
With a Bosch VP or AS pump, yes... Not if they have a Lucas DPC...
myglaren wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 13:04 It allegedly bungs up piston rings eventually.
Yes, as I understand Steve... That is so...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Thanks Jim, I knew about the cold engine issues which is why I went for the dual fuel system in my Mitsubishi's but my concerns are about the injection pump, so having read some more myself and taking on board what has been said here I have decided to abandon that plan!! Back to the drawing board :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Wasn't it Xac that had huge problems after running veg for a while?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 18:10 Wasn't it Xac that had huge problems after running veg for a while?
Oh gosh yes, It was his engine and pump, amongst several, I took a chisel to in order to remove the gummed-up veg. residue...

Technically it's described as polymerisation... To me it looked and felt more like Bakelite :twisted: :lol:

Great fun and happy days :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

I ran my XUD C15 on veg oil for a few years (4?). The van died of rust before the engine did. I had a bosch pump so that was OK, and put in an inline heater. Sadly I didn't take the opportunity to look inside to see what condition it was in at the end. Seemed OK.
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Consider it done! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The Govt went cold on a new scrappage scheme back in July 2020 as reported here by the RAC. Currently the only scrappage schemes are those offered on trade ins by certain manufacturers, and in ULEZ zones. Again the RAC has done a piece (Nov 2020) on that here . Manufacturers schemes quoted as at Nov 2020.

Now to the point of the post. The last Govt sponsored scrappage scheme is given a particularly interesting take by the author of Petrol Blog with a French car flavour, and more to the point some gorgeous photos of the cars. So here's the link for the Citroen page, the same treatment is given to Renault and Peugeot models.

I'll nick one of the pics as a taster (more than qualifies for the "Wheel meet again" thread), for me definitely an interesting browse...
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Can't vouch for the accuracy but one of the FCF's favourites did feel the full force of the axe and its replacement the Xsara fared almost as badly.
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Surprised at this...thought they must have got it wrong on the sales particulars, on a local sale that popped up on fbook.

How much Vehicle Excise Duty would you pay in 2021 on an

AUDI TT S LINE TDI ULTRA 2015, 1968cc first reg September 2015

answer
Spoiler: show
£30......120g/kg CO2
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Before or after the infamous VW fudging?
NewcastleFalcon

Well shortly after that car was first registered, this article , along with many others at the time reported that VW admitted "irregularities" in the carbon dioxide levels emitted by 800,000 of its cars. Whether this was followed through into the various judgements or settlements I dont know.

I was surprised that 2015 Audi TT Diesel with a 2 Litre Engine fell into the a £30/Year tax category car due to its low CO2 emissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... 0-vehicles

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

A while ago, one of the motoring magazines used to publish tests on mpg every 10 mph from 30 to 80 on a wide range of vehicles.
I should to see the same again with the associated emissions. Would make for very interesting reading and probably scandalise the industry when the actual real world figures were revealed.
Now, anyone brave enough?
ps, beware low flying piggery.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros