C4 heater/air con not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Arthuros-+
My Cars: Citroën c4 Grand Picasso 2.0 hdi 16 v

Re: C4 heater/air con not working

Post by Arthuros-+ »

Hi, got the code for BSI it is F5FF just as before. Will try to clean the fuse box maybe lucky there. Thanks guys for all your support.
Arthuros-+

Post by Arthuros-+ »

ImageCleaning the fusebox is just by opening it and spray electric contact cleaner on the fuse housing. If this will work would be great but I have no big hopes as the contacts looked ok before cleaning. But the relays cannot be cleaned or repaired if they are faulty as you can see they are embedded in the resin. I will try it tomorrow and keep you posted. :?
Attachments
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would spray a proper contact cleaner (I use something called Servisol) into each plug and socket and then plug/unplug them a few times. That way the action should help remove any corrosion/dirt on the metal.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Arthuros-+

Post by Arthuros-+ »

Hi guys,haven't had any success so far, I took it to a local garage to have code reading,it came up with blower motor code. But we know there is no power going to the motor. So now have been reading on forums and others had the temperature sensor to blame,others had the electronic control module. I took both of them out for cleaning and visual inspection but found no visible damage to either. Could the display unit be the one to blame? It has lights and all icons are there as everything is normal. This one is a dual zone control ac. Thanks for all your info so far
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I’ve just been going back over these posts, and because it has been tagged into an existing thread with similar issues, I’ve just realised that I didn’t ask whether you checked the blower control module yet? Power is going to the blower motor itself, but if the blower control unit in the diagram I posted (item 3) is duff, then it will not pass the current onto the motor.

These are usually bolted on to the blower motor itself and can be replaced independently.

I could of saved you opening the fuse box, as there are no serviceable parts inside, but I guess you know that now!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Arthuros-+

Post by Arthuros-+ »

Hi Marc, I have taken the blower control unit out but haven't seen anything to look like faulty on the board inside it. How can you check if is faulty or is good? Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Looks won't help if the resistors are shot - these do fail and often it would seem. These modules are not really serviceable for the DIYer, and just need replacing - but quality of replacement units can be a factor - a decent branded one should be sought wherever possible as the PSA originals can be anything around £160 depending on type and vehicle. If you can bypass the control module and determine that the blower works, then I think you may have your answer.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Arthuros-+

Post by Arthuros-+ »

Blower is working.so the module is to blame then... Found on eBay replacement. Will see if it's the answering my question
Marcol
My Cars: Peugeot 308

Post by Marcol »

I've just tried replacing the control panel on my 308 ( same aircon system and fuse box) didnt work, so I've tried the motor n it works, replaced the resistor, bridged the 2 wires in the fuse box, still nothing, and now I've tried the control module, I've seen talk of an ignition cable being the issue, could it be that?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It seems that you have changed enough random parts, and it is time to measure some voltages to see where there is poser, and where there isn't.
lcwin
My Cars: citroen xantia, C5

Post by lcwin »

Hi let me give you guy another tip. Peugeot and citroens tend to use small 30 to 40A fuse for the aircon system. I have intermittent aircon system function in my daughter 206. after checking numerous times I finally realised the fuse is okay BUT the contact for the fuse will sometime spark at the contact points between fuse legs and the fuse metal gripper when the aircon system is switch on. If you use a multimeter to test you will probably get a false positive as current drawn during testing is very low. What I did was

Clean the fuse metal legs with 1000 and 1500 sandpaper lubricated with contact cleaner.
Use a fine thin metal file to push the fuse holder contacts closer together for a firmer grip and also lightly file the side of fuse gripper
contact. Clean sparingly with contact cleaner. Make sure when inserting the fuse a firm push in is required . If the fuse is easy to insert
then you will need to do again this steps.
Never spray too much contact cleaner as the cold blast will promote water condensation on the metal parts and will wreck havoc with
all the contacts and connectors in the fusebox.
PSA Fusebox modules and connectors are not so well design compare with the japanese counterpart. Alway look for bad contacts and
connectors if you have intermittent faults. Buy good quality fuse and relays .
Marcol
My Cars: Peugeot 308

Post by Marcol »

Booked in with the best reviewed local auto electrician for Tuesday, immediate problem is, I live in Perth Australia n over the weekend it's gonna be 40°C, even or here that's deadly weather n I'll be out with 2 babies and on Monday I have doctors appointments that they need to go to, SO, I tried an experiment this evening with butchering the wire from my 12v cigarette socket vacuum wire and attaching it straight to the blower motor so that on Monday I at least have full Aircon while it's plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket, got my hopes up when it worked for about 5 seconds. Have I knackered/burnt out the plug or flimsy wire? Socket still works fine so I haven't blown any fuses.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Be careful! The fan motor running flat out probably draws 30 A but the accessories socket is probably only rated at about 15 A.
Arthuros-+

Post by Arthuros-+ »

Hi guys,I have changed the control module without any success, have also changed the control panel but again no better output. Have run out of options, will try to clean again those contacts. The blower is working when direct power is fed to it.
TC542
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2012 eHDI

Post by TC542 »

petef wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 18:56 Just to be clear the bridging was done by splicing into the two wires.......
Hi All . . . Many thanks to all for this post . . I was recently in Australia . . A family member lent me their spare car . .
C4 1.6HDi . . But the Heater Fan/Air Con was not working . . .Temperature in the high 30degC . . !!
For 4 days we drove around with all the windows open. . . Then I thought . . 'I can fix this. . . onto this forum.
Connected a 20Amp link-fuse across these 2 wires . .and Hey Presto! . . Air Con and Fan working fine.
For the next 3 days I was driving around in blissful coolness.
Many thanks to all that posted.
(My brother-in-law has now ordered a spare part, fuse box from UK, and will fit it soon . . . ;-)
BR, tc542