The Pickled Egg Library

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: The Pickled Egg Library

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Another item from The Ultimate Book of Heroic Failures, and it will be obvious WHY I have typed it up.

Our Sort of Bomb,

Digging near his home in Cottishall in Norfolk in September 2004, David Page unearthed a rusting piece of metal resembling a camping gas cylinder. Only when he pushed the button at one end did it occur to him that this might be a highly dangerous unexploded bomb. Clearly something had to be done.

Sweating with fear, he phoned the police and was told not to let go. With tremendous ingenuity he taped the device to his hand so he could not release the trigger-like button. 'I was absolutely terrified that I would be blown into a million pieces. The woman police operator kept telling me that it would be OK, but I said to her "You're not the one holding the bomb"'.

As an extra precaution he buried his hand in a barrel of sand, 'I thought, "If it does go off I hopefully only lose my arm"'. What a man.

Police arrived and cordoned off a two-mile area, then called in the army. 'Tell my family I love them if the worst happens', Mr. Page told the police telephone operator. There was no need because his equally courageous wife Joanne now arrived and refused to leave his side.
Spoiler: show
As it turned out, the bomb was a Citroen car part. Was his courage in any way diminished by the facts? Of course not. Incredibly, there is no medal the Queen can give this brave man. Perhaps Citroen could honour him?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My first forays into the world of electronics was very much via old TVs and to a lesser extent radios. I got good enough at fixing TVs by the age of 12 to land a nice little Saturday and School Holiday job at or local TV shop, working in the workshop and out on the road with the resident engineer doing field calls.

I worked there right up until I left home to undertake an apprenticeship that would lead to a long and interesting professional radio engineering career. My grounding in domestic TV and radio helped no end...

I have never lost my love of tellies from the 60s and 70s and my early experiences of being in the trade and still have it. I was still fixing them up until the late 80s as a side-hustle.

A few days ago, in a TV Servicing Nostalgia Group I follow on Facebook, I spotted this book has just been published. I just had to get it :)
20240108_130657.jpg
It's just arrived... I could tell some tales from many field calls too ;)

I'm wondering if the author was ever offered payment for his work at a customer's house in the form of a 'hairy cheque'... I'll let you all work out what that actually means ;) All I can say that I was - just the once, memorably!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Maybe a little niche for the general PE Library readership...
20240202_134243.jpg
It is, I must admit, a bit heavy-going in places but a veritable bible for the job I do :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 14:32 Maybe a little niche for the general PE Library readership...

It is, I must admit, a bit heavy-going in places but a veritable bible for the job I do :)
And maybe not!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, I know at least one other member of this fine forum who's a very skilled and competitive time triallist😉 You know him too Mick...
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Indeed I do, not to mention the Scottish contingent, which is why I said maybe not! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!