1.6hdi oil change - suction method?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bick

1.6hdi oil change - suction method?

Post by Bick »

Hi all anyone here use the suction method to do an oil change on the 1.6hdi engine.

As some of you will know the design of the sump means approx 300ml remains in the sump when drained via the sump plug.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: 1.6hdi oil change - suction method?

Post by demag »

Get the oil warm first otherwise it's a pig to draw out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Bick

Post by Bick »

demag wrote:Get the oil warm first otherwise it's a pig to draw out.

Many thanks - so you have done a change on a 1.6hdi?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I had a Peugeot Partner van with the 1.6 engine the fleet service company used to jack it up on the nearside, so that the wheel was a LONG way up (easily 6" from ground to wheel). That helped to get a lot more of the oil out of the sump plug.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

This modification lets you get a lot more out :!:

2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

No only used suction on Reno 1.5 diesel. Engine was cold and it was a pig to do.[emoji58]

Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Below is the wording of what supposedly was a technical bulletin issued by Citroen regarding the correct procedure for changing the oil on the 1.6 Hdi unit. It specifically states that suction methods should not be used. (I can't verify that this was a genuine, Citroen-issued Technical Bulletin.)

OIL CHANGE PROCEDURE ON ALL DV6 ENGINES

It is necessary to follow a specific oil change procedure on all DV6 and DV6U engines so as to ensure that no used oil remains to mix with the new oil.

The following method must be used:

• The engine oil temperature must be at least 50°C :
- the engine oil temperature is considered to be at 50°C when the water temperature indicator is between 80°C and 90°C or the cooling fan has cut in
• ensure that the vehicle is level (side to side and fore and aft)
• remove the oil filter to allow the circuit to drain completely
• remove the oil filler cap and the dipstick
• remove the drain plug
• allow the oil to drain by gravity for at least 10 minutes (DO NOT USE SUCTION METHODS)
• fit a new oil filter
• refit the drain plug with a new sealing washer
• fill the engine with quantity of oil recommended for the engine
• refit the oil filler cap and the dipstick
• run the engine at idle until the oil pressure warning lamp goes out (about 1 minute)
• wait 5 minutes
• check the oil level using the dipstick: the level should be as close as possible to, but not exceeding the maximum mark (1) so as to be between (1) and (3)

For information, the lower mark (2) = Min (0%) the upper mark (1) = Max (100%) the intermediate mark (3) = ¾
4 of 4

CONSEQUENCES OF NOT KEEPING TO THE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS

If the customer does not have the oil changed at the recommended intervals, the oil will become excessively polluted and will no longer ensure the correct lubrication of the engine. One of the first consequences is inadequate lubrication of the turbocharger bearings causing a failure which is repeated after the turbocharger is replaced. Subsequent symptoms resulting from the reduced level of lubrication will be a noisy engine and then destruction of the engine.

We remind you that if the customer does not keep to the servicing intervals recommended in the Maintenance and Guarantee Guide, the customer will be responsible for the durability of the mechanical parts of the engine.
In this case, the any related repairs needed are not covered by the new vehicle warranty.

CONSEQUENCES OF NOT FOLLOWING THE OIL CHANGE PROCEDURE

If the oil changes are not done as described above, all deposits of old oil will not be removed and will very quickly pollute the new oil, accelerating the ageing of the oil in the engine lubrication circuit (even causing the oil to congeal).

The consequences for the engine are the same as if the oil change intervals are not observed. As a result, any related repairs needed are not covered under the new vehicle warranty.
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Bick wrote:Hi all anyone here use the suction method to do an oil change on the 1.6hdi engine.

As some of you will know the design of the sump means approx 300ml remains in the sump when drained via the sump plug.
Are you sure? On my 2009 1.6 Hdi X7 C5 Tourer, there is a hole drilled through the threads of the sump boss so almost all the oil can drain out - assuming the hole is not blocked of course!
Bick

Post by Bick »

Bob L'eponge wrote:Below is the wording of what supposedly was a technical bulletin issued by Citroen regarding the correct procedure for changing the oil on the 1.6 Hdi unit. It specifically states that suction methods should not be used. (I can't verify that this was a genuine, Citroen-issued Technical Bulletin.)

OIL CHANGE PROCEDURE ON ALL DV6 ENGINES

It is necessary to follow a specific oil change procedure on all DV6 and DV6U engines so as to ensure that no used oil remains to mix with the new oil.

The following method must be used:

• The engine oil temperature must be at least 50°C :
- the engine oil temperature is considered to be at 50°C when the water temperature indicator is between 80°C and 90°C or the cooling fan has cut in
• ensure that the vehicle is level (side to side and fore and aft)
• remove the oil filter to allow the circuit to drain completely
• remove the oil filler cap and the dipstick
• remove the drain plug
• allow the oil to drain by gravity for at least 10 minutes (DO NOT USE SUCTION METHODS)
• fit a new oil filter
• refit the drain plug with a new sealing washer
• fill the engine with quantity of oil recommended for the engine
• refit the oil filler cap and the dipstick
• run the engine at idle until the oil pressure warning lamp goes out (about 1 minute)
• wait 5 minutes
• check the oil level using the dipstick: the level should be as close as possible to, but not exceeding the maximum mark (1) so as to be between (1) and (3)

For information, the lower mark (2) = Min (0%) the upper mark (1) = Max (100%) the intermediate mark (3) = ¾
4 of 4

CONSEQUENCES OF NOT KEEPING TO THE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS

If the customer does not have the oil changed at the recommended intervals, the oil will become excessively polluted and will no longer ensure the correct lubrication of the engine. One of the first consequences is inadequate lubrication of the turbocharger bearings causing a failure which is repeated after the turbocharger is replaced. Subsequent symptoms resulting from the reduced level of lubrication will be a noisy engine and then destruction of the engine.

We remind you that if the customer does not keep to the servicing intervals recommended in the Maintenance and Guarantee Guide, the customer will be responsible for the durability of the mechanical parts of the engine.
In this case, the any related repairs needed are not covered by the new vehicle warranty.

CONSEQUENCES OF NOT FOLLOWING THE OIL CHANGE PROCEDURE

If the oil changes are not done as described above, all deposits of old oil will not be removed and will very quickly pollute the new oil, accelerating the ageing of the oil in the engine lubrication circuit (even causing the oil to congeal).

The consequences for the engine are the same as if the oil change intervals are not observed. As a result, any related repairs needed are not covered under the new vehicle warranty.

Yes saw this years ago but things have moved on now.

Again if anyone changes there own oil that has a 1.6hdi have you tried the suction method LOL
Bick

Post by Bick »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:When I had a Peugeot Partner van with the 1.6 engine the fleet service company used to jack it up on the nearside, so that the wheel was a LONG way up (easily 6" from ground to wheel). That helped to get a lot more of the oil out of the sump plug.

Thanks James but i already do this but its getting harder for me to get underneath nowadays due to my health. So i was looking to see if i could make things a little easier for me, i hate taking my vehicles into someone else but have to face facts on some of my bigger jobs. I was hoping to carry on with my own servicing if i could for as long as i can anyway, its a bit sad when you used to be on the tools and obviously do or your own vehicles - would not of been much of a mechanic would i if i could not do that lol. But like i say im no so well now and getting under the bugger hurts, but if that is what it takes to do it right i will.
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Bick wrote: Yes saw this years ago but things have moved on now.
How have things 'moved on'? Do Citroen now recommend using the suction method, even for cars that they previously said should be properly drained? From what I have seen Citroen have actually gone the other way, making the oil change requirements more stringent. For example, by increasing the specification of the oil the engines should use.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Thanks for your input Bob but i take it you cant answer my question so:

If any of you guys have drained a 1.6hdi via the suction method i am all ears - many thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I've not done it with a sucker, but I have done 90k in 1.6 HDis, so 8-10 oil changes, including having the sump off the C4 3 times....

First, that oil change advice looks suspect to me - in all the changes I have done, I have never seen the low oil pressure light, and certainly not for a minute!!

The 300ml staying in the sump is also a myth. With the oil drained and the sump removed, the oil remaining is no where near 300ml, perhaps 50ml, hardly enough to pour out, and even though the sump was off because of turbo failure initially, and then low oil pressure twice, there was no sludge in the sump - the strainer was blocked with flakes of carbon.

So, I think it will be OK with a sucker - change the oil more frequently than the official interval - 6-8k - and monitor the injectors for signs of loose clamps and leakage, and get the seals done when they start to leak. Check when you suck the oil out that you get the same amount you are putting back in. I usually reckon on 3.5 litres to re-fill to about 1/2 way.
Richard W
Bick

Post by Bick »

Hi Richard thanks for your imput i remember the problems you had with the C4 and its interesting what you say about the amount of oil left in the sump. You have been there done that so your advise is good on the 50ml remaining.

Yes always good advice in the injectors mine were nowhere near as tight as i feel they should have been from new. All tightened and rechecked every oil change with none loose, leaks found.

Ive read on a forum that there is a restriction in the bottom of the 1.6hdi dipstick tube - did you notice anything when you had the sump off - ive never come across anything like that before and ive rebuilt just a few engines.

Like you i think the Citroen bulletin is a bit suspect you never know where these things come from and they become set in stone before you know it.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

RichardW wrote:.... I usually reckon on 3.5 litres to re-fill to about 1/2 way.
Think you missed "On the Dipstick" off the end of that post :wink:

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer