I-Spy AA Village Signs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: I-Spy AA Village Signs

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Went seeking this

Old AA sign on shed at Roadhead

© Copyright Rose and Trev Clough and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

This is where it used to be
This is not an AA Village Sign, but is where the AA Village Sign was!
This is not an AA Village Sign, but is where the AA Village Sign was!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and when the goodle streetview caamera passed in 2010 the sign was still there

Roadhead Cumbria AA Village Sign in situ 2010

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I-Spy AA Village Signs: The List...Join in

Today without engineering a visit we came across this by chance on a little trip to Herefordshire
DSC00295.JPG
DSC00293.JPG
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 May 2018, 10:52 This is, unless you know different, the most comprehensive list of AA Village Signs in Roadside locations in the United Kingdom. So...oo many things you can do with it! Is there one near you :?:

Here's the challenge :!: . Go and take a photo of your bike/dog/car next to one and post it up....hours of pointless endless fun :-D . Roughly 70 on the list.
Glos/Hereford/Worcs
Spoiler: show
Hawkesbury Upton,Cromhall,Newent,Hillesley,Collington,Woonton,Almeley,Pembridge,Bredon,Clifton on Teme
Norfolk/Suffolk/Notts/Linc/Leic
Itteringham,Kersey,Hartest,Sewstern,Thoresway,Northorp,Langar,Tythby
South (Berks,Northants,Herts/Dorset/Hants/Oxon)
Fringford (Oxon) , Winterbourne (Berks), Tarrant Gunville (Dorset) , Cheddington (Bucks), Tichborne Down (Hants) , Itchen Stoke (Hants) , Anstey(Herts) , Kings Cliffe (Northhants)
South West (Devon/Corn/Somer/Wilts)
Megavissey,Mylor Bridge,St Mawes,St Breward,Marldon,Wiggarton,Wearne,Halse,Staple Fitzpaine,Lydeard St Lawrence,Upton,Clapton,Ramsbury,Luckington,Brixton Deverill
Wales
Bosherston,Llanddewi Brefi,Capel Dewi,Y Ferwig,GrosMont,Warren,Cresswell Quay,Hundleton,West Williamston,
Yorkshire
Seaton,North Dalton,East Harsley,Langton,Broughton,Aldborough
North-West England/Scotland/Ireland
Lower Whitley and Norley (Cheshire);Patrickswell,Duncormack and Instiogue (Ireland); Arnprior (Stirling Scotland)
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 30 Jun 2020, 10:18, edited 5 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I-Spy AA Village Signs

Herefordshire is full of lovely villages, quite a few in black and white!

Another nice pair today Almeley and Woonton not a kick in the pants from each other.
nfalcon own work
nfalcon own work
nfalcon own work
nfalcon own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I used to stand in for the manager at our company's Hereford shop back in the fifties, loved the place, full of beautiful girls, eye candy. :)
I knew most of the villages, a large part of our custom was gypsy, they were there for the hop and fruit picking .

One of the villages was called Suckley, some local wags regularly removed the ' le ' from the name on the signpost and replaced it with an ' m '
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Worcestershire's Finest if you are ever in the vicinity...

AA village name plaque on Pottery Cottage, Bredon

© Copyright Humphrey Bolton and

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

shame I missed that, we were back there this weekend to collect an eBay purchase. Lovely spot though, will visit again. Great Car Boot Sale there too "The Ketch", Sunday mornings. I had to resist Oxy Acetylene gear with BOC bottles for £100 ono
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Looks like the sign at Bredon was still there on Pottery Cottage in August 2016 when the google streetview camera passed by.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0306967 ... 312!8i6656

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

AA Village Signs-thread revival

Perhaps some members didnt realise this thread existed...

Recently came across another in the delightful village of Kersey in Suffolk
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 22:59 Well a couple of little fascinating discoveries about Kersey before We even get to the Pub!

It has a "famous" watersplash, but also a TR7 Convertible in the geograph pic!

Kersey watersplash at Spring

© Copyright Trevor Alder and

..and it is one of the few villages in the UK with a round AA village sign

Church Hill and AA village sign, Kersey

© Copyright Humphrey Bolton and
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nateby, Westmorland on the road from Kirkby Stephen up and over to Swaledale.
May 14th 2018
May 14th 2018
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Came across this today. Not in its original location but in the Bridge End Public House Ruabon
So where is Ruabon...2.8 Miles from the famous Pontcysyllte Aqueduct & Canal World Heritage Site
Old AA Sign located in the Bridge End PH on the northwest side of the B5605 Bridge Street, Ruabon. Ruabon community. This is the Circular, village name on black band, no Motor Union symbol or name type, dating from 1923 showing distances Wrexham 5¼ Llangollen 6 London 180.<br /><br />There were five series of AA signs, mostly dating from 1923 and made by Francis &amp; Co / Franco in Deptford, London. The village name and distance to London or Dublin were normally displayed.<br />Milestone Society National ID: DEN-RUABON
Old AA Sign located in the Bridge End PH on the northwest side of the B5605 Bridge Street, Ruabon. Ruabon community. This is the Circular, village name on black band, no Motor Union symbol or name type, dating from 1923 showing distances Wrexham 5¼ Llangollen 6 London 180.

There were five series of AA signs, mostly dating from 1923 and made by Francis & Co / Franco in Deptford, London. The village name and distance to London or Dublin were normally displayed.
Milestone Society National ID: DEN-RUABON
and apart from the aqueduct and canal nearby what is Ruadon notable for...
These things of course, the area, and the firm of J.C.Edwards was a brick and tile making powerhouse.

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 16 Mar 2023, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nice one Neil :D Ruabon used to be the site of a big and important railway marshalling yard and junction... The Terminus of the long-gone Ruabon to Barmouth line...

Now just a shadow of its former self...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

The Toft sign was, until recently, on a private house that had been a pub, it must have closed in the 50’s. I started drinking in about 62-63 (aged 15-16) and it was closed before then. Pubs are almost a thing of the past now!
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

momag46 wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 08:08 The Toft sign was, until recently, on a private house that had been a pub, it must have closed in the 50’s. I started drinking in about 62-63 (aged 15-16) and it was closed before then. Pubs are almost a thing of the past now!
momag46 wrote: 17 May 2018, 10:06 Just noticed the ‘Toft’ AA sign post. I live at Bourne so just up the road from Toft.
The sign was on the side of a house in the village that had been the Butchers Arms pub, I didn’t know it had been moved to the hotel (that had been a private house until the early eighties).

Maurice
Thanks Maurice nice to see a new entry on the thread. I presume the repro sign (or maybe the original with a bit of a paint job restore) could still be in the Toft Country House Hotel & Golf Club, Toft, Bourne, Lincs
Neil

PS Popped up a photo of the old Butchers arms on the Pubs Gallery thread here...
viewtopic.php?p=748879#p748879
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This one is just down the Road from the Blind Fiddler

Yellow AA Road Sign, Rose Cottage, Anstey, Hertfordshire

© Copyright Christine Matthews and

Selected from the internet's most comprehensive list of such things by pure logic as a decent bet for possible participation. :-D

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 May 2018, 10:52 This is, unless you know different, the most comprehensive list of AA Village Signs in Roadside locations in the United Kingdom. So...oo many things you can do with it! Is there one near you :?:

Here's the challenge :!: . Go and take a photo of your bike/dog/car next to one and post it up....hours of pointless endless fun :-D . Roughly 70 on the list.
Glos/Hereford/Worcs
Hawkesbury Upton,Cromhall,Newent,Hillesley,Collington,Woonton,Almeley,Pembridge,Bredon,Clifton on Teme
Norfolk/Suffolk/Notts/Linc/Leic
Itteringham,Kersey,Hartest,Sewstern,Thoresway,Northorp,Langar,Tythby
South (Berks,Northants,Herts/Dorset/Hants/Oxon)
Fringford , Winterbourne ,Tarrant Gunville , Cheddington ,Tichborne Down , Itchen Stoke , Anstey , Kings Cliffe
South West (Devon/Corn/Somer/Wilts)
Megavissey,Mylor Bridge,St Mawes,St Breward,Marldon,Wiggarton,Wearne,Halse,Staple Fitzpaine,Lydeard St Lawrence,Upton,Clapton,Ramsbury,Luckington,Brixton Deverill
Wales
Bosherston,Llanddewi Brefi,Capel Dewi,Y Ferwig,GrosMont,Warren,Cresswell Quay,Hundleton,West Williamston,
Yorkshire
Seaton,North Dalton,East Harsley,Langton,Broughton,Aldborough
North-West England/Scotland/Ireland
Lower Whitley and Norley (Cheshire);Patrickswell,Duncormack and Instiogue (Ireland); Arnprior (Stirling Scotland)
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey