Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Quite a rare sight....an Aeroplane

Took a picture of it here
er...it may be just out of shot
er...it may be just out of shot
Never mind with Flightradar24 I can tell you that it was this. Look it up quick enough and you can identify any "unidentifiable flying object"
but this is it!
but this is it!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 10:44 Quite a rare sight....an Aeroplane

Took a picture of it here

Wide-angle lens Neil?
NewcastleFalcon

Just my little point and shoot camera, tiny dot very high in the sky with no vapour trail with with just the screen on the back of the camera to "hit the target". Yes too much for it :-D

The other camera which is still out of batteries, has a through the lens view which it better for hitting the target and considerably more zoom-in capacity (18X) so I would have done a better job with that :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Intense magnification revealed a possible black dot in the centre of the yellow circle and ringed with my black ring. If not your plane Neil keep an eye out for aliens at the charging points today :-D
Neil's work edited
Neil's work edited
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 08:34
CitroJim wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 06:39

It's on borrowed time as all production of sodium lamps worldwide has now ceased :cry: A shame as I much prefer the warm sodium glow over the harsh white of the modern LED...
Am I right in thinking that as they "warmed up" the sodium lamps changed from a red glow turning to an orange before the full yellow emerged :?:
As Mick said...

Yes, that was the 'Penning Mixture' glowing - a set of gasses that would ionise easily and get some warmth into the lamp to get the cold and often solid sodium melted and vaporised so that the lamp could properly get going...

I'm fortunate to have a sodium lamp here - an ex-MK streetlight head - and I love to switch it on every now and again and relive old times and watch it go from a dull red glow to a full brightness sodium glow,,,

They were very efficient but suffered from having no ability to render any colour as the output was at one wavelength...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 12:11 Intense magnification revealed a possible black dot in the centre of the yellow circle and ringed with my black ring. If not your plane Neil keep an eye out for aliens at the charging points today :-D

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Oh Mick, you do make me giggle :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Not knowing about these things apart from sodium bombing across the surface of water, and being less reactive than Potassium, I imagine sodium vapour is good wholesome stuff which doesnt leak out of the enclosure it is in in a street light!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 17:24 They were very efficient but suffered from having no ability to render any colour as the output was at one wavelength...
Which is allegedly a bonus for astronomical photographers/photographic astronomers - (gadgies that take photos of stars)
Apparently the light pollution from them is inconsequential as the spectrum they use is invisible to digital cameras - as I say, allegedly.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 17:30 I imagine sodium vapour is good wholesome stuff which doesnt leak out of the enclosure it is in in a street light!
It's not the nicest of stuff Neil but in a streetlight bulb it's contained in a very tough Dewar Flask (like a Thermos Flask) as it's under pressure, the bulb runs very hot and the being in a flask insulates it both from the cold, to keep the necessary heat in and helps the Penning Mixture do it's job effectively to get the lamp to full brightness quickly...

The inner glass of the Dewar Flask is borosilicate - Pyrex - so that extremes of temperature can be coped with and to allow a good seal on the wires going into the bulb. Borosilicate has a very low coefficient of expansion which is why Pyrex doen't shatter when you fill a cold bowl with boiling water...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 17:35
CitroJim wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 17:24 They were very efficient but suffered from having no ability to render any colour as the output was at one wavelength...
Which is allegedly a bonus for astronomical photographers/photographic astronomers - (gadgies that take photos of stars)
Apparently the light pollution from them is inconsequential as the spectrum they use is invisible to digital cameras - as I say, allegedly.

Yes, precisely Steve... The single narrow spectral line emitted by sodium is very easy for astronomers to notch out using a simple filter.

New LED lights are a right 'mare in this respect...
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I have had a long hard search for a decent 18000 post congratulatory picture for Steve and sadly nothing has jumped out at me. There are the usual railway locos and ships available but I decided that as I couldn't find a single picture worth posting for 18000 I would post 18000 very small pictures which when put together give a very pleasant picture:
18000 piece jigsaw
18000 piece jigsaw
Well done Steve!!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I take it you have counted all 1800 of the creatures in the 'photo'?

I would have taken my usual lazy way with a photo of ants :)

Or crabs
christmas-island-red-crab-gecarcoidea-natalis-H3HG02.jpg
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

18000 Steve, of course!! :^o :^o :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Have a beer on me and make a post,

Bit of a trappist day so far on the OTCL so what better than
break the vow of silence
break the vow of silence

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I know it is not a picture (but a LONG YouTube clip), but it appears that all of the Ospreys at Loch Arkaig have started their migration. One regular watcher, Geemeff, has produced a beautiful series of clips, from when Louis first returns to the eyrie, the eggs hatching, the Bobs fledging (they were nicknamed 'Bobs' as, when they only a couple of days old, they could not hold their heads steady), and so on. Her choice of background music is inspired; I challenge you NOT to smile at "Sugar Plum Ospreys" or "Hall of the Mountain Queen".

James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!