Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by Peter.N. »

So its not new then! I always use to drain my empty gallon cans into the oil can, in fact I used some from a nearly empty can last night for that very purpose.

Thanks for the link Neil but I have watched it fairly recently. The house he visited with the Leicester Square organ built into it belongs to Len Rawle who became quite famous as a result, he used to work at in insurance company in London that my wife worked at. We met him at an organ concert in St Austell some years ago and he remembered her.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Peter.N. wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 09:40 The house he visited with the Leicester Square organ built into it belongs to Len Rawle who became quite famous as a result, he used to work at in insurance company in London that my wife worked at. We met him at an organ concert in St Austell some years ago and he remembered her.

Peter
I watched it for the first time this morning, and did like the bit with the Leicester Square organ in his house. In particular I enjoyed John Betjemans involuntary joy as Len Rawle was playing. There was a moment too on the Moor Park golf course when he missed the ball when he burst into spontaneous laughter. I've always liked his stuff, and his love of railways but hadnt seen that aspect of character before!

Interesting too he had a wander round Norman Shaw's Grims Dyke house which has been a recent subject for discussion on the Pickled Egg Quiz, so I was quite familiar with it. Never knew about the "Wembley" Eiffel tower look-alike project which did get off the ground, but not as high as first thought...fascinating stuff :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

He used to do documentary films largely about the west country and several were used on the BBC as colour test films so I saw them quite regularly, that's when I first new of him and liked his style.

I don't normally get on with poets and poetry but he was something quite different.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Well today I have learned about....
The Cavendish Banana, its origins traced back to Chatsworth in Derbyshire and its pre-eminence in the world of bananas.

Cavendish Bananas
Augustus Binu / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)
Also unfortunately the Bananas of the world are very much at-risk, and the Cavendish is under threat. Many banana plantations have been wiped out by a soil based fungus. Will the massive world demand for bananas send them down the GM route, or will a new hybrid be created resistant to the threat by more conventional means?

Bit of a lightweight treatment here.

Regards Neil

PS...the Antiques Road Trip occasionally can be very informative...they did the Cavendish banana bit when visiting Chatsworth :-D
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

To answer Peter's question Re the Harrods Van.
Peter.N. wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 23:15 ....Is that one of Harrods electric vans he is sitting in? I saw those when I worked in London in 1954
Peter
I think the one John Betjeman is behind the wheel of is one of the early American-Vans built by Walker Electric truck.
Like the middle one in this group of three

The later Vans have an enclosed cab.
A later one built by Harrods themselves is in the NAtional Motor Museum
https://nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/vehi ... ctric-van/
Harrods’ fleet of electric delivery vehicles were once a familiar sight on the streets of London. The famous department store started using American-built Walker electric vans in 1919. During the 1930s Harrods renewed the fleet, undertaking the design and construction in its own workshops. Work started in 1933 and a prototype van was running by 1935. A total of sixty vans were built up to 1939. The 1 ton vans were powered by under-floor mounted batteries giving a range of sixty miles per charge. This van remained in service until 1970 when it was presented to the Museum.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I was at Stoke Mandeville Station today (doing a survey for a client). Next to the station, between the station and the road bridge, there is a small clearing with a few statues.
Attachments
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

The Lion and the wheel reminded me of the Brithish Railways Emblem which used to adorn its locomotives.

I found this article on the subject interesting

Lions and Wheels British Railways lion Emblems 1949-64

These were the days when wall to wall co-ordinated branding had not quite happened across the British Rail empire and the very visible emblems only appeared on the metalwork of the locomotives in their off message fonts, rather than a corporate logo in use across the whole organisation from Stations to Stationery! They did look good on the loco's though. Surprisingly the Second Emblem is the more recent of the two.

Drewry No.2589, BR No.12589 (12748818505)
Hugh Llewelyn from Keynsham, UK / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)Image
Evening Star in Swindons STEAM museum ... (2987299728)
BazzaDaRambler / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I noticed that as well, and I wondered if it was relevant (maybe they were installed when BR was still around).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 17:06 I was at Stoke Mandeville Station today (doing a survey for a client). Next to the station, between the station and the road bridge, there is a small clearing with a few statues.
If there is a chapter and verse on the statutes, this could be close to being it...
https://www.siobancoppinger.co.uk/work/02e55/
THE GARDENER AND THE TRUANT LION was conceived initially as part of a scheme for Chelsea Flower Show 1986 - British Rail in Partnership with landscape gardener Paul Temple. It was then loaned to the National Garden Festival '86 in Stoke-on-Trent, before permanently sited at Stoke Mandeville Station - quite a paripatetic existence for over two and half tons of concrete!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 17:39 The Lion and the wheel reminded me of the Brithish Railways Emblem which used to adorn its locomotives.

I found this article on the subject interesting

Lions and Wheels British Railways lion Emblems 1949-64

These were the days when wall to wall co-ordinated branding had not quite happened across the British Rail empire and the very visible emblems only appeared on the metalwork of the locomotives in their off message fonts, rather than a corporate logo in use across the whole organisation from Stations to Stationery! They did look good on the loco's though. Surprisingly the Second Emblem is the more recent of the two.

Drewry No.2589, BR No.12589 (12748818505)
Hugh Llewelyn from Keynsham, UK / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)Image
Evening Star in Swindons STEAM museum ... (2987299728)
BazzaDaRambler / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)

Regards Neil
My late father-in-law always used to say the first emblem signified British Railways carrying the Great British public, whilst the later emblem signified the British public having to carry the railways :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

By a pure chance series of events I may well have helped this little chap. He was in a field at the top of the hill where we randomly parked for a picnic, and you would easily miss him from the road. It was odd he was on its own and laid down. The thing that caught my eye were the large yellow tags he had, one on each ear, so I took a couple of photos.

Me being there taking photos, alerted a farmer to stop and she immediately recognised all was not well with the little chap, and was on the phone to the vet/ and the farmer whose cattle they were. When we left the little chap was heading off down to the vets to be put on a drip. He had what the farmer described as scour, and was dehydrated.
nf own work
nf own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

POTD Vehicle Badges and Logo's club
nf own work
nf own work
nf own work
nf own work

REgards Neil

PS
mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 19:06 I think its a Guy Arab IV/Metro-Cammell 3102 Registration MOF 102 previously owned by Birmingham City Transport :) :)
I can confirm absolutely that is the exact vehicle, after a spell with a Manchester Company being hired out for weddings etc, it has now been acquired by the Drift Cafe Cresswell Northumberland.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

My search for Steve's coffee pot has allowed my 2900th post to slip by so time for a celebratory picture. There are many Fords, Volvos and others in the category and for me the Lotus Excel and the TVR S3 deserve a mention, as does the Alfa Romeo and the bizarre Toyota Yaris fitted with a 2.9l Twin turbo that I came across. In view of this I decided to go for the one that got us petrol heads on the road to ruin: :-D
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Following my celebratory picture I thought a celebratory link for the 85000 posts on the OTCL as suggested by Neil. So if we could get £1 for each post we could set up FCF land: :-D
BFTW
BFTW
https://www.loveproperty.com/news/95937 ... -for-85000
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

POTD awaits like a blank canvas with eager anticipation for what the 11th July 2020 has to offer....
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey