Worrying "crack" heard when closing window

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Worrying "crack" heard when closing window

Post by MikeT »

Guys thanks for the responses. I've been waiting for the new clip to arrive as I think I understand how it all works now. Postie's been today and the new part is in my posession now. It came with a new plastic retaining clip and self-adhesive foam pad (which neither was listed or shown in the item picture as being included so a bonus). I'll fit the new sliding clip and attempt re-assembly asap.

I'm just unsure where to grease so will use common-sense and not over do it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Fingers crossed that it all goes well. [-o<
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Fingers crossed that it all goes well. [-o<
Seconded :-D

Mike, use white grease...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Fingers crossed that it all goes well. [-o<
Thanks but it didn't :x

Or should I say, I'm not happy with the lack of tension and the potential for the spring-loaded pulley to jam (which is possibly what caused the original fault?)

Putting the new clip on was easy - feed the cable nipples into their relevant recesses and slide the sliding clip onto the rail from the top. Feed the "up" cable around fixed/idler pulley on the top and then the "down" cable around the sprung pulley.

However, it wasn't as tight as I assumed and without (pre)tension, the sprung pulley will jam instead of rotating (or even pop out of it's cutout) in the rail. I hope this video explains the problem better (watch right to the end).

electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

Mike,
The white spring loaded arm is not correctly fitted to the metal work. If you look at the first pic you put up on Mon 17th you'll see a rectangular cutout measuring about 10mm by 4mm on the edge of the hole, that is to accept a corresponding ear on the white plastic tensioner arm. Once correctly assembled you will not have the degree of rocking that is seen in your video (at 14 to 18 seconds) when you take your finger off the tensioner arm.
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

electronmirror wrote:Mike,
The white spring loaded arm is not correctly fitted to the metal work. If you look at the first pic you put up on Mon 17th you'll see a rectangular cutout measuring about 10mm by 4mm on the edge of the hole, that is to accept a corresponding ear on the white plastic tensioner arm. Once correctly assembled you will not have the degree of rocking that is seen in your video (at 14 to 18 seconds) when you take your finger off the tensioner arm.
Hmmmm. Sorry, I don't get it :|

Is this not right fitment? (seen from the back)

electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

That does look to be correctly fitted just that mine didn't have that degree of rock when assembled.

One thing that doesn't look right is the spring. The long arm should be in the white plastic not resting against the metalwork of the slider. The other arm of the spring has a pronounced crank to it where it comes out of the recess it sits in and it should then sit snugly against the rail.
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is the correct way around, but I can see your concern, that will pop out to the keying point. I cannot offer any advice at this time, as I have to assume the parts (except the clip) are original.

I have just watched the video, and I have a question. Are the two cables (when they are on the spool) next to each other when they head off the frame to their respective wheels, or is there an empty groove between them (difficult to tell from the video). If there is a groove that is your problem.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:That is the correct way around, but I can see your concern, that will pop out to the keying point. I cannot offer any advice at this time, as I have to assume the parts (except the clip) are original.

I have just watched the video, and I have a question. Are the two cables (when they are on the spool) next to each other when they head off the frame to their respective wheels, or is there an empty groove between them (difficult to tell from the video). If there is a groove that is your problem.
Thanks for the confirmation. I too suspect the "problem" lies in the cable length (can they stretch? and yes it's all original AFAIK) though one wind too little would equate to about 8-10inches excess rather than the 1inch-or-so excess I seem to have. I think I'll disassemble the spool and see if there's any ambiguity in the spool fitting/winding I might have fallen foul of.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Stop press: sussed the mistake I made. Incorrectly located nipple from the "down" cable that feeds underneath the sliding clip. Fitted correctly has taken up about half inch or so. Once I prise the "down" cable over the tensioner pulley, it'll be sound. Thanks everyone (til next time lol).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Mike :-D Fingers crossed it'll all be good now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent Mike :-D Fingers crossed it'll all be good now...
That damn spring clip that holds the glass to the mechanism foxed me (didn't realise it's threaded inside the rubber bung) on refitting and wasted what little daylight I had left so doorcard not refitted yet but happy to see it goes up and it goes down (smoother and quieter now it's regreased) perfectly and I set the stop points as per instructions too. =D>
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, that's brilliant =D> Well done!
Jim

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Good stuff Mike, hope to get mine done in the morning if weathers ok.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Well that repair didn't last long. Reason being the "repair clip" I bought was a different design and came with a different retaining clip (think of a clothing peg or see pic below) as the repair sliding regulator clip has a different "nipple" design with a wider neck.

What originally happened on initial repair attempt(s) was my assistant broke the replacement clip on trying to force it back on blind so we thought it would be ok to re-use the original wire retaining clip - this I now know was foolish and I was punished with a stuck down wide open window. Lucky it was dry on my return home journey.

We've not got the window back up but I need a new retaining clip.