Well I didn't get as much achieved today as I would have liked, partly due to two trips to the garage to drop off and pick up the Xantia, a couple of hours of errands etc... also ran into a few snags.
I got both the seals fitted nicely on the gearbox and the motor input shaft is lubed with the recommended ~15g of moly grease so the gearbox itself is all ready to go in. When trying to work out how to support the motor stack with the gearbox and two engine mounts missing I finally came to the conclusion that it can't be done from underneath - at least not with what I have.
An axle stand would need to be very close to the edge of the motor to have any hope of balancing the centre of mass of the remaining stack - even then the centre of mass would overhang the support point causing it to cantilever off the one remaining engine mount, which is not ideal as the mounts probably aren't designed to handle that. With only two points of support the stack would not be stable in the third dimension, so there wouldn't be anything to stop it rocking forwards or backwards. The bottom of the motor is not as flat as you'd think and a spacer block wants to wobble around. It also gets in the way of removing the final few bottom bolts. Finally, the axle stand gets right in the way of the transmission lift/trolley.
So I've reluctantly decided to go with my original plan B - support it from above with the ratchet chain lift with a loop of chain. It turns out there is a good route for the chain to go under the front edge of the onboard charger and under the inverter at the back and then out over the top again without snagging any connectors, hoses etc. By adjusting the loop length it looks like I'll be able to avoid the scuttle. Here is me sizing it up with a length of chain:
I have some hard rubber sleeving I can put over the chain as well to avoid marking the alloy casting. Because the chain is over the gearbox side (since the side of the onboard charger overhangs the gearbox by quite a lot) it is probably outside the centre of gravity and having the chain go under at both the front and the back effectively gives me three point stability when combined with the one remaining engine mount. So it should be secure and very stable, and with a ratchet chain lift I can adjust the height/tension very easily and precisely to help line up with the gearbox.
So I started building the large "saw horse" tonight - it has a 1 metre wide stance on each side to ensure the centre of gravity of what it is lifting can't possibly go outside the footing, and will be as high as I can make it while still clearing the bonnet with the bonnet stay fitted. (I don't really want to remove the bonnet then have the hassle of trying to align the panel gaps...
I have a forced day of "rest" tomorrow (if you call taking a 5 year old who tends to whinge when he's too hot to the beach "rest"
) so I'm going to try hard to get most of this job done on Sunday and the first order of business will be to finish the saw horse and test out the chain attachment.
A lot of the engine mount and gearbox mounting bolts (mostly the top ones) are already removed so I have relatively few bolts to remove now to get it out - I also removed the 12v battery and battery tray which gives a huge amount of extra visibility and access on the gearbox side.