Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Whatsthisthen?

Post by mickthemaverick »

2 out of 2, you haven't lost your touch Neil!! :-D , here's another shot of St Swithins at Old Weston:
Own work
Own work
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 21:27 2 out of 2, you haven't lost your touch Neil!! :-D ,
Hope you enjoyed your trip Mick, I enjoyed my virtual mooch around cambs/huntingdonshire.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Glad you had some fun!! I went to visit a friend who lives in Hemington who needed some help with the cat on her Honda. Managed to find one online and order for her and she is taking the car to her local garage for fitting when it arrives!! My route also goes through Kimbolton where the school was looking magnificent surrounded by autumn trees!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

temp2.jpg
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

How about an Oltcit Axel Visa?
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 21:25 How about an Oltcit Axel Visa?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oltcit_Club
The Oltcit Club is a supermini automobile developed by Oltcit in co-operation with Citroën of France in the 1980s. It is a small three-door hatchback, based on the Citroën Prototype Y and was built in Craiova, Romania.

Romania connection :-D with Alin!, image search or intimate knowledge of obscure "citroens" Mick :?:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

DDG search on collaborators with Citroen in the late 20th Century!! Recognised the front as either Panda or Visa so my next search would have been for Fiat collaborators but the first one fell on the right picture!! :-D Wish I'd bought a lottery ticket now! :-D

This is the website it took me to: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/bqjzepm/
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hubnut (Dollywaggon on here) has got 2 - one is a fire damaged basket case, the other is (nearly) road legal - as I recall it needs an inner track rod joint, but last I saw he was struggling to source one.

It's what the Visa would have been if Pug hadn't put their foot down. Air cooled flat 4 from the GS and some weird torsion bar suspension.
Richard W
10mbc
My Cars: 2022 Hyundai i30 1.5T-GDI
ex: 2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI 110ps
2008 Logan 1.6 16v
2005 Citroen C5 2.0i 143ps
1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo
1989 Citroen BX TRD

Post by 10mbc »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 21:38
mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 21:25 How about an Oltcit Axel Visa?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oltcit_Club
The Oltcit Club is a supermini automobile developed by Oltcit in co-operation with Citroën of France in the 1980s. It is a small three-door hatchback, based on the Citroën Prototype Y and was built in Craiova, Romania.

Romania connection :-D with Alin!, image search or intimate knowledge of obscure "citroens" Mick :?:

Regards Neil
Before 24th of December 1989, in the comunist era, in Romania, we had the following local car brands. Please keep in mind my knowledge is pretty limited as I am not a fan of Romanian cars by any strech of imagination.

-Dacia - Most popular, mainstream, somewhat accessible to everyone, if you could wait 5 years for one. All of them were cheap versions of Renault, for instance Dacia 1310, which was the most popular model in the time, based on a license for Renault 12, Dacia 1100 based on Renault 8 and so on. My father had a 1991 Dacia 1410 when I was 4 (same as 1310, but the engine was a 1.4 instead of 1.3). In the present day, Renault owns the majority in Dacia and, starting 2004 we have received better and better cars compared to the old ones, but I would argue that the standard is lower compared to the real Renaults.

-Oltcit (Oltena Citroen) - Less popular, less practical because of the 2 doors + hatchback layout, same price as a Dacia give or take but the wait was less and the car itself was sporiter. Nobody in my familiy had Oltcits back in the day so I am not sure about how they fared in the real word. I wad driven once in one but it seemed pretty cramped and not my cup of tea. Of course, compared to Trabants or, even worse, nothing, I think it would do the trick. The Oltcit was based on a 3 door Citroen Visa design and, at least the first engines were air cooled. The Oltcit was created based on a license from Citroen at the Oltena factory in Craiova. In the 1990's, in Craiova, we had Daewoo cars manufactured - Cielo, Matiz and others. In the current times, there is a Ford factory there and the Puma is produced here, alongside some EcoBoost petrol engines for the entire range.

-Aro (Auto Romania) - High end 4x4 offroaders, body on frame construction, not available for the average person in Romania. When the football team had a great result (not sure the event exactly), the Comunist Party rewarded each of the team members with an Aro Offroader. This was basically like gold as all of them sold them at 4 times the list price in an instant. This was the norm back then. Nowadays Aro is no more, mainly because the lack of keeping up with the times. Most likely the high level of corruption had someting to say in this.

I wish I had more information about this, I am not that familiar with them because, after I got my driver's license my dad helped me buy a Citroen BX so I am more attached to the Citroen brand than to the Oltcit one and The Citroen Visa was not on my radar.

I got my driver's license in 2004 so just when the Dacia Logan was released and I was looking up to that car, but there was no way of affording one as the base model was about 6000 euro. I bought my first BX with 1000 US Dollars, so about 800 Euro at the time. i have sunk all my money in that car back then and nothing changed 17 years later :))))

Would I buy a Romanian car now? Yes, i would, but the Dacia Logan I would buy costs 13500 euro and the equivalent Hyundai i30 is 15000 euro. So yeah, I would get the Hyundai each time. Maybe you can see that no Citroen is part of the new car purchase discussion. Why? Because Citroen is not the same company that created the 2001 C5.
talbotracer
My Cars: No French Cars Listed

Re: Whatsthisthen?.the impossible one?

Post by talbotracer »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 20:43 Here is all the evidence. I dont know what it is, and I didnt pull up the cover to find out. It is the impossible challenge :?: . So I am going to join in myself with the process, see if we can narrow it down. Ultimately I could find out myself by returning to the scene of the photo, but is there enough evidence in the pics to nail it :?:

Its not a Rover the hub is wrong
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Whatsthisthen?.the impossible one?

talbotracer wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 09:29
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 20:43 Here is all the evidence. I dont know what it is, and I didnt pull up the cover to find out. It is the impossible challenge :?: . So I am going to join in myself with the process, see if we can narrow it down. Ultimately I could find out myself by returning to the scene of the photo, but is there enough evidence in the pics to nail it :?:
Its not a Rover the hub is wrong
Welcome to the forum! You've dug up an old one there :-D It did get nailed when I stopped by and asked the owner who was working on it in his garage. It was about two years later when I had the opportunity to ask. I have put the link in the spoiler if you want to find out
Spoiler: show
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 54#p689754
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Quite gettable, but I have removed some giveaway letters.

Whatsthisthen :?:
temp3.png
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Would the missing letters be 3HC? :?:
NewcastleFalcon

ЗИС or ZIS (Zavod Imeni Stalina)

из России с любовью
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Interesting, I had presumed it was an italicised H rather than a russian N if indeed it is an N in russian!! :-D
BFTW
BFTW