Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Whatsthisthen?

Post by mickthemaverick »

Then I'm happy to go with the Volvo P1800 pending further information from Jim!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

overriders?
overriders?
If those things are overriders then doesn't quite fit with the MGB of 1972...they were much closer to the number plate.

The Midget of 1972 vintage had wider spaced overriders which went to the edges of the grill a lot wider than the MGB.

If its an everyday sort of motor maybe a Midget would be closer than a MGB. The Volvo though its grill shape and forward projecting position could quite easily under wraps make the shape, the bumper doesnt have any projections at all.

I've been through a number of pages for 1972 models, and not much jumps out as being close. Its hardly the height of the gate so I am thinking a sports car and a little one at that. Could even be a kit car perhaps.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Another car I remember with wide overriders was the Datsun 240Z< I'll check that out and report back in a jiffy!! :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Dismiss that idea, overriders are wide but grill is wrong!!
BFTW
BFTW
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Jim, were the pictures taken around the Welland Drive area? :)
NewcastleFalcon

Well I would be very surprised if it is an Aston martin in spite of the hint of the shape of the grill underneath, but I did come across this "Aston Martin" from 1972 which was sold at SWVA for £3,500.....

It ain't this one but they are about! Capri - Aston Martin Volante Replica

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

More food for thought:
BFTW
BFTW
NewcastleFalcon

If I had one of those I'd definitely have it in a lock up! Hopefully wide enough so I didn't bash the doors every time I got out :-D I expect it is something very much less exotic from its storage. Just watch the value rust away into the driveway.

I think the cheapest Aston Martin-esque would be a kit car but if this replica shell is anything to go by still too pricy to put under a cover on your driveway for years.

This shell was on e-bay for £14,000 back in 2016. Bit pricy to leave lying under a cover.
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 17 Mar 2021, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 14:09 Jim, were the pictures taken around the Welland Drive area? :)

Yes, it was Mick :) You obviously have knowledge of the Rivers Estate in Paggers!

I'm watching this thread with huge interest... Thanks so much for you diligent work so far :D

Once Covid lockdown is over, if we don't have a positive ID I'll do as you suggest Neil, I'll give myself a good scrub, put on my best clothes and knock on the door :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

CitroJim wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 17:50
mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 14:09 Jim, were the pictures taken around the Welland Drive area? :)

Yes, it was Mick :) You obviously have knowledge of the Rivers Estate in Paggers!
When I was running the car hire business in Wolverton we had a regular customer from Welland Drive who was a classic car fan. I delivered a car up to him a couple of times and so thought I recognised the porch style in your picture. The chap concerned had a Bristol S2 at the time but that was in the mid nineties so highly unlikely to be the same car!! :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 17:59 When I was running the car hire business in Wolverton we had a regular customer from Welland Drive who was a classic car fan.
It's a small world Mick :D

Can't say I have ever seen a Bristol in the area or indeed very much classic at all except a now departed soggy Moggy Minor...

I do know though, the classic count is higher than meets the eye as by far the majority live in garages. It's unusual to see something under a cover although in another part of the Rivers Estate I do know of what I suspect is a VW Kubelwagen under a tarpaulin... And I only know that by seing one wheeltrim one windy morning!

One advantage of being often out and about around town is I occasionally get to see what garages contain when their doors are open...

Not long ago I discovered a garage on the same road as me contained a pair of Jensen Healeys!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 17:50 ...if we don't have a positive ID I'll do as you suggest Neil, I'll give myself a good scrub, put on my best clothes and knock on the door :)
Reminds me of my whatthisthen? the impossible one. and gibbo's snowy! too
First posed July 2019, and almost a year later remained unsolved. In July 2020 when passing on the A68 I noticed that it wasn't there anymore, but the large garage doors were open. Pulled in realised this was my chance and possibly the only chance to solve the FCF whatsthisthen?, and was told what it was by an chap busy working on the chassis. He wasn't that talkative....

But it was an Armstrong Siddeley Hurricane.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 18:18 But it was an Armstrong Siddeley Hurricane.
Gorgeous cars :D I trust it was being restored... It deserves to live :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

We should really let this lie, until the definitive answer emerges, but......

Lets consider our greatest clue, yes normally the number plate, but its fair to say it is completely useless in this quest.

So the next biggest clue, not the shape under the wrap, bonnet could be propped open, probably a good move if its spent years outside, wing mirrors taken off, grill removed and just a hole, headlights removed etc etc; ...but this the bumper.
temp2.png
If that shows overriders, they are very uncommon. Ubiquitous on little MG's though, Present on Rover p6's and Jensen Interceptors, but absent from the vast majority of cars.

Then there is the characteristic "flat rectangular bit" the number plate clags onto. Even less common.

Indeed there is only one bumper I have so far come across which has a flat rectangular bit for the number plate and overriders and that is....

A Triumph Stag.

Yes it looks nowt like a Triumph stag in the under the covers shot....but over riders and rectangular bit on a bumper for the numberplate....only one I have found so far.
temp4.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Taking your line of thinking a step further Neil, who said it's the front of the car we are looking at? It could equally well be a rear end with a missing exhaust pipe! Maybe Eric's original comment about the Aston shaped grill got us thinking about grills when it could be a stern view we have. I daresay there are more possibilities of a number plate flat on rear bumpers which may still warrant investigation, but I've got a lot on at the moment so I'll leave that to you!! :-D