C5 X7 Aux sockets?

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: C5 X7 Aux sockets?

Post by qprdude »

vborovic wrote:I think the chinese have all the possible combinations covered ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/3ft-Gold-Plated ... 0866327450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... :D ... now, does it actually, work, beats me ... since there are hdmi to RCA converters, it's hard to think a simple wiring would give the same effect as the proxy unit, but, electronics are wonderful ... Also, there is hardly anything left that I haven't considered doing to my car (serial stuff only), so now you can feel a little bit like my self ... :D ... I'm currently thinking how to put the pavement lights in the rear doors ... :D ...
Have you got the rear and side window blinds? :lol:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

No, but I did research about them ... there are cheaper genuine alternatives to them available ... ex. http://www.partsworld-uk.com/product/Re ... rer_9459F1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... and the similar for the rear windows exist as well ... but, I wouldn't have much use for them anyway at the moment ...
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I tend to use them if it is hot and sunny, and sometimes if I'm parked and don't want anyone to see into the back of the car without looking really closely.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I find it that the dimmer the glass, the car will actually grab more attention .. you know, that "you wouldn't be hiding something if nothing was there to hide logic" ... :D ... and anyways, even if all the other glass on the car is pitch black, the front windshield still allows anyone to see clearly ... that being said, I've recently stumbled upon the best solution for this problem ... http://www.smarttint.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... car installation would be a it tricky, and in case the power fails in the wrong moment (ex. when the police pulls you over), you would be in more problems that this would actually be solving them ... :D
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Got my cables from Ebay this morning. I bought the three way splitter, the one with the video cable.
All tried and the audio is working fine from my android tablet. I tried a youtube video and the sound was good, AND VERY LOUD! I had to turn the car volume down, even though the tablet displayed the warning about ear damage and refused to be turned up beyond about half volume. Haven't tried the MP3 yet. On enabling "Aux input" only the red and white audio sockets were displayed on the screen. I suspect the yellow video port can be enabled, but not legally. There are provisions for adjusting the contrast/brightness and to select format on the screen, but no input from the Aux socket. Not to worry, I'm happy now that I can utilise the system and have a much wider choice of audio sources. I suspect the CD and Jukebox sound quality might be the best, but the Aux is another little extra.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'm not sure if your unit supports Bluetooth audio streaming from your phone, but in case it doesn't (eMyWay does have it as the newest device), there is also an alternative, you can find a BT receiver unit, that has analog audio output and connect it to the inputs in question ... example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XZION-BELKIN-BL ... 2336f3ed7f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How I know about this? Guess ... :D ... I've researched it, but it didn't yet come to my next to-do item in my car, there are some other items before it ... :D
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

vborovic wrote:I'm not sure if your unit supports Bluetooth audio streaming from your phone, but in case it doesn't (eMyWay does have it as the newest device), there is also an alternative, you can find a BT receiver unit, that has analog audio output and connect it to the inputs in question ... example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XZION-BELKIN-BL ... 2336f3ed7f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How I know about this? Guess ... :D ... I've researched it, but it didn't yet come to my next to-do item in my car, there are some other items before it ... :D
I've done just that with one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's nicely made, looks discreet in the car, and the cables are very slim so easily hidden. Apart from the aux volume issue in my car, it would be perfect.

On an only slightly related note, C5 X7 people: what's your feeling about spring versus hydro suspension? I'm recommending a 2-3 year old one to my parents who are planning to buy a new car. Though my inherent preference is for the traditional hydropneumatic arrangement, it opens up the options more to include the steel sprung one, especially as they particularly don't want leather seats which are hard to avoid on Exclusives. Any thoughts?
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

There was a very similar discussion not too long ago, I think I'm only one that has classic suspension here (at least, the only one that posted in that topic) ... compared to my previous Xsara, and my father's C5 II hydro-pneumatic suspension, mine is somewhere in the middle ... of course, nothing can beat the hydro, but it's not like the car is worth nothing, I'm more than satisfied with it ... if it had hydro, it would be too perfect ... :D ...
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Jodyone, I think the full leather on the X7 Exclusive was an optional extra. They have leather panels as standard but not full leather. From a purely personal point of view I could only buy the Hydractive 3. I know the c5 has a lot going for it, but the pneumatic suspension is what really sets it apart.
Rick.

Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Thanks both. I'm inclined to agree with you qprdude, but I wonder if I'm just being a bit over principled about it- it seems plenty of people agree with vborovic and are very happy with the steel ride... I have a feeling my parents would be too... I guess test drives are in order! As you were. Oh, good to hear you got everything connected up aux-wise.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There will always be differences of opinion over steel suspension and hydro-pneumatic suspension. The best decider is your own driving experience. If you have back problems the hydro-pneumatic suspension is probably best. However, my cousin doesn't like it, as it makes him feel seasick! but he does admit I can go over bumpy roads (including speed humps) quicker than he can in his Audi TT 3.2 RS!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Jodyone wrote:
vborovic wrote:I'm not sure if your unit supports Bluetooth audio streaming from your phone, but in case it doesn't (eMyWay does have it as the newest device), there is also an alternative, you can find a BT receiver unit, that has analog audio output and connect it to the inputs in question ... example:

I've done just that with one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's nicely made, looks discreet in the car, and the cables are very slim so easily hidden. Apart from the aux volume issue in my car, it would be perfect.

On an only slightly related note, C5 X7 people: what's your feeling about spring versus hydro suspension? I'm recommending a 2-3 year old one to my parents who are planning to buy a new car. Though my inherent preference is for the traditional hydropneumatic arrangement, it opens up the options more to include the steel sprung one, especially as they particularly don't want leather seats which are hard to avoid on Exclusives. Any thoughts?
Yes, I was listening to music on youtube from my android tablet ,so I expect that was streaming audio. I don't really need Bluetooth as I have the SIM card, in car, phone system. I have a smartphone which I can connect to the aux ports to listen to music but it's not something I would be doing. The MP3 is going to be the most likely source if it is ever used. It was purely the video capability I was investigating.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

If I could get my hands on of of those units, I would be able to tell you ... :D ... the video should be playing on it, how, not sure ... have you tried copying an avi/divx file to its HDD? Or playing any DVD movie (it has a DVD reader not a CD one) ...
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Tried DVD, no luck. The video aux socket is not shown on the screen so almost certainly disabled. Not tried copying a video file to the HDD but as the Navigation is loaded to the HDD via DVD, it should be possible. Too busy right now as I'm off to London for a few days (Flying)
Rick.

Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

qprdude wrote:Tried DVD, no luck. The video aux socket is not shown on the screen so almost certainly disabled. Not tried copying a video file to the HDD but as the Navigation is loaded to the HDD via DVD, it should be possible. Too busy right now as I'm off to London for a few days (Flying)
Ignore me if I've missed the problem, but in my RT3 you have to choose "video" from the main menu screen to play whatever is plugged in. It doesn't show up when you cycle through radio/CD/Aux (picture of red+white cables). Possibly, the option does need to be enabled with Lexia, and had been by a previous owner of my car, but make sure you're actually looking in the right place.