Merged Lexia & Diagbox threads

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Re: Merged Lexia & Diagbox threads

Post by ekjdm14 »

Tornado wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 14:30 Hi guys,

I ordered a Lexia from e-bay and I have the same problem with it as in the video.
Someone knows how to fix it? Or the unit is may be defective?

I have/had a similar issue with the VCI not activating correctly ( green light goes off after 3 seconds instead of giving three flashes then staying on), in my case it was the USB driver kept going back to "utms" (or something like, basically the default driver as the laptop comes with), whereas the install instructions showed how to get it to change to "multi instance". I'm afraid I forget exactly how one updates the USB driver to this multi instance mode, but the solution for me when I got it working seems to be to use the same port for the VCI every time. I taped off the other ports on my diagbox laptop so there's no chance of plugging into the wrong one.

Unsure whether that'd be any help to you, but it's been working for me on my eBay kit so hopefully it's similar.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

Post by sonoramicommando »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:41 Ok, that's probably because Diagbox should of been uninstalled first, using the uninstaller in the C:\program Files\Diagbox folder (Diagbox_Uninstall.exe). When that has been run, restart the PC, then run the DB cleaner programme to remove the rest of the files and clean up the registry.

If you can't see any of the following folders, then DB cleaner has done its job:
C:\APP
C:\AWROOT
C:\APPLIC
C:\OUD
C:\Program Files\Diagbox

This is not exhaustive, but will let you know if the cleaner has uninstalled it. The registry entries are done by DB Cleaner.

Ok - still couldn't get the uninstaller to go, so I had to manually delete all the folders.
DB cleaner still finds my user ID(?) and clears MUIcache every time the laptop I run the cleaner.
Do you think it's ready for a reinstall?
Cheers
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
Tornado
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 X7 2.2 HDi Exclusive
2002 Peugeot 307 1.6 Premium

Post by Tornado »

ekjdm14 wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 17:19
Tornado wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 14:30 Hi guys,

I ordered a Lexia from e-bay and I have the same problem with it as in the video.
Someone knows how to fix it? Or the unit is may be defective?

I have/had a similar issue with the VCI not activating correctly ( green light goes off after 3 seconds instead of giving three flashes then staying on), in my case it was the USB driver kept going back to "utms" (or something like, basically the default driver as the laptop comes with), whereas the install instructions showed how to get it to change to "multi instance". I'm afraid I forget exactly how one updates the USB driver to this multi instance mode, but the solution for me when I got it working seems to be to use the same port for the VCI every time. I taped off the other ports on my diagbox laptop so there's no chance of plugging into the wrong one.

Unsure whether that'd be any help to you, but it's been working for me on my eBay kit so hopefully it's similar.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I tried both, but unfortunately it was not good.. I have the USB Com Board Evolution Driver (Multi-instance) driver on laptop. The problem its the same.
Lexia 3 software give the following error: Communication interface update error
I have a Windows 10 64bit laptop with VirtualBox and Windows XP SP3 32bit on it.
Attachments
IMG_20180228_085233.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That might be your problem - using a VM to run this older software that needs access to the Evolution USB drivers. Your VM may be using a standard USB driver and that is not working as it may be overriding the Evolution driver.

I personally wouldn't even consider using any VMs with Lexia / Diagbox and certainly would not use a 64 bit OS - there are too many variables to troubleshoot when things go wrong. A cheap 32 bit laptop running Win 7 will do just fine. Trying to get this running on a 64 bit OS with a VM is just introducing too many variables and makes troubleshooting a much harder job.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I have and can successfully run diagbox on my 64-bit Win7 system using Oracle VM.
Sadly, I can't determine and therefore advise why yours isn't working fine like mine does.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is the issue Mike - I think the different VMs out there, the different OS and the compatible drivers being passed through are just extra hassle to troubleshoot.

Marc
Tornado
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 X7 2.2 HDi Exclusive
2002 Peugeot 307 1.6 Premium

Post by Tornado »

Ok. I understand, thank you for the answers.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 11:16 That might be your problem - using a VM to run this older software that needs access to the Evolution USB drivers. Your VM may be using a standard USB driver and that is not working as it may be overriding the Evolution driver.

I remember reading about just such an issue a good way back in this thread (I think it was).

Definitely would advise getting a cheap old 32 bit Win7 laptop to dedicate to Diagbox, mine cost all of £25 on ebay and even has a good battery despite being listed as not having! And 100% would recommend the first job on receiving said laptop should be to do a factory reset, it made my install so much easier once i bit the bullet on that rather than keep struggling with the laptop as it arrived. (even though it appeared to be a "clean" windows install, i guess it was old and had remnants of deleted programs confusing it and slowing it down)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Cupi34
My Cars: Citroen C5 2006 2.0i

Re: Citroen C5 - Which gearbox?

Post by Cupi34 »

I am trying to decide which one of these I should buy. One says diagbox 7.82 full chip in the description, the other only diagbox 7.82 and one sayst V48 diagbox v7.76. I would like to buy the one that says only diagbox 7.82.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PP2000-V48 ... SwI8laOIFg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexia-3-PP2000 ... SwyLlXoE1F

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexia-3-PP2000 ... SwFe5X0Nvu

Any help would be much appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Right - ignore the first 2 listings - these are almost guaranteed not to be full chip kits and won't work with full can vehicles including the C5.

The last one looks like it should..... it is the more expensive - bit I would expect it to be if it is truly the full-chip kit needed to read most newer vehicles.

As for the versions - this is just for the software version of Diagbox. You will likely be using Lexia software (which is contained within the Diagbox software), so don't worry about that - and I would not bother installing any version past 7.60 - 7.58 is fine to be honest as that supports vehicles up to 2013. If you install later versions you will loose manual telecoding functionality if using Diagbox on later cars.

Lexia is used for the older vehicles prior to 2007 approximately and will provide you with the opportunity to launch it from the menu when you have selected your vehicle.

Marc
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Marc,

Quick question, which has probably been answered earlier.

Do you run Diagbox with the ignition on and engine NOT running in most circumstances?

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Kenny, yes that’s correct, unless you’re running a particular procedure or need some live data.

Marc
sonoramicommando

ok still struggling to get it to connect.
at first it told me that VCI is not connected, out of 3 USB ports, only 1 seem to enable it.
once VCI is connect though, it still couldn't communicate with BSI on global test.
does Diagbox ask for VIN & ORGA (or RPO?) or should it be able to read from the ECUs if connected properly? I vaguely remember when it was working it didn't ask for one of the two when choosing the model.

more questions:
1. how does one know lexia is deactivated?
2. you mentioned something about network adaptor (that the same network adaptor to be used as installed etc) - can you pls explain for a PC dummy? could this be my problem?
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok first of all, can you tell me which version of Windows are you using and is it a 32 or 64 bit version?
sonoramicommando wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 08:47
ok still struggling to get it to connect.
at first it told me that VCI is not connected, out of 3 USB ports, only 1 seem to enable it.
once VCI is connect though, it still couldn't communicate with BSI on global test.
does Diagbox ask for VIN & ORGA (or RPO?) or should it be able to read from the ECUs if connected properly? I vaguely remember when it was working it didn't ask for one of the two when choosing the model.
For 2006 you will likely be using Lexia. Assuming this is the case, normal procedure is to launch Diagbox, Connect up the VCI, select the model from the car list (C5 II), then it should ask for the RPO (this will be on the driver door pillar where the tyre pressures are listed and will be a 5 digit number). Then it should communicate with the car and confirm the VIN.

more questions:
1. how does one know lexia is deactivated?
The green light on the VCI will not be lit if it is not connected / communicating.
2. you mentioned something about network adaptor (that the same network adaptor to be used as installed etc) - can you pls explain for a PC dummy? could this be my problem?
What I meant here is that ensure your network / wireless adapter is enabled before installing. Later when connecting to your car, you should leave the adapter on - but ensure that no active internet connection - in other words don't let it automatically connect to the wireless network.
As for the USB ports - without connecting to the car, just plug in the VCI to each USB Port and wait - allow Windows to detect it and install the driver. Then remove the USB connector and plug it into another USB port - do the same and then repeat for the other ports.

One other thing you can try - if you are using a laptop - you will find most likely that the power saving features will disable USB ports to conserve power. Go into the power management and then find advanced settings, then expand all the options so you can determine the behaviour of the lid, or the USB ports when on battery power. Ensure that the setting to selectively disable the USB ports is DISABLED. This can cause problems with detection if the port is not powered on connection.

Marc
sonoramicommando

Ok, thanks.
I'll have to look into the network adaptor thing first then. It's a laptop with a hard switch to turn on bluetooth / wireless, I left it off (as i don't have any virus protection etc so try not to use the internet) when installed. I didn't change the setting when connected to the car though.
Cheers
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)