Rear LHM leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Re: Rear LHM leak

Post by c.morewood »

Success... I have suspension.. although with a tiny leak.. which is not surprising...but hey, it could have been a lot worse.. I was waiting for the flood of hydraflush on the floor... but someone was smiling today.

I also found getting the 2 small pipes impossible.. I had to get my wife to help and even then it took 3 hands!! I must admit I put the rubber seal on at a slight angle, (towards me) thinking that it would be easier to push in the pipes... wrong.. they ideally need to be vertical .. we spent ages just pushing the rubber pipes sideways/ downwards with the pipes as we couldn't get our fingers in a position to hold them against the pressure of the small pipes.... its difficult to describe, but Richard will know what I mean.
There's also a technique for getting the pin in as well line it up using a 2.5mm allen key from the higher side then use a 3mm to complete the line up on the opposite side, remove the 2.5mm key and replace it with the end of the pin and using pliers you can push the pin home.. that took an hour alone!!
The small pipes must've been about an hour and a half and getting the cylinder back in at least half an hour... and you know that little ring... what a B****er that was. I should have located it when the cylinder was on the bench, but I didn't want to lose it .. so I tried to fit it in situ .. but gravity kept taking over!!!
So after an afternoon of citaerobics and bleeding brakes I have 1 drip every hour or so.. I'll take her out on small runs tomorrow just to make sure .. b ut hopefully the temporary repair will last till the beginning of next week... when hopefully I'll get the "new " secondhand ones and I'll do it all again!!!!

Thanks to all the helpful posts.
A very grateful,
Chris
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Well done Chris - I thought putting the strut back would be easy, but it is a bit of a challenge isn't it??

Where is it leaking from? If the sphere seal, then I would be tempted to wind the sphere back a couple of turns, and put some PTFE tape around the base of the sphere thread and see if that will seal it - easier than changing the strut out again!!
Richard W
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Exactly Richard!!
I can't see where its leaking ... not the sphere.. they made too good a job of that!!... didn't want to go under there again .. especially with an unpredictable or untried cylinder,, and the small amount, at the moment, its leaking doesn't really bother me .. as long as it doesn't become a torrent!!
Next time, I might be able to do it in 2 days ... instead of 3 weeks!!!
We need to do a how to thread?
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

c.morewood wrote: We need to do a how to thread?
Chris, we do. What you and Richard have come up with on this subject is absolute solid gold. When all is 100% concluded we'll look to move these threads to a more appropriate place of that’s OK.

I'm keen to investigate a sleeve repair idea to the cylinder. I've spoken a bit about it in Richard's thread. I'm thinking that might save potential heat damage from welding and is potentially easier and cheaper..

I just need a scrap cylinder to experiment on...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Let me be the first to offer you mine Jim

PM me your details and I will pop it in the post tomorrow.

kind regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Great stuff Neil :-D

Many thanks indeed! PM on way...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Just a quick question. After having been sat with her A** in the air for the best part of 3 weeks and having almost all the LHM drained out of her.. How many Citaerobics do I have to do the get all the air out of the pipes? I've bled all the brakes and done about 15 up and downs.. She rewsponds to the high's and lows but doesn't like to settle in the normal position .. from high the rear stays high and the front goes to normal and from low the back goes to normal and the front stays low.. I guess there's still some air in there?
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Nope air won't cause those symptoms, it'll be the height corrector linkages that are sticking from being rusty and having sat in the exact same position for 3 weeks...when they move regularly it helps keep the rusty sliding surfaces from sticking together - just like regular use of brake discs that would otherwise develop surface rust. Try a good dose of penetrating lubricant on the pivoting parts of the height corrector linkage, work them through their range of motion then grease them...

As far as Citrarobics goes, 3 or 4 times should be plenty. I find that air bubbles are more effectively expelled if you let the car sit in the maximum position for a few minutes rather than immediately dropping it again - it allows time for the multitude of tiny bubbles to travel up to the highest point in the lines and coalesce into a few larger bubbles, this is particularly the case in the front suspension of a hydractive car where you have those long large diameter pipes from the strut tops down to the hydractive regulator.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Thanks Simon, after being left overnight .. there was a noticeable difference..I did the rears linkages .. but obviously couldn't get near the front of the car.. I'll get those tomorrow with the appropriate stands in place.
Thanks again,
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

back in the 80ies citroen used to state if the hydraulic circuit had been opened in the course of work, to start the engine and with the bleed screw on the regulator open let the engine idle for around 2 min's, then hold the rev's at about 2.500 rpm whilst shutting the bleed screw,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Sorted the drip. I had accidentally punctured the rubber seal right at the pin end which was causing it to weep slightly. I've cleaned it up, used self amalgamating tape and a couple of zip ties and that seems to have fixed it for now... I'm sure its just hiding more problems .. but its only got to last about 7 or 8 days till the others arrive.

I've been thinking about Richards idea to mill a suitable collar for the size of the cylinder and then mill the cylinder down and weld the collar on...That would be much more sensible than building up the aluminium with a weld as I had done...probably less heat as well.
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

More thoughts on the puller - you only need one eyebolt of course, and just hook it into the loop. Depending on the thread, you might need to use a spacer (eg a socket) against the bar, and you also probably want to be able to hold the eyebolt against rotating, otherwise it will just go round and twist the pin eye off.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

c.morewood wrote:Sorted the drip.
Excellent :-D
c.morewood wrote:I've been thinking about Richards idea to mill a suitable collar for the size of the cylinder and then mill the cylinder down and weld the collar on...That would be much more sensible than building up the aluminium with a weld as I had done...probably less heat as well.
Happily, Neil (Newcastle Falcon) has donated two scrap cylinders to me for the purpose of experimentation and trying out this idea...

I shall report back in due course :wink:
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I was wondering how to test the repair, Jim. You don't want to be removing cylinders to do a test! Came up with an idea - fit a sphere, put some LHM inthe ram and then stick it in your bench press 8-) This will allow you to squeeze the ram up and apply the pressure to the seal. You will of course need to block the inlet port, but this could be done with a soldered up pipe - or better still a pressure gauge as that will allow you monitor the pressure so you don't overpressure it :lol: You will of course need both bits of the cylinder to do this....
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

could just plug the sphere tester into the feed port of the ram, pressurises the rem with that,
still use the press to hold all your bits together though,

although you will probably find the ram will overcome the press :twisted: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years