Hi folks, constant droning noise, 406 2.1 td

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

callie

Hi folks, constant droning noise, 406 2.1 td

Post by callie »

Here's hoping that someone can help me out, I've got a terrible droning noise coming from, I think, the front nearside wheel, it starts about 40 but is more noticible between 50 and 70 mph, the constant rmmm, rmmm, rmmm is driving me crackers, I thought at first it was the rear wheel bearing so I changed that to no avail, as my tyres were worn I thought that might be the problem so I changed them, even had the alloy rims checked and they're true, there's no vibration from the steering wheel, I've checked all the wheel bearings and they seem to be OK, there's no increase in noise when cornering so that seems to rule out front wheel bearings, I'm hoping that it's not the gear box, a bit expensive me thinks, and the only other thing is drive shaft/s, I live in Tamworth, Staffs and will be going up to Scotland in a few weeks time and the thought of 5 hours droning is not something I'm looking forward too. :( So if anyone can enlighten me I'd be really appreciative, just as an add on, I've had a mechanic look at, and test drive the motor and he couldn't come up with an answer. Many thanks in advance.

Callie
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Hi folks, constant droning noise, 406 2.1 td

Post by spider »

Difficult without hearing it although a tech has looked as you said and was not sure.

Does it get worse / quieter when you are under acceleration / deceleration / constant speed ?

I'd check there's plenty of oil in the transmission as the 2.1 is a bit fiddly to do as the filler plug it up the back and difficult to get to I think if its the same as the V6 petrol ones its that box.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does it still do it if you push the clutch out? If so its unlikely to be the gearbox. Check for the variations Andy suggests, if its there under all circumstances I would still go for the front n/s wheel bearing wheel bearing. You can't check it without a load on it and although they usually increase in noise when you throw the weight onto them its not always the case.

Peter
callie

Post by callie »

Hi spider.
the faster I go the louder it gets and the Mrs says she can feel a slight vibration under her feet when she's in the passenger seat, I'll check the gearbox oil, there's no sign of a leak and I had the clutch replaced 3 years ago and this problem started about 6 months ago, as you said, it's a pain in the butt getting to gearbox filler, cheers for the input Andy.
Pat.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It sounds like a wheel bearing to me Pat.

You can't check them easily at all as they don't show any play and spinning them doesn't reveal the problem.

I've seen a good number now that have failed noisily with much the same symptoms as yours because the grease in them has dried completely out and ended up a hard waxy residue.

They're not horribly difficult to replace nor tremendously expensive but you do need a hydraulic press.

Another possibility is the intermediate bearing on the long driveshaft. Again, it's hard to check it without removing the driveshaft.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
callie

Post by callie »

Hi Peter,
Whether it's in gear, driven, clutched or coasting out of gear the droning is the same, thinking about it, it could be the wheel bearing if it's still making the same noise when out of gear and coasting, there again I suppose it could possibly be the drive shaft or even the diff bearing.......No doubt it'll get worse the more I drive and will be easier to identify, I hope. Cheers Peter.

Pat
callie

Post by callie »

Hi Jim,
When I first had the problem I thought it was the rear wheel bearing, and when removing it I found that the grease had gone hard, but after replacing said bearing it was still the same, it sounds as if it might be the same on the front, the noise does sound as if it's coming from the nearside so I don't think it will be the the long drive shaft, my mate is a mobile mechanic, he's the one who couldn't determine where it was coming from, I think I'll have a word with him and get him to change the front bearing, he's a good guy and what I can't do he can as he's got all the gear, presses, hydraulic extractors, etc, as you say it's not too expensive so I'll bite the bullet and get him on the job, fingers crossed, it will be the front nearside bearing, whatever happens I'll keep you all posted, thanks a lot gents, I'm beginning feel a lot more positve about it
Pat
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The driveshaft centre bearing often fails noiselessly as it has no real load on it, its just to steady the shaft, I think you will find it is the wheel bearing.

Peter
jimmy8467

Post by jimmy8467 »

i had a 406 and the wheel baring was like that, dosent matter if its in gear or driven, the sound will still be there, try to listen when cornering as the drone sound sould be louder or softer which ever is the loudest left turn or right turn thats the side that needs replacing
callie

Post by callie »

Hi jimmy
I think citro jim has most likely hit the problem on the head, the grease has gone hard in the wheel bearing, and although there's no increase in noise when cornering if I leave it as it is it will get worse, it's reassuring when someone like yourself has had exactly the same problem which means that changing the bearing, fingers crossed, will solve the problem.
Cheers Pat
johno645
New User

Post by johno645 »

if you jack it up and spin the front wheel and lay your fingers on the spring seat very lightly you mite feel the bearing being noisey
captaintau
My Cars:

Post by captaintau »

callie wrote:Here's hoping that someone can help me out, I've got a terrible droning noise coming from, I think, the front nearside
I've had that problem with most of my cars. I solved it by telling the wife if she didn't shut up she'd have to walk home :-D
Zutalors

Post by Zutalors »

I had the same...

"Are you going to slow down a bit?"

Looked down, 95mph :oops: hadn't even noticed; what a fantastic car that was :naughty:
91 405 Diesel Estate + 93 205 Diesel
94 405 GTX TD Estate
98 406 2.1TD Estate + 96 Clio 1.9D
99 Clio 1.9D + Focus 1.8 Petrol (Why?!? It was cheap!)
06 206 Sport 1.6 HDI110 + 09 308 1.6 HDI
09 308 1.6HDI
Lookingforanswers
My Cars: Citroen C5 Exclusive.

Post by Lookingforanswers »

Has anyone tried squirting foam into the chassis members at the front? Seems to me like a resonance, so the tubes dead deadening. I am going to try this, having considered everything else. Even at very low speeds there is a tonal response to individual stones, like on my driveway. Mine is a Citroen C5 exclusive estate 2010. I heard the same tone on a brand new 508 estate the other day.
Lookingforanswers
My Cars: Citroen C5 Exclusive.

Post by Lookingforanswers »

I have sprayed in the expanding foam. No discernible difference. Any other Ideas?
I do note that the noise varies in volume on different parts of the journey, so I am thinking a worn bush, making metal to metal contact sometimes?