Xantia HDi Performance Upgrade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

6speedmanual
My Cars:

Xantia HDi Performance Upgrade

Post by 6speedmanual »

Back in a Xantia after a few years away.
This time it's a HDi 110 (last was 2.1td)

Condidering options for a petformance upgrade.
I know remaps are available hoiking it up to about 135 but interested in the bigger technical solutions.

So what is the collective knowledge on:
2.0:
Can a bigger turbo be fitted which keeps manifold and exhaust installation standard? (rebuild by Turbo Technics for example)

Anyone dropped this lump straight in?
Can it be run on the ECU for the 2.0? (maybe remapped)
Can the 2.2 ECU 'talk' to the Xantia electrical system?

Hybrid:
Can the 2.2 and 2.0 heads be swapped? (considering a 2.2 bottom end with 8v head)

Any experiences welcome. Will save me buying loads of units from scrap to experiment with!

Cheers
Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia HDi Performance Upgrade

Post by citroenxm »

Were NOT big on messing around with upgrades and killing other models to fit engines in what they are not supposed to be in..

Besides, I wouldnt DREAM of fitting an awfull 2.2 HDi into a Xantia... Its bad enough in the C5.. then theres lots of electronicals the 2.2 has that the xantia dont, FAP, Eolys etc..most of all with injectors when the combustion seal breaks and the injectors stick in the inlet its toast for the engine..

You have the BEST ever hdi engine already in your car, that is the 2.o 8v engine.. Fitting a bigger turbo may cause issues again because the engine ECU has a set boost figure programed into it and if the turbo overboosts the engine ecu throws a wobbly..

The easyest and BEST effective way is simply a remap, OR a tuning box! I had one i n mine untill I started getting a cutting out problem, and it was perfectly good enough for me!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Paul, agree with every word there :-D

The only concern I have with a tuning box is that they often work by increasing the fuel rail pressure which in an HDi is already incredibly high. I'm worried they may cause undue strain on the fuel injection equipment and I have seen one instance of a fractured pipe between the pump and fuel rail that may have been attributed to the use of a tuning box upping the rail pressure to an extent a weak spot was found.

Some users of tuning boxes have found they upset the ECU and cause the Engine Management warning light to come on.

I've enjoyed a 110HDi in the past and found it most agreeable in standard tune. Plenty enough urge...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

No Jim.. not all of them do mess with rail pressure.. my two boxs don't because they plug in between the injector plugs and injectors so i think it adjusts the nozzle opening times.. they never have put my engine light on.. ive only removed it while i look into the cutting out problem which i now believe is the engine pump...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:my two boxs don't because they plug in between the injector plugs and injectors so i think it adjusts the nozzle opening times..
Yes, and that's the far better way of doing it I believe... It leaves the rail pressure set at what it should be and the ECU then knows no different...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I fitted a tuning box to my 2.2 in an attempt to improve the fuel consumption - it didn't, it did improve the performance though but I'm not into that so I have removed it, it can also cause insurance issues. I have a 2.0l now which is much better on fuel.

Peter
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

First question I ask is why??

I have a 2.0HDi 110 and from a standing start the performance in the first two gears is average at best (or maybe that's because I don't hammer it) but once in third the torque is superb and pulls like a train - better than other marques I've driven with 130 and 150bhp. Once in 4th and 5th the power is there when I need it but still achieves over 50mpg - not bad for a car with 190k on the clock.

Enjoy the engine you have - there ain't much better!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello Peter,

I think you can guess that people in the know on this forum reckon you have the best HDi engine going, and to stick to that old engineer adage; "If it ain't broke don't fix it", although not so long back somebody wrote "Nah, keep fixing it until it breaks!", but I think (hope!) that this was just friendly banter and p1ss taking.

I think Citroen and Peuguot got it right, and blended the right mix of power, torque, and delivery to produce a good one.

James
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi James

They certainly seem to be among the most reliable engines, I have been putting off getting involved with Hdi but now there are no more XMs I have had to bite the bullet, I have been very pleasantly surprised with the 8 valve 2.0 litre, they seem to be every bit as reliable as the XUD engines, perhaps even more so where head gaskets are concerned.

The 1.6 in the Fords doesn't seem to be so good though, they eat turbo's, is it the same engine as the Citroen?

Peter
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Peter.N. wrote:
The 1.6 in the Fords doesn't seem to be so good though, they eat turbo's, is it the same engine as the Citroen?

Peter
the 1.6 is the Ford/PSA Joint engine Peter Yes fitted to Frauds Fucus, and Citroen C4's etc etc, and they are VERY Oil fussy just like Renaults Laguna DCi's engine! Fully Synthetic is OPTIMALLY important otherwise a premature turbo failure is imminent..

The 8v WAS AND IS and ALWAYS will be the best engine... Manifolds are confined to the rear of the head so any injector issues the head and injectors can come off cOMPLETE! No need to remove inlet manifold to get at head bolts, and if the injectors are stuck in place... Your snookered!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

I was (am) thinking about up grading to a 110HDI if (when) we move back to the UK and was planing on a tuning box and exhaust if that would give more power. i feel with cars (and bikes) to much power in never enough.

but it looks like the peeps on here feel i should just leave them alone. and the laguna issues explains why there are so many on evil bay being offered as "spares or repair" for almost nothing. and the only other froggy car on the short list i cant afford the model i like (only like the look of the new C5).
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

The laggys are their own fault... Renault specified oil services TOO FAR apart from each other that the turbo seals couldn't cope with due to the degrade of oil in an engine.. I am leading to beleve if you change the oil ever 7 to 10k in them then there wont be an issue and use ONLY Fully Synthetic oil. This mistake has been made in them too, where semi has been used!

Im toying with a Laguna 2 as we too hate the C5 1... so If I can get one thats fine, Ill increase my oil services, as I do everything myself and see what happens. A point up on Peugeot, which I dont understand, they use the same makes of blowers, but in the Xantia 8v models they can go ages with an oil change and still be fine!

Not sure why that should be..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

i never go over 7500km/6 month oil/filter changes on my cars. it's a lot cheaper than a motor. but i have worked for a oil company for the past 5 years or so and have now moved to filtration.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ah there you are then Sam... they should survive for you!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

In my younger days I used to ride a BMW K100RT I bought it new in 1985 and it did about 45 mpg. When I retired it to the garage, its still there, 330,000 miles later it did about 58 mpg with a steady 65mph on the motorway giving me 60 mpg.
This was achieved by
1. replacing the stock exhaust with a balanced one where all the pipes leaving the cylinder head were the same length.
2. a gearbox upgrade basically a taller 5th gear
3. replacing the rear bevel drive with one from an RS, less wheel rotations for each shaft rotation.
4. a K&N filter.

My point is would it not be possible to get a balanced exhaust made for the Xantia? Would it be possible to fit a 6 speed gearbox from the C5 onto the Xantia? and try an aftermarket filter. I've had my K&N since 1999 and its saved me a fortune in filters as well as giving a small performance boost.

Chris
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream