Eolys?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Eolys?

Post by wheeler »

This vehicle has a pouch based system. You replace the bag rather than top it up.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@ Bhan: So it's a pouch as Wheeler has said, and is Eolys 'Powerflex'. You'll still need to reset the additive counter after replacing it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bhan
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso

Post by Bhan »

Thats perfect! thank you so much for the help! I shall go nag the local RAC chap and borrow his computers for 10 mins.
Datadogie
My Cars: 2009 Citroen picasso exlusive satnav

Post by Datadogie »

just changed the pouch. Simple
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@ Datadogie: ... and I take it you reset the additive counter?

The additive tank is not physically measured, so the engine ECU must be told it has been filled up, or you'll get warnings down the line when it thinks it is nearing empty and then it may go into backup mode.....

Marc
ivansimeonov
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7, 2.2 HDI, 204

Post by ivansimeonov »

Hello,
the garage that service my car topped it with EOLYS Powerflex according VIN. But reading this forum I'm afraid they used wrong type. Could someone tell me on C5 X7 2.2HDI 204, 2011 MY, with VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] which one is correct type ?
What could be consequences if wrong type is filled and what to do ? I've already drive the car around 2000 km and everything is OK for now.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The correct Type is Eolys EXTEND for your C5 X7 with build date code (ORGA / RPO) 12677.

If you had Infineum F7995 additive in your tank previously, then you can mix it with Eolys EXTEND OK - but:

Additives EOLYS POWERFLEX and INFINEUM F7995 cannot be mixed with each other. If you do this, they are incompatible and the mixture of the 2 cause the additive pump to block with particles.

So I would get your garage to drain the additive tank and refill it with Eolys EXTEND at their expense as they made the mistake.

Marc
ivansimeonov
(Donor 2022)

Post by ivansimeonov »

Thank you for your time and information provided !
Just one more question - is there any difference in color of the different type of EOLYS, because they(the garage) especially told me that remaining EOLYS was the same color as new one ? It was topped because of message on board computer. Since topping the car made at least 2 regenerations, and DP(differential pressure) reading are 5-6 on idle and about 30 on 2500-3000 rpm. Last regeneration was just 70km ago, previous reading shows about 500 km.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You cannot go by the colour of the liquid - that it irrelevant. It is the type of additive that is critical along with the exact vehicle and the build date that determines the correct fluid.

Marc
ivansimeonov
(Donor 2022)

Post by ivansimeonov »

Thanks once again.
Garage agreed to change the EOLYS tomorrow after emptying the tank. But they struggle to find Walker 83058 (this equivalent to "Extend"). Is it OK to fill with Walker 80617 (Eolys 176) or exactly Eolys Extend is needed ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Extend is the recommended additive for your build date and can be bought here for example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254386489956

Marc
aspire_helen
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2HDi Exc SE 2001

Post by aspire_helen »

As the topic is "Eolys" I thought I would add my experience of Eolys (DPX42) in my 2001 C5 2.2HDiExcSE. The Eolys is in a separate 5ltr tank which is supposed to be replaced every 50,000miles, along with the DPF filter (cleaned and reconditioned, not new).
1. The car has covered 185,000 miles. I have owned it since 2003 at 9000miles. In that time the DPF filter has been replaced only once, at 73,144 miles in December 2006. Only on one occasion since has the filter warning light come on, but I sorted that with a 30 mile run down the motorway in 4th gear at 70mph.
2. Unwittingly, between March 2011 (112,700) and January 2015 (151,600) the engine did not consume any Eolys at all, without any evident problems. The history behind that was...I had noticed the Eolys additive pump was running continuously after filling the diesel tank. A Citroen main dealer replaced the additive ECU, and i topped up the Eolys tank to overflow at 112,700 miles (March 2011). I checked the level some 4 years and 39,000miles later, and it was still brim full!! I decided not to spend (waste) my money again on a dealership, so ever since I have added the Eolys manually at the prescribed doseage of 37.5ml (ish) per 60litre top up. Its no problem...periodically I just fill half a dozen small medicine bottles and tip one in before every re-fuel (just like Redex etc).
3. In addition, I incorporated a "DPF regeneration indicator" in the drivers door mirror which lights up every time the car attempts to regenerate (notionally every 400km). Its simply an LED linked to the mirror glass de-mister element which the car turns on to increases the load on the engine via the alternator during regeneration. Sure enough the car still regenerates the filter perfectly Ok, taking about 10 miles of motorway to do so. However, it is interesting to watch the light come on and off during town driving as if the car is trying to regenerate the filter. If that happens I just take it for a short high speed run and it does its stuff.
4. All my MOTs have passed the emissions tests no problems.
5. I routinely return 60-65mpg cruising at 60/65mph on motorways.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

One of the reasons why you probably haven’t used very much additive apart from the fact you additive pump isn’t working, is because natural regeneration occurs at 550°C, whereas assisted regeneration occurs at 450°C.

It is not recommended to add the additive fluid to the tank directly.Regeneration does not occur at the same mileage, but only when the engine ECU requests it. There’s quite a complex series of events that determine when and if regeneration takes place. You have one of the older vehicles with a separate additive ECU. Most modern vehicles have done away with this separate ECU and use the engine ECU to perform a similar function.

This method wouldn’t be any good for modern cars anyway. The whole system depends on calculated amounts, from the fuel added, driving conditions, and other factors. Apart from that the additive fluid contains particles along with engine deposits they cannot be burnt off in the filter. The engine ECU keeps a note of how much additive has gone through the filter and at some point will trigger the filter replacement warning. Cerine cannot be burned off and it is this and engine debris that ultimately block the filter. Furthermore, more modern additives use much less than the older systems so are more finely metered out.

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

aspire_helen wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 17:49
3. In addition, I incorporated a "DPF regeneration indicator" in the drivers door mirror which lights up every time the car attempts to regenerate (notionally every 400km). Its simply an LED linked to the mirror glass de-mister element which the car turns on to increases the load on the engine via the alternator during regeneration.
Ingenious, what a great idea :idea:

One of the biggest issues with DPF systems in my opinion is that the driver (unless they are switched on to the tell tale signs) has no idea regeneration is happening & can often unwittingly interrupt the process which really isn't good for it.
A few manufacturers, Toyota for one are now making warning messages appear on screen when it is in progress to warn you not to interrupt it.
aspire_helen
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2HDi Exc SE 2001

Post by aspire_helen »

To be clear, on the Mk1 2.2HDi (Euro2) the additive ECU pumps Eolys into the fuel tank every time diesel is added at a dosage of 37.5ml per 60ltrs. Opening the fuel flap alerts the additive ECU that diesel is about to be added, and is then told how much fuel has been added. The ECU then calculates and pumps in the commensurate dose. The additive motor can be heard on turning on the ignition after topping up. Hence, all the fuel that the engine uses is already dosed, but the additive is only used during regeneration...wasteful. Not surprisingly later systems inject it only when needed. But in my case, the additive pump kept running. As there was a chance that the entire contents of the Eolys tank had been emptied into the diesel tank, the AA agreed to relay the car to a dealer. Their Lexia could find no fault, despite the pump running audibly! The Eolys tank had not been emptied. The dealer replaced the additive ECU on spec (paid for by my AA policy) and all seemed well.
But it appeared that no Eolys was added by the ECU thereafter. So when I discovered that, I drained down about 5ltrs of Eolys and have added it manually like any other additive ever since.