Eolys?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikita031
My Cars: Peugeot 508 BlueHdi 2.0 150PS

Re: DPF Fluid- which one to choose?

Post by Nikita031 »

Okay guys, thanks very much. I also thought that Powerflex is the right choice, but some mechanics were confused by green color on the tank connector. Therefore I decided to check your opinion on this. Many thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DPF Fluid- which one to choose?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes that was the general rule official rule - but it was not reliable as sometimes they used older stocks of additive tanks up on newer models, which could lead to the confusion and the wrong fluid being added. Another reason is that if an additive supply pipes / tank unit have been replaced with a second hand part, then that can also lead to the wrong fluid being used.

So always go by the build date (RPO / DAM) as that reflects the Euro Emissions standards and engines fitted at the time. Use this guide to determine the correct additive. It shows your build date and the type of fluid.

For vehicles built from 1st March 2010 Powerflex was used. But if I had a vehicle built on or very near to this date with a 'Green' connector, I would double check with the dealer so there was no come back as it was near the switchover date.
walker.PNG
But as your vehicle was build 28th January 2016, that is 6 years after Powerflex was introduced, so it will be Powerflex you need.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
vladm
My Cars: Citroen DS5 2.0 HDi 163hp

Re: Eolys?

Post by vladm »

Hi everyone, this question may have been asked before, sorry for that.

I have a 2.0 HDI 2014 DS5 and I've just got the "Particle Filter Additive level Too Low" about 300 kms ago, while I am on a road trip. I still have about 1000 km to go until I get to my service to fix this.

What happens if I go on like this? Is there a risk for my car to dumb down and refuse to start?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, don't get the refusal to start issue mixed up - that's specifically for ADBLUE enabled vehicles with an SCR system in addition to a DPF.

The DPF additive is separate and basically the car is looking at the distance showing until your next service (from your maintenance indicator) and how much additive is in the tank. It decides whether there will be enough for regenerations to take place until your next service, if yes, there is no warning, if not, it puts the warning up to tell you to get it done earlier.

Failure to get it topped up will mean potential clogging of the filter as the system will disable the additive dosing system to protect it. If it cannot regenerate and the filter starts clogging, you may end up where it can no longer regenerate because it is too badly blocked. That's why the warning is there - as it does not think you have enough in the additive tank before your next service.

Marc
Nikita031

Post by Nikita031 »

Hello All. Following up my question about the right additive fluid for my 2016 Peugeot 508 BlueHdi 150PS, I would like to share my experience with you. While I was looking to buy the right DPF additive, more serious issue occurred. Namely, DMF suddenly broke down while on the highway without any previous signs of wear, which caused me great headache and made additional expenses for my pocket. I was very surprised to see this because the car is 2016 with 123k km on the clock. How possible was this to happen? I did what I had to do- replaced the whole kit- Valeo DMF and clutch set with hydraulic thrust bearing for 900 EUR with labor costs included. Any similar experience?
As for the additive, before I topped it up, I had this annoying message- Engine Fault Repair Needed when starting the engine and SERVICE lamp being on all the time. Today Peugeot dealer had it topped up with almost 2l of additive fluid, SERVICE lamp is gone, but this evening I have the same message- Engine Fault Repair Needed with Check Engine lamp on all the time. It is the first time that this lamp is constantly on. The difference is that Service lamp is off now. What the heck is going on with this car? Any ideas before I pour some petrol over it and light it up as a kindle?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I feel the pain!

Actually the DMFs have been known to fail at just 20k miles (32k KMs). A lot depends on driving style. With 6 speed gearboxes and lots of torque available it's easy to drive in 5th / 6th gear when you normally wouldn't. That can put a lot of strain on the DMF. Towing too is a curse on these things. Always try and stay in the right gear for the speed. I often get caught out in fifth at low speeds as it's so easy to get the power without noticing. I'm on my second DMF at 112k KMs. The original one was shot and caught just in time. The previous towed - say no more!

Marc
Nikita031

Post by Nikita031 »

Terrible. It's needless to say that I was shocked.
Do you have any idea about Check Engine light? According to DiagBox, it seems that the car was out of additive fluid for some time, last regeneration was done around 1,700km ago. But this DiagBox was not able to read saturation of DPF.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Normally you will get a low additive warning message first of all.

The system works by looking at your maintenance indicator and the distance to go before your next service is due. The Eolys in the additive tank is not physically measured. It is estimated based on the amount that was added at the factory when new and the amount that has been injected into the fuel tank (when you add diesel) and estimates how much is left.

If the system estimates that there will be insufficient additive to last for the regenerations required for the distance you have remaining before your next service, then it puts the message up to tell you to top it up.

If you ignore the warning it will get to the stage where regeneration will cease as it will stop the additive pump from operating to prevent damage. Then the filter starts to clog and you are looking at more expense to unblock it.

As for topping it up, it is important to completely top up the additive tank and then use Diagbox to reset the additive to zero, so it knows there is a full tank.

Diagbox should easily be able to tell you the current soot level (only until the next regeneration occurs - when it will zero out again) and also the amount of additive that has been injected into the filter in weight. It uses this info to determine when the DPF needs replacing as the Cerine elements and engine deposits in the oil cannot be burnt off. It is this that eventually leads to the blocking of the DPF.

What version of Diagbox are you running?

Marc
Nikita031

Post by Nikita031 »

Hello and thanks for detailed info. I was also expecting to see message like- Additive level too low, but there was no such message on my display. Checking Peugeot 508 manual, I noticed that this message does not appear anywhere in the book. Since I had this message on the screen- Engine Fault Repair needed, I found in the manual that this can be a sign of shortage of DPF fluid. And I was convinced in this especially because my car has done 123k KM, so according to my previous experience with Peugeot cars, this is when the owner needs to check additive level. And I was right, since almost 2L of additive were poured to the tank.
A workshop specialized in Peugeot cars did the job for me and I was standing next to mechanics while they were using DiagBox. I do not know which version they use, but I know that it is not the newest one, since they were doubtful if they will manage to diagnose issues on 2016 Peugeot. They told me this openly. But eventually everything went fine, additive was topped up, errors were gone until tonight when I started a car and saw this Check Engine light on again. I think that I will return to the same guys again tomorrow to try to fix the issue.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you should still get a message!

The handbook clearly states: "A low additive level is indicated by illumination of the service warning lamp, accompanied by an audible warning and a message in the instrument panel screen."

If the particle filter starts clogging up, then you will get the service light on and again a message in the multifunction screen. I'm assuming here of course that you haven't changed the multifunction screen or changed the Head Unit / Audio system for another unit. I say this as others have done this and wondered why they are not getting certain messages displayed.

Another reason is that if the additive counter has not been reset properly and confirmed using the right diagnostic tool with the right software version, then the system may not be aware that the additive has been topped up.

It is important that the right version of Diagbox is used to ensure that it has the ability to read the later ECU software and to be able to reset it correctly. If they are using an older version of Diagbox, then the software may not have the files to read the specific engine ECU (even though it may say it has been reset).

Marc
Nikita031

Post by Nikita031 »

What they showed me when connected on DiagBox was that the last regeneration was done 1,700km ago(!!!). This is my business car and I drive it mainly on highway (last week I did 2,500km on highway). Although there was no message Additive Level Low on the screen, I assumed that the tank was low or even out of fluid. I think that this is the reason why regeneration failed. Yesterday and today i went on a highway and made 150km in 3rd gear mostly keeping the car between 2,500 and 3,000 revs. hoping that new fluid which I topped up yesterday will clear the system. And guess what- it really happened. After 100km driving and forcing active regeneration, Check Engine light disappeared and now No Faults message is shown on display. Do you think that it would be good to check saturation of DPF once again since several regenerations failed? The car is running smoothly without any unusual signs of behaviour and any fault mesages present.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't know the history or status of your car obviously, but if a DPF becomes filled with soot at anywhere from about 70% and up, then it can become impossible to regenerate (including a forced regeneration using a Diagnostic tool).

Don't be too concerned about the recorded regeneration distances - if you are doing motorway journeys where the exhaust gets hot enough (around 550°C), then 'natural regeneration' occurs. This means the exhaust is already hot enough that it burns the soot off without needing any assistance. So the distance between regenerations in Diagbox only records the assisted regenerations and not the naturally occurring ones.

There is an average distance between regenerations shown. If a car does shorter journeys, then the average distance between these will be shorter as assisted regeneration happens more frequently.

Marc
Nikita031

Post by Nikita031 »

Oh, that's great. Since I purchased my car 14 months ago, I've made 40k KM and from these probably 35k KM on European highways. So I believe that my DPF is in good condition as there vas very little city driving since I bought the car. I will follow how it reacts, but there should be no issues with regeneration or saturation since the car runs like a Roadrunner. :-) Thanks for your help and advice, I appreciate it.
vladm
My Cars: Citroen DS5 2.0 HDi 163hp

Post by vladm »

HI guys, can anyone help with some info. I need to top up my DPF additive for a 2014 DS5 but I can't find reliable information about what type of additive and how much does it go in.

Is Eolys Powerflex gen 3 the correct additive?

My VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Thanks!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@Vladm: Your build date is 13581, (14th January 2014), and your vehicle is Euro 5, so Blue Powerflex.

Marc