Computer operating systems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Re: Computer operating systems

Post by MattBLancs »

CitroJim wrote: 05 May 2023, 16:40.. The very thought of waking up unnaturally to something making a noise is abhorrent...
You do get used to it, thankfully as they get older their waking up diminishes.

Oh wait, not talking about having a newborn baby in the house? Oops sorry! :rofl2:

I do need an alarm, though usually have no issues actually getting up when prompted. I've heard work colleague describing how he needed to set THREE alarms in his phone in order to actually get going in the morning! 2 to 5 minutes apart. Each subsequent disturbance getting him a notch further towards consciousness again! (I picture his getting up being akin to the multiple attempts / glow plug cycles of an old diesel engine on a very cold day! :-D ) I'm thankful I can generally get my facsimile of a functional human being up and running in short order, even at some if the ungodly hours I've needed to do so for long trips away with work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I usually wake up before my alarm goes off, but just in case I were to turn it off and roll over the alarm clock is on the other side of my bedroom. That means that I HAVE to get up to turn it off.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Post by MattBLancs »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 11 May 2023, 21:41 I usually wake up before my alarm goes off, but just in case I were to turn it off and roll over the alarm clock is on the other side of my bedroom. That means that I HAVE to get up to turn it off.
It's good, but it's no "helicopter alarm clock"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skykaylen-Craz ... B07RPJ297J

I think it's basically some sort of torture device - the helicopter bit basically revs up the rotor and sets off landing somewhere at random in the room. "Only" ** way to shut the alarm off (which is very loud) is find the thing and return it to the base station.

I think I'd quickly learn to wake up a minute ahead of the alarm to intercept it before it set off .... or else have a trip to A&E to have bits of alarm clock shrapnel removed from my hand as pounding the thing into the bedside table would likely be the ** only way a very much not yet awake and very much not in the mood to be playing a game of where's the damn helicopter version of me might decide upon to silence it! :-D

(Perhaps should have got one for my three alarms colleague though!)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not so much the OS as the browser. Brave updated today and I can't drag and drop photo's using it, had to navigate to each photo through the file system.
Used Firefox for the last few and that remains unchanged.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Was wondering why there were huge blank spaces in some forums on Firefox until I updated the adblocker in Brave and Chromium. Where the ads would be, just blanked and not collapsed.
1698524930755.png