C5 V6 auto box fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

C5 V6 auto box fluid

Post by Allanxantia »

can't find any detail around what fluid to use. towing the caravan to france at the end of April so I want to have some fresh fluid in to keep the temperature down!
Someone mentioned a complicated procedure with a lexia....surely not?
2002 C5 V6 Exclusive auto LPG
1997 Xantia TD SX £200 bargain
1993 Xantia DLX (now dead)

Then after a 10 year Citroenless gap

1995N Xantia Activa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Allan,

The ONLY fluid you must use is Esso/Mobil LT71141. Nothing else, not even if it might suggest it's compatible; it isn't :twisted: I repeat that the only fluid to use is Esso/Mobil LT71141.

There is a procedure and a Lexia is necessary to ensure the oil is at the right temperature as the level varies markedly with oil temperature.

I will post the full procedure later... I do not have access to it right now.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Allan,

Here's the procedure for checking the 4HP20 fluid level...

Be aware that you can only do a partial change as half the old fluid is trapped in the Torque Converter. It's a good idea to do two partial cvhages in succession..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The 4HP20 still has an external loop of hard line - is it possible to abuse this for more complete drainage?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I reckon if you are really keen you could empty the TC by feeding in new fluid (gravity or pump) and flicking the starter till new colour fluid comes out your feed.

Ie. you have never emptied the TC but simply used new to push out old.

Needless to say.............I was too lazy to do it :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

CitroJim wrote:Hi Allan,

The ONLY fluid you must use is Esso/Mobil LT71141. Nothing else, not even if it might suggest it's compatible; it isn't :twisted: I repeat that the only fluid to use is Esso/Mobil LT71141.
Jim, you have me paranoid now, I've had a HP20 rebuilt 15,000Km ago and checked fluid last night... A RED COLOUR :evil: :twisted: ! Has that spelt doom for me?!?!?!? :cry: :shock:

I recall reading somewhere that it is yellowish and smells very similar to cat pee :!: :?:
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mongoose100 wrote: I recall reading somewhere that it is yellowish and smells very similar to cat pee :!: :?:
Yes, that's right Regan, it's horrible stuff; makes you feel sick :twisted: It looks like ordinary engine oil but is slimier as well as smelly...

Sounds like your 'box has been filled with DEXRON...

You'll be OK if you drain it soonest, refill with LT and then do two more changes in quick succession to get as much of the DEX out of the system as possible.

I've stripped a 4HP20 that had been filled with DEX and no apparant damage had arisen but this particular 'box had not done many miles. The change was made in an attempt to eradicate a pre-existing fault.

If everything is OK now, a change will save the day but do do it sooner rather than later.

I warn you that LT71141 is expensive but will be cheaper if you buy a 20L drum of it. You'll need most of it....
Jim

Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

with 93k on the clock, and gearbox performing as it should, do I need to change the fuid? sounds an expensive pain?

1995N Xantia Activa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Allanxantia wrote:with 93k on the clock, and gearbox performing as it should, do I need to change the fuid? sounds an expensive pain?
Most definitely you do at that mileage if you have no concrete records of it having been done in the past. Official change interval according to ZF is 100K/10 years.

The LT71141 may be expensive but it's cheaper than a recon gearbox...
Jim

Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

oh bugger, my cheap "holiday car" is getting dearer by the day, timing belt full service, middle cat needed replaced. two tyres, rear calipers welded to trailing arms......Argh

Has anyone had a transmission fail? Citroen Glasgow assure me that it is "sealed for life"

1995N Xantia Activa
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Allanxantia wrote: Citroën Glasgow assure me that it is "sealed for life"
They would rather sell you a new autobox that a few quids worth of oil.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Allanxantia wrote: Has anyone had a transmission fail? Citroën Glasgow assure me that it is "sealed for life"
Yes :evil: I have two full rebuilds of 4HP20s under my belt :roll:

One was my own 'Old' V6 which I bought with a dead gearbox and another was a fellow forum member's car... I bought mine in that condition as a challenge to see if I could fix the gearbox. nearly two years on, touch wood, it's still good...

Citroen Glasgow are technically right, "sealed for life" being defined as 100K/10 years. By that time they assume the whole car is worn out anyway and will be scrapped...

Have a look at this website. It gives you an idea of the rebuild job...

Here's theharrowing story of my first rebuild...

It's not difficult really...

But I do recommend an oil change :wink:
Jim

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Hi Guys,

Allanxantia has been in touch to ask me about resetting the gearbox fluid counter on his C5.

Does anyone know where abouts on the Lexia settings you navigate to for the reset feature?

Thanks in advance!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

The car is at 93k just now and just turned 9 years. If I still have it at 100k I'll do it. It is another 150 quid at least by the time I change filters and the fluid is not cheap at all. I know the previous owner who had the car for 7 years and the transmission has not had a hard life, a gentle motorway commute each day, cold climate. I might take my chances until after the summer. My only issue is the oil counter triggering limp home mode when I am in France next month, so I want to try and get the counter reset now

1995N Xantia Activa
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Allanxantia wrote:The car is at 93k just now and just turned 9 years. If I still have it at 100k I'll do it. It is another 150 quid at least by the time I change filters and the fluid is not cheap at all. I know the previous owner who had the car for 7 years and the transmission has not had a hard life, a gentle motorway commute each day, cold climate. I might take my chances until after the summer. My only issue is the oil counter triggering limp home mode when I am in France next month, so I want to try and get the counter reset now
do it! trust me, 1 Xantia and a 406 have said farewell to their boxes.

Xantia was at 92,000 Kilometres when it lunched the torque converter
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD