Gareth's S1 Activa Progress Report

Contains the Activa Register, Buyers Guide and Activa "finds" on eBay and elsewhere. Post Activa-specific items that do not fall naturally into the Citroen Forum.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Deanxm wrote:
The Mondeo for a car of its type is considered to be an excellent large FWD car, actually a bit quicker around a track than the lighter and more powerful Focus ST, it does feel very solid, communicates well and with no fuss, you feel confident with it.
Thats interesting, i wasnt that taken by my mates Focus RS recently when i borrowed it, its hard to argue with 300bhp but then it felt like an oil tanker over here on small winding roads and as with most new cars visability was bad, dont get me wrong it could move and hang onto the road but it didnt feel that much fun, im hoping the Xantia will be more of a cheap (throw it around) go cart that wont p**s me off if i have to actualy use it day to day. in comparison my work collegue just got an old Mondeo ST and i rather liked it, for a Ford it was alright :lol: , but if anyone asks you didnt hear that.

D
The RS is pretty hardcore, i loved it but handling wise, sometimes its better on our roads to have some softness added to the set up. The ST Focus is more grown up hot hatch, the Mondeo a bit of a cruiser with a fun edge, which is why i have it, not once do i regret buying it, from the time i turn they key and take it out again it has a great feel about it, that sweet revving V6 really makes the car, amazing soundtrack.
KevMayer

Post by KevMayer »

The boost on the Activa is more than standard because I adjusted the tension on the waste gate actuator. It's possibly around 9 or 10 psi. (that's me assuming that it's 6 psi standard).

I took it further at one point but had to back it off because the engine management light started to come on under heavy acceleration.

Measure it and let us know. I have a boost gauge but didn't get around to setting it up.
KevMayer

Post by KevMayer »

Just had a look at the video of the speedos etc. Nice to see that all the dashboard bulbs are working. I changed most of them because when I got the Activa they'd almost all gone.

The car is looking really good. It's great to see how she's doing.
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Kev,

Standard boost is up to 9psi, base setting on the actuator is usually 4-5psi, very weak. Shortening the rod will give more of a 'spike' but the top level of boost is still controlled by ECU via the boost control valve so it shouldnt be much higher, like all Activa's with the OE valve its designed to modulate between the base setting up to the max determined by the ECU to smooth out the power delivery.

This mid range spike will be what caused the EML to illuminate, which is usually just below the 1 bar cut off.

It will be interesting to see what boost its running, and once the manual boost controller is in place, it will be a solid 13psi from around 2200rpm.

There was still half a hole when i refitted the actuator arm, and on my old one, i shortened it significantly and the base level of boost still didnt rise more than 1psi :? It did give more 'kick' to the delivery though.
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Boost report = All over the bloody place!

I saw a spike of 1 bar at one point, but the average was around 7.5psi with a peak at 8-9psi, so actually, a bit lower than it should of been.

Anyway, the OE valve has been disconnected, although the multiplug remains to prevent the EML coming on.

The hoses were very brittle, i had to trim a few as they split coming off the old valve.

In the process the plastic hose stub became detached from the valve. This revealed just a simple spring and metal cap, which when energised will open and shut, regulating the boost according to the engine/ECU demands.

Very simple really, in fact quite crude, i refitted the plastic stub and no EML so all good there.

I eventually found my old manual boost valve, and just fitted it as it was with the preset of the old S2.

It must of been a little sticky, as boost was peaking at 1 Bar everywhere, it bloody flies at this boost and the EML did not come on!

Settled down a bit now to 11-12psi, still a bit of a flier, boost far better controlled and it feels a lot more responsive and turbocharged, to be honest the standard boost is plain boring, the valve really transforms the feel of the engine.

Now the front brakes are shot and growning and grinding, so my new discs should be here shortly, and then the pads will be matched up at GSF.

The blowing centre pipe is a shame as its otherwise very quiet, this will be resolved once the brakes are down.

The suspension is not happy. The front will not rise when started after an hour or from an overnight rest. To get the front up, means putting it on full height, and then dropping it down to normal, then its ok.

Gareth
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Are you planning to play Activas tomorrow Gareth?

If you are and the weather proves not too bad, I'm up for a trip over your way with a Lexia and sphere tester in the boot...
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

CitroJim wrote:Are you planning to play Activas tomorrow Gareth?

If you are and the weather proves not too bad, I'm up for a trip over your way with a Lexia and sphere tester in the boot...
Hi Jim, we are off to my grandads tomorrow but rest of the week is clear? Wont be able to do much road testing with the brakes shot though..

I have a feeling the dog bone has popped off.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a shame Gareth. Sadly I'm occupied on Wednesday and then back to work on Thursday and Friday. Saturday I'm planning a trip down to Somerset. Sunday or Monday is a possibility....
XantiaMan wrote: I have a feeling the dog bone has popped off.
That's my feeling too...
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Would i be able to book you for next Sunday? Can go out for a carvery then :wink:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

XantiaMan wrote:Would i be able to book you for next Sunday? Can go out for a carvery then :wink:
Booked :D The carvery swung it :lol: :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

CitroJim wrote:
XantiaMan wrote:Would i be able to book you for next Sunday? Can go out for a carvery then :wink:
Gareth, you do mean NEXT Sunday and not this Sunday coming?
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

CitroJim wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
Yes mate, bit of a rush this weekend!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

XantiaMan wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
Yes mate, bit of a rush this weekend!
That's perfect, next Sunday then...
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Today, CitroJim came over to Norwich and had a good going over suspension wise to diagnose a few niggles, many of which i would of missed without his expertise.

Firstly, the suspension wasnt happy at moving up at the front, only raising when put into high, and then dropped into normal.

The original thought was a popped off dog bone.

Jim spotted that the height corrector was not at the correct angle on the anti roll ball, and soon had that straightened out. Sadly this did not cure the lazy lifting.

The front end in normal height once raised was too low, by the 2nd attempt, Jim had it sitting perfectly arch to tyre gap wise :lol:

The next problem was a slight lean, the passenger side was lower than the drivers by nearly 2 cm's.

The roll corrector linkage was not set up equally which was the first issue, once equalised we tried many times to get it level but without the car sitting on ramps, this was a laborious task, must of jacked the car up 15 times!

We gave up on that in the end.

Next task is to strip the height correctors. We suspect there is an internal blockage which is preventing the rising up, the rear suffers the opposite, its lazy at the top end, slow to drop once you get out of the car.

Luckily, Jim said this is something he can sort for me, whilst i may be capable i put my trust in his superior expertise, based on my previous car which was superb.

Good news is, he reckons all the spheres are as they should be, the STOP light going out quick is attributed to the lazy front, a final tweak of the roll corrector will have it sitting perfect too.

The diode mode carried out previously is working fine.

The exhaust is blowing at the centre join with the cat and also the rear box, which is too short for the car! I may still get an aftermarket back box so i wont have to worry about this, the tailpipe doesnt quite exit after the bumper as it should.

Front pipe is easy, just needs a new clamp.

Brake discs will be replaced, the front pad on the NS has parted company from its metal backing, quite amusing but also bloody dangerous, will do a picture before its replaced.
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

I suspect, quite often when the exhaust is replaced on Activas, the previous owner is asked what engine size and they say "2lt" so the wrong pipe/box is fitted.
That was the case with Juliet.