Gareth's S1 Activa Progress Report

Contains the Activa Register, Buyers Guide and Activa "finds" on eBay and elsewhere. Post Activa-specific items that do not fall naturally into the Citroen Forum.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good stuff Gareth :D She's looking sweet :P

My Activa (also S1) seemed very sprightly indeed yesterday when I took her for a spin. There is definitely a difference between S1 and S2...
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

CitroJim wrote:Good stuff Gareth :D She's looking sweet :P

My Activa (also S1) seemed very sprightly indeed yesterday when I took her for a spin. There is definitely a difference between S1 and S2...
Its hard to say what the difference feels like, its like the S1 is more aggressive in its power delivery, must be down to ECU mapping, once you remove the original boost control and fit a manual this changes it completely.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Looking good Gareth, seems you have the same cold air feed issue as me, ive made up a nice alloy box for the cone to sit in ive just got to visit the scrap yard for some really big ducting with the right bends and in a sensible colour to get some air from my scoop to the box the filter is in, which will be fun.

D
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Deanxm wrote:Looking good Gareth, seems you have the same cold air feed issue as me, ive made up a nice alloy box for the cone to sit in ive just got to visit the scrap yard for some really big ducting with the right bends and in a sensible colour to get some air from my scoop to the box the filter is in, which will be fun.

D
Its not an issue at the moment being winter but it will be come late spring-summer time when the ambient temperatures get up above 15c. I made a kit for the Mondeo which worked very well and will do something similar for the Activa.

One thing i am considering its water/methanol injection. I've had it before on my Maestro and it does knock the inlet temperatures down, as well as act as a detonation suppressor, i never noticed a performance drop with the kit due to the water reducing the available oxygen in the air, only gained by getting rid of tiny knock that the ECU used to see via the knock sensor and then retard the timing.

Done properly it will allow the engine to run cooler inlet temps, higher levels of advance as a result and this more power, assuming of course the OE intercooler is marginal.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Ive no worries on the intercooler front, mines the size of a barn door :lol: i keep looking at the tax disc on the XM wondering when the time will come when i can put the Activa into action, mind you, i could do wit something to sit on first, and a heater, and some strut tops etc etc :lol:
Reminds me, if anyone ever wants a oe Activa/2.1td intercooler thats fairly new let me know.

By the Way Gareth nice loking car, MK1 Silver Activa's are my favourite now for some reason :lol:

D
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

Looking good Gareth - I look forward to the updates on the performance front. 8-)
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Small video albeit in the dark of 2nd to 4th, then 4th gear mid range, it feels better than it looks to be honest but the standard cat and exhaust really strangles the power over 4500rpm where the torque and bhp falls away quickly, easily resolved though.

Yet to get a boost gauge, could be interesting at it feels way perkier than my S2 and that was running spot on boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM0EtW-pyso
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

No wonder it goes so well, its not carrying any fuel you tight git :lol:
sounds nice though even with the standard exhaust.
D
admiral51
Donor 2021

Post by admiral51 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Deanxm wrote:No wonder it goes so well, its not carrying any fuel you tight git :lol:
sounds nice though even with the standard exhaust.
D
Yeah its pretty low, not put any in since November 13th, most likely gone off and it was only 95 ron. It will get half a tank of 99 and an ECU reset when i get the boost control valve and up the boost. Still fun though, i only nipped out to Sainsburys to get some nappies for Jack :wink:
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

i only nipped out to Sainsburys to get some nappies for Jack Wink
my mrs wouldnt fall for that :lol:

D
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Deanxm wrote:
i only nipped out to Sainsburys to get some nappies for Jack Wink
my mrs wouldnt fall for that :lol:

D
I did get nappies though, she still didnt fall for it as i was gone nearly an hour instead of 20 minutes :lol:
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

:lol: exellent, the day mine goes on the road i will dissapear at the crack of dawn and come home only when ive ran out of fuel, which i suspect is what brought you back :lol:
tell me whats the handling like compared to say, the ST?

D
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Deanxm wrote: tell me whats the handling like compared to say, the ST?

D
The ST is a very well sorted modern car in terms of handling, roll is not excessive, it feels poised when you put it through a series of bends and it rides well considering its low and sporty set up.

The ST220 is a bit heavier than the Xantia, about 80-90kg but it really feels much heavier, it doesnt have the nimbleness of the Activa, as i've said in the past about my old S2, when you put it into a corner the chassis becomes taut and feels like its a 1 ton car.

The Mondeo for a car of its type is considered to be an excellent large FWD car, actually a bit quicker around a track than the lighter and more powerful Focus ST, it does feel very solid, communicates well and with no fuss, you feel confident with it.

The Activa is great fun, but it does lack steering feel in comparison, the brakes are not progressive and this doesn't help when pushing it, i'm used to it and it doesn't bother me but a Mondeo ST220 would be more of a 'drivers' car, a great example of what modern chassis engineers can achieve with a steel sprung set up, whereas the Activa was an unusual exercise that was completely successful in my mind, in proving what can be done with a hydropneumatic set up and retain a superior ride quality to anything else in its class and run rings around them in the chassis department.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

The Mondeo for a car of its type is considered to be an excellent large FWD car, actually a bit quicker around a track than the lighter and more powerful Focus ST, it does feel very solid, communicates well and with no fuss, you feel confident with it.
Thats interesting, i wasnt that taken by my mates Focus RS recently when i borrowed it, its hard to argue with 300bhp but then it felt like an oil tanker over here on small winding roads and as with most new cars visability was bad, dont get me wrong it could move and hang onto the road but it didnt feel that much fun, im hoping the xantia will be more of a cheap (throw it around) go cart that wont p**s me off if i have to actualy use it day to day. in comparison my work collegue just got an old Mondeo ST and i rather liked it, for a Ford it was alright :lol: , but if anyone asks you didnt hear that.

D