Disabling coded keypad Peugeot 405

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carlo14
My Cars:

Disabling coded keypad Peugeot 405

Post by carlo14 »

Could anyone help?

Just bought a 405 which doesn't seem to need a code entering on the keypad to start it, although the keypad has the red light on it with ignition off, and 'peeps' three times when you turn the engine off.

I've heard you can disable the keypads and it looks like this one has been, but could this cause problems later on if, say, the battery is disconnected, key stops working or, as in my case, I want to put a different centre console in which would mean disturbing the electrics underneath.

The seller says the code has been put into the key, which I doubt on a 1995 405, but I am wondering if I'll need to know what the original code was whether it's either been disabled or bypassed.

Cheers!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If its a diesel it can be easily done away with (well reasonably easily)

Petrols not quite so easy.

To clarify a few things:

It can be in an unlocked state (assuming you use the remote to unlock the doors?) , 406's and 306's can be set like this too. Basically when you unlock the door it goes to green. It will stay green for a while (so if you are reasonably quick at switching on the ignition (possibly 30 seconds or up to 3 minutes), you never need to enter it) , this is what they mean by it "being on the key", there is NO transponder on a 405.

I cannot remember the sequence to do this, from memory its not actually shown in every handbook either. It still has a 'code' though.

If you had the code, on most models you can then enter the code (to go from 'red' to 'green') and then unplug the keypad (works with petrol engines too in most cases) then you do not have to worry about it again. Caution: Disconnecting battery will need the keypad plugging back in and the code entering. This may also apply in its current 'state' too.

Default code is 1111 btw ;) , although the previous owner / seller should have the code, its not obtainable out of the ECU or from the dealer as its changeable very easily, so its not like a radio decode. Losing the code and having a locked (red) keypad can result in an expensive bill for an ECU (on petrol engines at least)

Hope that makes a bit of sense, say if not :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
carlo14
My Cars:

Post by carlo14 »

Thanks Andy.

I wasn't aware of the first scenario, but will check what happens next time I get in.

I think it's probably been disabled, and this is my fear as I have no way of knowing whatever code was stored in it as the vendor didn't know.

Either way it seems if you don't know whatever the code was you're going to be snookered!

Carl
spider

Post by spider »

You're welcome.

Tip: Leave the 'flap' up when you get out so you can easily see the lights with it locked up.

When you come back in a few hours before you unlock the car, peer in and you`ll probably see the red light flashing (once every few seconds) as normal.

When you unlock it, it will go to green.

If it does this, it indicates its set in this 'auto' mode.

It will eventually lock to red if you just left it without switching the ignition on. Don't wait around for it to 'lock' to red though.

As I say I'm not sure if its in the handbook or not I do not recall seeing it, but certainly a 306 and a 406 can be set to do this too (some of them at least) , I have a vague idea it was in some extra technicians leaflet but I could be wrong (note not to be confused with 'service' mode which is something else, but that will not help if you do not have the code)

As above diesels can be bypassed (you will have to take the fuel pump off to do this though) but petrols are more work (or very difficult as you need to find another ECU)
Andy.

carlo14
My Cars:

Post by carlo14 »

Thanks again, and yes, it is a petrol!

Looks like I don't want to be getting a flat battery...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my 1.9TD XANT has the key pad and i removed the armour and imobaliser from the back of the pump, also conected a switched live to the solanoid shut off valve,

now even though the lights on the key pad light it dose not need a code entering ever again,

regards malcolm
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

You can get an exchange ECU from ATP of Hednesford that by-passes the key pad.Just plug it in and throw the key pad away,I`ve done it. BUT! it will cost you £300 or so!
spider

Post by spider »

Oldpug wrote:You can get an exchange ECU from ATP of Hednesford that by-passes the key pad.Just plug it in and throw the key pad away,I`ve done it. BUT! it will cost you £300 or so!
I know there's third party ones available but they are not too cheap ;) :) , I thought about suggesting an ECU from an earlier model (but you would have to match it and there's no 100% guarantee it would work OK) , I know with the 98 106's (1.1 at least) you can simply take an ECU from the 96 model and plug it in (again, you have to match the same type)
Andy.

carlo14
My Cars:

Post by carlo14 »

Certainly seems a strange set up on mine. The red light flashes on the pad but goes green as soon as you turn the key, when it starts. You can sit in the car for 10 mins having opened it but it will still start. I suppose I really need to disconnect the battery and see what happens, but I may end up with an un-startable car! I even have a spare ECU off an identical model so that may be an option if it all goes wrong.
spider

Post by spider »

Ensure you have the code for the 'spare' ECU :)
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

isnt the key code stored in the imobaliser module inside the armour on the rear of the pump, like early XANT's and not in the ECU,

regards malcolm
spider

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:isnt the key code stored in the imobaliser module inside the armour on the rear of the pump, like early XANT's and not in the ECU,

regards malcolm
This 405 is a petrol Malcolm :) , otherwise (as you know) would be quite easy to do away with it.
Andy.

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

spider wrote:Caution: Disconnecting battery will need the keypad plugging back in and the code entering. This may also apply in its current 'state' too.
Apparently NOT so...

Ive disconnected the Keypad in my Xantia V6 24v, on a P 1997 plate, and while shes sorn always have the battery dissconnected... I DO not need to put a keypad or code in when I reconnect the battery, and this can be after months of disconnection...

Weither this is a Citroen only feature or not I dont know! But I also had this with a Xantia TD too... Once disconnected leave disconnected.. unless you do know the code..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
carlo14
My Cars:

Post by carlo14 »

Interesting reply above, because that's what I've just discovered. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes and then tried again - no code required. I'm very surprised by this, if the system had been bypassed or automated I would have expected it to need the code again; and if the actual keypad had been disconnected I wouldn't have expected to see green and red lights showing on it. So heaven knows what's going on, at least it works for the time being!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Nothing is going on...

Its a cheap deferrant coding system with a flaw...

You WILL NOT need the code again UNTILL you DO reconnect your keypad, so for heavens sake do not forget the code.... or write it on the ECU!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto