xsara picasso cooling fan problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paul1968uk
My Cars:

Post by paul1968uk »

Hi There

We have a xsara picasso 2003 model and the fan at front of car has stopped working, we have checked all fuses and they are all ok and someone mentioned it could be a sensor that had gone down on water pipe telling the fan when to operate.

can anyone advise or help in the matter as car is over heated quite quickly

Ps also changed thermostat for a new 1 as well

rgds
paul
paul1968uk
My Cars:

Post by paul1968uk »

Anyone know what the problem could be plz
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Someone will be along who knows the problem but the majority of members here are Xantia owners, not many have Picassos so you may have to wait a little while.

In the meantime you might disconnect the fan and feed it 12V straight from the battery. If it spins then it is clearly OK and your suspicion of the sender will be almost confirmed.

If you have an AVO meter you can also check the resistance of the sender when it is cold and then hot. If there is no significant difference then it can fairly safely be assumed that it is due for replacement.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Paul,

I have a xantia, so can't give you any really detailed help. There will be Picasso owners on the forum, though the Xantia's probably more popular (until they rust away).

Cars get more complex as time goes on, & I know that the cooling fan's control circuitry for Xantias with aircon are more complex than those without aircon.

As you say, it could be the sensor in the water coolant pipe (or screwed into the radiator itself). In simplistic terms, find the sensor and bridge the connections (assumes 2 wires, and ignition would probably have to be on). If fan runs, then sensor proably at fault. If no joy, you could then try testing the fan by disconnecting it, and putting power straight to it from battery with a couple of leads.

If you have aircon, it may be more complex. Another possibility is a bad connection or wiring fauly. As I see it, it's a matter of elimination.

You might find having a manual helps. Libraries sometimes have them. Forum members disparagingly refer to the Haynes manuals as the "Book of Lies" (=BoL) and quite often there is information missing, or inadequate in detail, but a useful starting point nevertheless - better than nothing.

Good luck :)

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

What engine is it & does it have Air con ?
Bridging out the sensor wont work as the fans are controlled by the engine ECU. Disconecting the green temp sensor on the thermostat housing with the engine running should put the fan on at full speed.
Subsonicnat
My Cars: Xsara picasso exclusive 2.0 hdi MPV 2004

Re: xsara picasso cooling fan problem

Post by Subsonicnat »

Hi,Iknow old Thread but the simple answer to my problem,,The Same as above was the Air Con Low on AC Gas. All the gizmo's kicked in.. Cost mealot of trouble to find it though,And Money.lol.
captainkephart
Donor 2023
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 DOHC petrol 2009

Post by captainkephart »

Hi, Just adding some more info for the records.

There is a relay for the cooling fan in a cylindrical recess that is part of the top nearside part of the plastic radiator housing.
It's well hidden away (need to release the radiator or remove the front bumber assembly to get at it).

Main issue is that when you push in a new relay (from the front) the back of the recess can break and so the spade terminals don't connect properly with the relay.

Was caught out by this with a Brit Citroen garage that kept saying they'd fixed it (even when fan still wasn't coming on)!
When I got to the relay I could see the damage they'd done.

Caused huge grief as was then on travels through France in hot weather ... made temporary direct 12v link to fan to at least be able to stop overheating.

Stupid place to put a relay anyway!

Ciao, Captain K
The secret of happiness is freedom - and the secret of freedom is courage ...