Xsara Estate tailgate won't open

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Alvin

Xsara Estate tailgate won't open

Post by Alvin »

I've got a 2001 Y-reg Xsara estate and the tailgate is stuck shut,all the other doors open with the central locking but the rear door does nothing,does anyone have any ideas?.thanks.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Hi,
If you get into the boot from inside the car you should be able to manually open the locking mechanism....I believe there is a small hole in the mechanism somewhere that if you push a thin screwdriver in will release it so you can open the tail gate.

Once you get it open you can investigate why it isn't opening from the central locking.

The motor would be the fist item to look at...make sure the power is getting to it as there could be a break in the wiring.

If the car is the face lift Xsara that doesn't have a key hole on the tail gate & has the push button tailgate release the button that you press could be dodgy.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Hello,the mechanic had a look in the back and can't see a way of getting into the mechanism,any other ideas?,it is a facelift model without a keyhole on the tailgate.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

If it's a facelift estate model like mine then the plip remote control uses the third button to release the tailgate.

Do you hear a solenoid clunk if you use it? If it clunks and still won't open then you've got a mechanical problem and this could be difficult to get past without damaging any of the trim.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Xsara Estate tailgate won't open

Post by Paul-R »

I've just reread your post
Alvin wrote:all the other doors open with the central locking but the rear door does nothing
The central locking buttons don't open the tailgate. With the car locked the supply from the tailgate push button is disconnected and when the car is unlocked then the button's electrical supply is made so the tailgate button should then work

See post immediately above for opening.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I have a similar mechanism on my xantia and sometimes the boot door refuses to open, what i need is a new lock, but this is how I open it.

put the key in the drivers door and lock an unlock the car repeatedly until you hear the boot lock click, then try to open it.

you might get locked out by the computer for about a minute in which you wont be able to lock or unlock the central locking after about a minute it will reset itself and then have another go.

you should get half a dozen lock unlock cycles each time before you get locked out by the computer. you should still be able to unlock the two front doors manually during the lockout time.

its a bit of a game but persevere the mechanism probably needs lubricating with some wd 40 keep trying you should be able to release the lock. if it still wont budge get someone to put their weight on the boot door and repeat the above, this sometimes helps the latch disengage.

regards Nigel. (one dsay I'll buy a new locking mechanism but for now if I cant get into it no-one else can).
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

we got into it using the screwdriver into the mechanism,but everything seems to be working,there is voltage there but it is not activating but when the mechanic took it out and put it across a battery it worked,any ideas what is required?,thanks.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Although you have a voltage there could be insufficient current due to corroded connections or broken/frayed wires where they flex to accomodate the tailgate opening.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

What paul-R was saying is that there are 3 buttons on the plip, the small button on the plip should release the tailgate regardless of whether the car is locked or not, does this work ?
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

wheeler,unfortunately I don't have the plip.
tontonjon
My Cars: Deep Purple Mk2 Cactus manual and Emerald Blue Mk2 Cactus automatic
Used to own 1970 DSuper and 2003 C5

Re: Xsara Estate tailgate won't open

Post by tontonjon »

Several years on from the original post, I've been fixing my father-in-law's Xsara boot lock. The button works, it clunks, but it doesn't open. He has already had this fixed once, the previous time it was frayed wires. But this time is different.

I pulled off the trim, released the latch using a small screwdriver in the little hole and sliding it to one side (the left, I think) then opened the boot, removed the lock and took it apart; the plastic bit that hooks around the release lever was broken. I'm in the process of fixing it and have taken photos. I'll upload them when I have a moment (and I have finished the job!)

Jonathan