Time for Xantia Ignition Switch Change.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Time for Xantia Ignition Switch Change.

Post by rory_perrett »

We’ve been suffering the classic Xantia symptom of the intermittent heater/ blower fan for a while, bit of an issue in the UK lately as the sun has shone on a couple of days. This is down to the ignition switch because the cure has been to jiggle the key a bit and usually back it comes. However the latest little performance of this ritual resulted in the engine cutting out. Time for a new switch me thinks!
Mr Haynes suggests that the lock and switch are an integral item, is this true? Is there a way of just changing the electrical switch and retaining the existing lock (and therefore key)?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Yes the switch can be separated from the lock.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Give GSF a call and insist on getting someone on the phone who knows. I bet they can supply the electrical switch alone.
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

Recently did this on my ZX. Buy a complete ignition switch from GSF. The barrel is held in place by a small grub screw. Insert the key into the barrel, undo the screw and carefully remove the barrel. Repeat the process on your existing switch and transplant the old barrel into the new switch assembly.
Very simple to do but just take your time.
Stephen
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Thanks for the advice chaps. Its the wife's car and, as usual, with her birthday 5 weeks away I haven't a clue what to get her. How do you rate my chances of still being married this time next year if I give her a gift wrapped ignition switch and promise to stay in and fit it rather than taking her out?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You will know the following saturday - at best
At worst you wont stay for late tea on her birthday [:D]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

You could always do what I did a few years ago at Christmas, gave her a saucepan in the morning, pretending it is her only present. I then gave her the real present late afternoon at her parents.
She was so gobsmaked she spent the whole day muttering "He's bought me a saucepan" being too shocked to hit me over the head with it!!
It still makes me chuckle now, go on do it, live dangerously, after all an ignition switch is a lot lighter than a saucepan.