Workshop Manual???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rich
My Cars:

Workshop Manual???

Post by Rich »

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know if there is a workshop manual available for the new shape Xantia? I would like to get hold of one for my Exclusive HDi. I have checked with haynes but it does not look like they do one for it. The reason i ask is because i'm thinking of servicing the car myself and the manual would be useful. What are the chances of me getting hold of a factory manual?? I am considering pestering Citroen UK but i don't fancy my chances much!!!
Thanks for reading, regards, Rich.
Edited by - Rich on 21 Sep 2002 23:36:53
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

rich,
have you tried contacting haynes directly? haynes.co.uk.
or you could try as well russek-manuals.com
good luck with contacting citroen hq
dom
DennysL
My Cars:

Post by DennysL »

Hi Rich
I contacted Haynes a few months ago re an updated manual for the HDI's and was told that they were in the process of updating it and reckon it will be available by the end of the year.As an alternative I've thought of buying a manual for a Peugeot same engine and providing you've got the older Xantia manual you shouldn't need much more.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Rich - When I got my 2.1 TD Xantia in 1998 I asked Haynes if they would be up-dating the Xantia manual, and I was told No. What I had to do was to buy a Xantia book and a Peugeot 406 book, just for the engine chapter. The Peter Russek Xantia manual does cover the 2.1 engine, but not the HDI.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

If you ever got to France there is a series called (I think) Auto Technique. Seems to be in most supermarkets and costs about £13. They are copiously illustrated - much more so and more clearly than Haynes - so with basic French and the photos/diagrams they may be of use. They defineitely have one which covers all diesels including the HDi Exclusive 'cos I nearly bought one this summer. Wouldn't advise a special trip bu if you are going over to stock up on booze/fags/engine oil or all the other million things that are cheaper in France it may be worth a look. Course, if you do, make sure your car isn't confiscated by C&E on the way back!!
PhilW
Phil
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Actually they are called "Revue TecHnique Automobile" and you can buy them on line
http://www.321auto.com/guide_auto/bouti ... niques.asp
Phil
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Thanks everyone!!
Thank you all for the info, there is some seriously good stuff there, i will look into it all. On the subject of a factory manual, i have already sent an e-mail to Citroen UK; i am looking forward to a reply (if they bother!!) If that does not work i will try PSA Peugeot/Citroen in France. I have noticed that Haynes also do a manual for the Xsara which i suspect covers the HDi engine, i may buy that anyway as my brother has a Xsara turbo diesel. I will keep you posted on what happens with the factory manual situation.
Thanks again everyone, regards, Rich.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Rich - Yes! you're right about the Xsara manual. I've just bought one for my daughter. The manual, that is - she bought the car herself!!! The book includes both the XUD and the HDI engines. She gave me a first ride in her car yesterday and I was impressed. I've just returned home from Spain, where the Xsara is a very popular car. You see many more Xsaras than Xantias - and hardly any Pugs.
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hi John,
Cheers for that mate!! I was not too sure about my theory, but you have confirmed it. I think i will get a Xsara manual anyway as my brother has a Xsara West Coast 1.9TD (XUD). I agree with you about the Xsara; i have had a blast in my brothers and it goes like a good one!! In fact, it seems to pull alot harder at low RPM than my Xantia HDi, the turbo sounds good on the Xsara too!! It is interesting what you said about Citroen cars in Spain too, i went to the United States (California) in February of this year and i only saw one Citroen!! I was gutted!! It was a corker though, it was a DS estate!
Regards, Rich. Keep it Citroen guys!!
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hello everyone!
I just thought i would update you on the workshop manual thing. I did contact Citroen here in the UK and in France; they said they are unable to supply the general public with genuine workshop manuals, ".....as that documentation is exclusively dedicated to our dealers....." Good old helpful Citroen!!! Looks like it's haynes then!!
Regards, Rich.
2ndtonunn
My Cars:

Post by 2ndtonunn »

Hi chaps, I have been following this thread with interest, as always our ability to keep vehicles on the road is only impeded by our understanding of information presented to us, so remove the information and who's left holding all the cards!!
Most dealers across all makes now have the information presented to them either by CDrom or electonically on-line, thus no manual actually exists, if they need diagrams or fault flow charts they are printed off locally. There are several independent companies - Haynes being one of them that make a good living attempting to plug this hole, just take a look in any small garage business and I gurantee there will be a Haynes manual somewhere amongst their reference material.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Saw PhilW's reference to the Revue Technique manuals above - I'd heartily recommend the one I've tried.
I bought a 15-16-19 petrol BX manual while in France and it's proved extremely useful so far. The exploded assembly diagrams are extremely informative and the coverage of models over time is less confusing than Haynes' approach of lumping all modifications together at the end of the manual. There are even references to and diagrams for specific 4x4 sub-assemblies, for example.
The interior and instrument panel sections/diagrams are extremely useful if retrofitting items not in the original spec (e.g. temp gauge), or if renovating an interior. It'll also prove to be the next best thing to a Citroen manual when people start officially "restoring" the BX. Soon - please!
There's even a direct equivalent to the Haynes catch-all
"refitting is the reverse of removal"
- something along the lines of
"La repose s'effectue dans le sens inverse de la repose"
(apologies for missing accents).
I'm tempted to get the diesel version for my "daily" BX - they are available in the larger hypermarkets for anyone booze-cruising, but not every hypermarket will stock the BX titles (I suspect the petrol editions are close to deletion from the range). Alternatively, keep your eyes open on www.ebay.fr - there are currently some ID and GS manuals to be seen there.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I know this is abit late but I've been trying to find manuals etc for my P reg Xantia 1.9TD, just found a guy on the internet who seems able to access the official work shop manuals tech briefings etcyou can find it at <http://www.citroen-andre.com, haven't had any details yet but it looks promising
Pete
________
Universal health
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

a citroen xantia 'manual' is actually quite a few manuals,various binders for each section engine,bodywork,electrics etc.there are literally thousands of pages in them.if fact at a guess i'd say there was about 25 haynes manuals worth.