exhaust hole

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaunthesheep
My Cars:

exhaust hole

Post by shaunthesheep »

chaps, & ladys,
i've just came across a hole in my mid section of my ehaust on my xantia, not a problem normally,
but this one is right where the clamp joins onto the back box.
QUESTIONS
the back box has only been fitted for about 6 weeks, would it be ok to reomve the clamp, repair hole then retighted clamp??
still using exsting exhaust paste?, or would i have to buy some more.
to seal hole:- i've got an exhaust bandage & some exhaust hole paste, as i can't fully see how big it is, is there anything else i might need?
dom
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

One thing about steel is undisputable: Of iron oxide (rust) are you cometh and to iron oxide shall you return!
Come on Shaun, do the job properly! (there's never time to do a job properly but there's always time to do it again). How much is your time worth? You know that the rust bug is going to eat up the rest of the pipe soon, why not replace it and be done with it?
//NiSk
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Hey,
I had the same thing happen to my Xm. I was in for the annual dutch MOT and the garage said that the only way to fix my exhaust was to replace the whole thing (500 Euros). I drove the car off, got two sections (the middle and the first damper). On sunday morning, I jacked the car up and of course it wasn't the first and the middle I needed but the middle and third. It being sunday didn't help, everything was closed. I ended up replacing the middle damper and welding up the third. (the piece of pipe between the damper and the clamping bit had rusted away, but the rest looked good) I took a piece of steel plate, cut it in the right size and hammered it in. Welded the whole thing shut and off I was...
Don't bother trying the exhaust bandage, it will fall off within 1000 km. But if you cn weld it go ahead, worked fine for me.
Have fun,
Niek (hate exhaust pipes, you can never get them in quite right and they're too heavy to handle laying on your back underneath the car)
spanners

Post by spanners »

replace the exhaust if exhaust is one piece including cat dont fret most exhaust companys sell a repair section to slip over original pipe.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

boo, haha
i might replace the section thats knacked in the next couple of weeks,
as on closer inspection it's a 'v' shaped hole going towards the the joint.
thank god it's only the mid section that knacked not the cat (phew)
thanks for your help
dom
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. (Incidentally, you don't say which model you have - I think the 2.0 16v is different). Anyway, the pipe repair kits turned out to be rather more expensive than expected - not that much cheaper than a full new pipe with cat from Andyspares in fact - so my garage welded it up for me. Charged me £25, which was OK by me as I don't have any welding gear of my own.
Mike
Mike
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

mike,
it's 1.6l, lx, 'l' reg
dom
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

all,
have considered using a flexable exhaust to cover hole, with clamp at each end, as can't afford to replace mid section at the moment.
does anyone know if it will pass an mot with this fitted??
dom
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

If it doesn't leak and can't fall off then they can't fail it!
Jamie