Electric Cars:what's available?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Electric Cars:what's available?

Post by myglaren »

Not a good experience with an electric van, although I do think that he doesn't help himself much, easy enough to find something suitable as a screen scraper and chucking some tepid water over it is easy enough; plus whinging at -2℃! It is Britain, not Dubai.

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I've watched many of Jordan's videos he's a very good "spark", and shoved a couple up on here of his on home charger installations.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Richard head would be a good name for him, I bet he's never read the handbook. #-o ................but he is a VW owner. :)
Cold morning with my app I can run the warm up for fifteen minutes before I need to step out of my door and with the charger still plugged in.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

My friend in Elstree has the best de icing and warming routine I've ever known. She sends her grandaughter out with the key and the equipment, claims its her job so she can be taken to school!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I saw that video a couple of days ago. I think I'd sum it up by saying he's got more money than sense :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I saw it too. Can't see how he made such a hash of the heating / demisting. But... It apparently cost over £50k, has a massive range of 65miles, and will only do 60 mph. You'd have to be unhinged to buy one!!?!!
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It looks as though it wasn't properly researched and he was complacent and expecting it to be just like his Tesla.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 20:58 It looks as though it wasn't properly researched and he was complacent and expecting it to be just like his Tesla.
He should have given Parkers a quick scan. Decent coverage of its features, and not a great review esp for the range.
He must have racked up the £50,000 with the logo-ing up and extras. Plenty hardly used versions of the van for around £25K.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Regarding the extras, it was certainly well kitted out.

I have watched some of his 'electrician' videos and like them, which is probably why this clip popped up.
NewcastleFalcon

CITROËN UK ANNOUNCES REVISED NEW Ë-C4 ELECTRIC LINE-UP FOR 2022

Citroën UK introduces new, more affordable ‘Sense’ and ‘Shine Edition’ versions of New ë-C4 Electric in response to increasing customer demand for more accessible routes into EV ownership.

Best-selling ‘Shine Plus’ remains in place at the top of New ë-C4 Electric range.

Revised line-up follows previous efficiency improvements since October 2021 production that deliver further optimisation of both heat pump and transmission settings.

New ë-C4 range now starts from just £28,495 MRRP OTR after Plug-in Car Grant (PiCG).
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 18:58 Richard head would be a good name for him, I bet he's never read the handbook. #-o ................but he is a VW owner. :)
Cold morning with my app I can run the warm up for fifteen minutes before I need to step out of my door and with the charger still plugged in.
Ah, so you're acquainted with the joys of preheating an EV now ? Welcome to the club... :)

I have the timer set on the Leaf to preheat before work on weekdays while it's still plugged in and it works great. (I also have the option to manually start it from the phone app)

It's smart too in that it adjusts the length of time and power dependent on how much heating it has to do - it runs for 30 minutes minimum but in milder weather the power level is quite low, maybe 1kW. In below freezing conditions it automatically runs at a higher power level (up to 3kW) and/or increases the run time to ensure that no matter how cold it starts from it is defrosted by departure time.

I haven't bought a can of de-icer for a couple of years now as I just don't need it. Yes, if there's snow I still need to swipe the bulk of the snow off but it deals with ice or a thin layer of snow with ease. Ice is usually melted completely in about 5-10 minutes with no action on my part, I just go out to a warm defrosted car and drive away with no issues of fogging even in the worst of conditions.

While the Leaf doesn't have the best or most efficient heater among EV's, it's still pretty good and is still a huge step up on the dreadful and power hungry heater in the Ion - we're never cold in the winter in the Leaf as we often were in the Ion when we were trying to keep the heater use to a minimum to eek out a bit more range. The fact that it's a well insulated, draught free car helps a lot - it really does feel cosy in freezing weather.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A little bit of sad news, the Bollinger B1 & B2 BEV's have been "indefinitely postponed" only a year before delivery dates as the company switches tack to produce "commercial vehicles". They are refunding all the deposits made by potential owners.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/busi ... -ice-focus

https://bollingermotors.com/

They were a small company that started development in 2015 long before any of the current crop like Rivian, but it seems that it's just taken them too long with the resources they're working with (small team, self funded etc) and likely with both Rivian and the Tesla Cybertruck being strong competitors that have eclipsed and undercut them even though technically they compete in a slightly different vehicle class. From what the article says they still hadn't been able to find a manufacturing partner for mass production either. :?

Although it looks boxy and ugly, it really was the BEV spiritual successor to the original Landrover Defender in terms of use case and what they were aiming for - the owner of the company started off designing a vehicle he would want to use on his own farm. There were some interesting innovations in it like the double acting hydropneumatic suspension system with massive ground clearance adjustment and articulation, a high/low range gearbox for rock climbing, portal gearboxes in the wheel hubs driven by half shafts for very high ground clearance, (no conventional low hanging solid axle differential) the ability to pass long loads like wood or poles right through from the back to the front even sticking out the front etc...

While they say postponed I suspect that the B1 & B2 as presented are dead in the water and will never be made, however the motors, gearboxes, electronics etc may well go on to be used in their "commercial vehicles", and that's what their statement implies.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

6 minutes of the Sono Sion story, fairly recent, to be made in Sweden in an old SAAB factory, with an initial 14,000 run aiming for 2023. The fully charged 20 minutes is a bit too much.

More of a contribution to range, although with most people doing really quite low weekly mileages (under 125 in the UK), the manufacturers reckon that 70 miles/week in a "normal week" and 150 miles/week in favourable condition week can be generated by solar alone.

https://sonomotors.com/en/sion/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think they have underestimated the mileage. Most people in Sweden would cover far more miles than that. Sweden is a bigger country than most assume and there are huge gaps between communities, especially in the northern half. Most families there have second and third homes that are quite distant from their main homes and they typically drive there every weekend in better weather.

They may be about right for the UK but I think even that is a low estimate. My car typically does about sixty miles a week most weeks; work, home,work, home, work, home for ten days then shops and then I will have it for a few days when it can stand still or do 3-400 miles.
Mine gets very low usage compared to almost everyone else that I know and even then most work quite close to home, usually within twenty miles but they also use them for far more than work.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 10:45 I think they have underestimated the mileage. Most people in Sweden would cover far more miles than that. Sweden is a bigger country than most assume and there are huge gaps between communities, especially in the northern half. Most families there have second and third homes that are quite distant from their main homes and they typically drive there every weekend in better weather.

They may be about right for the UK but I think even that is a low estimate. My car typically does about sixty miles a week most weeks; work, home,work, home, work, home for ten days then shops and then I will have it for a few days when it can stand still or do 3-400 miles.
Mine gets very low usage compared to almost everyone else that I know and even then most work quite close to home, usually within twenty miles but they also use them for far more than work.
The car has a battery too Steve, they quote on the website up to 190 miles range. Its being made in Sweden but the initial 14,000 planned are all reservations where deposits have been received from the subscribers. I guess the opportunity arose to ultilise the SAAB factory, the development work and HQ are in Germany so not a car designed for the Swedish electric car buying public in particular.

The average mileage from the UK was taken from 2018, the last proper full "normal" year for the stats at the time. Even in the UK the solar will make some off-grid contribution to running costs.

link to Data on vehicle mileage and occupancy since 2002, produced by Department for Transport. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ts0901.ods
link to the Sono website https://sonomotors.com/en/sion/

Hasn't happened yet, and whether it makes it will depend on investors prepared to back the scaling up of production.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey