Peugeot 207 rear end clunk - what to check?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

randomandy
Donor 2021

Peugeot 207 rear end clunk - what to check?

Post by randomandy »

My 2007 Peugeot 207 has a clunk / knocking noise that seems to be most prevalent when the car goes through a pot hole or over a large bump in the road. Trying to get everything sorted prior to MOT next week. My current list of things to take a look at to see if they are the cause of the problem are:
  • Broken spring
  • Shock absorber
  • Worn bushes
Anything else I need to look at?

-Andy.
Dormouse
Donor 2021

Re: Peugeot 207 rear end clunk - what to check?

Post by Dormouse »

It might be worth checking the exhaust and it's hangers. Does the noise appear to be from any particular area? Front, rear, underneath?
randomandy
Donor 2021

Post by randomandy »

I've given the exhaust a good wiggle from underneath and it seems pretty solid. From what I can tell, whilst driving, the noise seems to come from underneath at the rear.

My plan is to get it up on axle stands over the weekend and have a good poke and prod around. Just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

-Andy.
Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

Try lifting the car a few inches under each rear spring pan/shocker mount and "bounce" the rear. See if that makes the noise. It just replicates the twist in the car as you hit bumps. After that it is inspection and a pry bar. A broken spring should be easy to see as would worn shocker bushes. Worn arm bushes are more difficult to spot but might show up as you jack each wheel up for the bounce test. Make sure not to work under an unsupported car and you should be able to spot obvious things.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

If its front strut area id check to see if the front leg hasnt punch a hloe through the top wing housing
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

Huskyxantia wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 09:02
If its front strut area id check to see if the front leg hasnt punch a hole through the top wing housing
Also lower ball joints and all the pinch blotls that hold them in place id even check the brake caliper, droplinks top tie rod even the cv joints on the driveshafts.
Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

If you are going to use axle stands don't support the rear suspension. Support the body/chassis somewhere solid and secure. This will allow you to lever the suspension arms and/or use a jack to try for movement in the rear arms/mounts.
loafin_about
Donor 2021

Post by loafin_about »

On my 207 the Spare wheel inside the well makes a noise I was sure was suspension related.