DS5 Mirrors Not Opening.

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BigDelboy
My Cars: Citroen DS5

DS5 Mirrors Not Opening.

Post by BigDelboy »

Hello there

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I have a DS5 and last year a Merc smashed my driver side wing mirror into tiny pieces whilst taking up both lanes on a country road (I will not go any further with that). I ordered a replacement but not an authorised one from Citroen, and installed it myself. All was well until this winter. The wing mirror stopped opening when unlocking the car and would not open using the driver button either. So it was manually opened each time. A few weeks after that the passenger side mirror also started to do this eventually leaving me to manually open both at the start of each journey. I took it to the Citroen dealer and they took off my driver side mirror and the passenger side started to work again. The company I purchased the new mirror from said this could happen if the mirror was faulty and it could mess up some other systems. I have taken it off(the dealer put it back on and in hindsight I should have told them to leave it off) and am sending back to the company I purchased it from for investigation. But the passenger side mirror is still not working correctly after the removal of the driver side one. It auto closes but no attempt to open. I am curious if the mirrors have to be reset or something like that as I will need passenger side mirror too? Will disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it reset anything vital for me?

Thanks for reading. Apologies if I have left anything vital out.

Derek.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS5 Mirrors Not Opening.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Derek. This will be because both the mirrors and associated features are controlled from the driver's side control unit and use multiplexed wiring - so if you have the incorrect mirror or an incompatible mirror or it is faulty, it can indeed cause electrical issues with the other side.

The passenger mirror may not work whilst the driver's side mirror is unconnected.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
BigDelboy
My Cars: Citroen DS5

Post by BigDelboy »

Hi Marc

Thank you for the quick reply and very helpful answer. I then must wait for the unit to come back if found faulty and fixed to see what happens. Really grateful for your advice..

D:)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Although the wiring for the operation of the motor controls for the adjustment and foldback motors is a normal wire, the fob requests for foldback / unfolding via the fob are done via the switch control under the steering wheel and the BSI which is via one of the CAN networks.

I do know that if the wing mirrors are manually moved, this will disengage the electric operation as the mechanical position is out of synch with the electronic position. So it takes several fold / unfold operations to syhchronise them again.

Just thought I'd add that as it may be relevant if this has happened during fitting.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc