Fault with navigation

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

KimHaugli
My Cars: 2012 DS5 2.0HDI
2008 C5 1.6HDI
1993 Skyline R33

Fault with navigation

Post by KimHaugli »

Hi! I have a 2012 DS5 but I guess this problem is for the other Citroens with navi aswell.

My navigation started acting weird yesterday after a quick pit stop in my 4000km holiday drive. When I started the car it loaded for a while and then came up with a "Please insert navigation cd". I removed the warning and saw that the road name didn't show up on the bottom of the screen and that it didn't show me the correct road I was on (maybe 50m wrong floating away slowly).
Map froze or came up with "Loading database" when I tried to navigate to somewhere.
I downloaded new maps but that didn't work.

Is this the SD card inside going bad and needs replacing? And if so will the media unit be rendered useless if I replace the SD card without going to the dealer? Does the SD card only contain the map data or does it also contain the firmware?

I'm on version 2.86.B

Thanks, Kim
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 22 Jul 2021, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the RT6 Telematics Forum
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Fault with navigation

Post by Paul-R »

I had this problem with the eMyWay/RT6 system in my X7 a few years ago. It turned out to be corrupted map data from when I had updated the maps previously. It took me a while to work this out and I was just about reinstall the same maps (all of them as I didn't know which particular map was corrupted) when a new update was released and I installed that instead. When the final map was installed nothing seemed to have changed but, when starting the engine the next day, the screen came up and then did a reboot and suddenly the maps were ok.

I never did find out whether installing the same maps again would have solved the problem so that may not work and you'll have to wait until the next release becomes available.

Since then I have been very careful NOT to switch the engine off during a map update. I try to time the length of my journey to the expected time that a map is going to take. On the odd occasion I've had to switch off during the course of an update then I make sure that I cancel the process using the cancel button on the screen.

What was the last version of maps that you updated to?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
KimHaugli
2008 C5 1.6HDI
1993 Skyline R33

Post by KimHaugli »

Paul-R wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 09:57 I had this problem with the eMyWay/RT6 system in my X7 a few years ago....

What was the last version of maps that you updated to?
Thanks for your response. I only tried to update Scandinavia map yesterday, not every map that comes up in the list. I could try to update every map and see if that makes a difference. Only downside is that it would take hours.. 😅

All maps were updated last year, I updated Scandinavia to 2021.1 yesterday.

Thanks, Kim
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you can't fix it by reinstalling your maps, then you probably need a new Micro SD card. It is coming on for 10 years old, so the card is probably near end of life and you'll start to get corruption. If it is, I wouldn't attempt to reinstall your actual firmware - as if the card is faulty, then this will likely render the system unusable, but do try a map reinstallation again as this data is stored on a separate partition.

Regardless, I would suggest your card needs replacing though.

I put together a guide at the top of this Forum:

viewtopic.php?t=63227
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
KimHaugli
2008 C5 1.6HDI
1993 Skyline R33

Post by KimHaugli »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 10:20 If you can't fix it by reinstalling your maps, then you probably need a new Micro SD card. It is coming on for 10 years old, so the card is probably near end of life and you'll start to get corruption. If it is, I wouldn't attempt to reinstall your actual firmware - as if the card is faulty, then this will likely render the system unusable, but do try a map reinstallation again as this data is stored on a separate partition.

Regardless, I would suggest your card needs replacing though.

I put together a guide at the top of this Forum:

viewtopic.php?t=63227
Hi! Just talked to two dealers here and they told me that the firmware/software of the unit is not saved on the SD card, only the map data. So replacing the SD card will only remove the maps.

Can you also confirm this, as I don't have the firmware only the map data, and only a USB stick not a cd.

Thanks, Kim
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's partially correct - but there are settings installed by the firmware update on the SD card. The SD card contains 3 partitions - not just the map data, but the user settings and all the car configuration options.

I have been thinking about updating the procedure for a while - so may tackle this as soon as I have some time. This would involve keeping the user configuration and settings from the original card and then copying it back to reduce the risk of losing car options and configuration.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
KimHaugli
2008 C5 1.6HDI
1993 Skyline R33

Post by KimHaugli »

Ok thank you! I will wait until I get back home before I do anything to the car then, where I have my service center close by 😊
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

If you only updated Scandinavia then your first act should be to reinstall Scandinavia. It might be an idea to download a fresh copy of the maps if possible.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

KimHaugli
2008 C5 1.6HDI
1993 Skyline R33

Post by KimHaugli »

Paul-R wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 14:57 If you only updated Scandinavia then your first act should be to reinstall Scandinavia. It might be an idea to download a fresh copy of the maps if possible.
I updated only Scandinavia from 2019/2020 to 2020/2021. All the other maps are 2019/2020.
Is there a way to completely reinstall Scandinavia or all maps? When I was out driving earlier I could see that some roads were missing and some roads didn't make any sense.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

KimHaugli wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 15:36When I was out driving earlier I could see that some roads were missing and some roads didn't make any sense.
That's the corruption in view.

To update, just go through the process again and choose Scandinavia again. Even though it's nominally still the same it should go through the process.

KimHaugli
2008 C5 1.6HDI
1993 Skyline R33

Post by KimHaugli »

Paul-R wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 17:06
KimHaugli wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 15:36When I was out driving earlier I could see that some roads were missing and some roads didn't make any sense.
That's the corruption in view.

To update, just go through the process again and choose Scandinavia again. Even though it's nominally still the same it should go through the process.
Ok, so what you mean if I understood correctly is that if I go to update Scandinavia again with the same 2020/2021 version I used, it should maybe completely overwrite the first 20/21 update I did?

But what if the corruption is in one of the other map packs aswell? I guess the car checks all packs on startup and not only the one used in the specific area the car is in?
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Been out of wifi access for a week, sorry.
KimHaugli wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 22:15Ok, so what you mean if I understood correctly is that if I go to update Scandinavia again with the same 2020/2021 version I used, it should maybe completely overwrite the first 20/21 update I did?
That's exactly what I mean. I was going to this on my X7 but a new update came out and I used that instead. It's possible you'll have to wait for the next update to be released. Shouldn't be too long now.
KimHaugli wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 22:15But what if the corruption is in one of the other map packs aswell? I guess the car checks all packs on startup and not only the one used in the specific area the car is in?
Not quite sure what you mean. I thought you only updated the Scandinavian maps in which case if any of the other maps in the full update pack were corrupted it wouldn't matter. Or if you're saying that one of the maps in your car that you didn't update has gone faulty I can't see how that would happen unless the micro SD card itself has started to fail. There's a separate thread about replacing the SD card with a new one if that's the case.

I'd still try re-updating the Scndinavian maps first as it's zero cost.