Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

There are a few negatives towards a rapid disruption, currently battery production capacity, and the "chip" shortage together with an informal price fixing for the various segments of electric vehicles, which hasn't been disrupted by any of the legacy manufacturers stepping out of line or indeed by the likes of TESLA. The closest they will come is if Renault allow the Dacia Spring loose and don't throttle production to avoid damage to their own sales of the Twingo. "A" segment electric vehicles kick off at £20,000 ish to get them out of the showroom and the overpricing follows that up the scale. When all the manufacturers, start making enough of them the windscreen sticker price of EV and ICE will come together, By 2030 even if auto manufacturers still find markets for ICE around the world, in general the majority of their production will be Electric Vehicles.

Even if the market for new cars in 2030 is half of what it is in 2021, it will be dominated by EV's whether in personal use/shared use/subscription/hire/city mobility applications etc.

One thing is for sure EV's are on the ladders, while ICE is sliding down the snakes.

Best deal in electric cars is of course a second hand Leaf :-D Cheaper than a £100 Micra to finance and run over 4 years according to our Northumberland correspondent still enjoying free "fuel" as NCC haven't sorted out the adaptions to the rapid chargers to accept payment yet :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Agree. And what is going to happen to the ICE cars that have already been produced. Are they going to be thrown in a drawer like yesterday's phone? I don't think so! Personal transport is still going to be in use if, for no other reason, they are available and people need to travel. So, either everyone will be able to work miraculously from home or some all encompassing SAFE and SECURE travel system is put in place to get nurses to hospitals, vets to farms and carers to home visits seamlessly. And that is only a tiny fraction of the essential workers society needs in place. I know we have a history for being a throw away society but to throw away all ICE vehicles at the Altar of Tomorrow's New Thing is insane. When will we just manage what we have responsibly? And there is no point if all we are going to do is send it to the Third World and turn a blind eye.
NewcastleFalcon

Just considering the UK, the rules as set out now, don't involve taking existing ICE cars off the road through either incentivised or mandatory scrappage schemes.

Could change of course with a sweep of the legislative pen, but if it doesn't, even at 2030 the make up of the UK fleet will be of the order of 80% ICE and 20% Electric. From that point on the ICE slice will get eaten into quite rapidly, as new UK ICE Sales will lets assume be zero .

Personal transport will not disappear with electrification, and if Automakers cant make an electric car in volume production for a serious factor cheaper than they currently make an ICE car by 2030, they really aren't trying and pulling the wool over the car-buying (... or leasing/subscription/hiring/sharing...) public's eyes and ripping them off.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The thing to watch will be how the new ICE ban and mandatory BEVs affect the man (not) on the Clapham Omnibus. If the cost burden is too high and the greater general public have a legitimate problem with affording them , and more importantly it threatens to cost votes, then you can expect policy 'adjustments' to the BEV rollout.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

One from the "how do they afford that" stable of electric cars, another Mercedes EQC 400 4-matic. In quite a dull colour...I'll have to look it up.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I saw a Zoe today in BT Openreach livery - 'net says they had 11 before middle of last year and they were expanding with Vauxhall vehicles, but this was a newish one with a green tag on the reg.
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Can't take any points from this, but did have difficulty spotting an exhaust pipe so thought it could be a 100% Landrover offering I hadn't heard of but no...its a Plug in Hybrid, and WLTP tells us it will do 34 Miles on Electric only, so we know for a fact it won't (unless driven at 19mph around a perfectly flat track with no wind.)
The Specs
The Specs
Spot the exhaust pipe (if you can)
Spot the exhaust pipe (if you can)
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A white Tesla 3 and a white Leaf, both 70 reg.
If one hadn't been parked in front of me and the other behind I would most likely have missed them.
As I probably missed others while driving, I forget to look other than registering the presence of other cars, what they may be passes me by.
NewcastleFalcon

Red Tesla Model S usual White Model 3's, 2 Audi e-trons, Jaguar I pace in Red, VW ID3 anonymous grey/grey-ey blue,
6 year old Electrician's Nissan ENV 200 Van (you know what I mean!) which the owner had never paid a penny for in charging up....full use being made of the Northumberland free chargers. Did tell me that within the next couple of weeks the 35p/kWh charge was on its way :-D Usual crop of Leafs, a white classic makes the "infrastructure thread".
French Electric Car of the Day Zoe Ze40
French Electric Car of the Day Zoe Ze40
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

2 Hyundai Kona, 1 Hydunai IoniQ, Audi E-tron, Renault Zoe, usual Tesla Model 3's and Leafs. Electric car of the day I award to a moderately annoying Hyundai IoniQ (charging up to 100% on a public charger, but only had to wait 15 mins for it to finish.)

Most distinguishing feature.....
good old fashioned insect carnage
good old fashioned insect carnage
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I saw a Vauxhall Mokka-E yesterday - but only because it had a green flash on the plate, and I only knew what it was because it was emblazoned down the side!! A demonstrator? It was on Guidlford plates so probably - unless it was a hire car. Grille is wiiiiiide!!

(looked wider in the flesh than this makes it out to be)
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

I reckon that's the first spot recorded on the thread Richard for a Vauxhall e-mokka. :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Ironiq
Ironiq
This really was 'point & Shoot' as I couldn't see the phone screen, pure guesswork.
NewcastleFalcon

quite a crop today on BB Micra's occasional run out. 4 Zoes..are Renault trying a bit harder, over 6 Teslas, Jaguar i-pace, and the most colourful of the lot a Hyundai Kona Electric in Blue
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

On charge at my local Tesco this week two Jags, one white the other bright red.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.