Clio 182 Satnav system

This section is for information and posts relating to Audio Head Units, and Navigation Systems

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

louisw
My Cars: Own a clio 182

Clio 182 Satnav system

Post by louisw »

Hi all,

I am currently own a 2004 Renault clio 182 that came with the factory fitted sat nav. I have recently fitted pole position seats to the car so needed to remove the GPS unit from underneath the seat, however this has now left me without any radio signal.
There was a cable than ran from the back of the radio into this box, then another that came from the aerial into the box.

I have since purchased a radio cable that came from the standard clio 172/182 and run it directly from the aerial to the radio, however I still have no FM signal. The aerial itself is different to the standard ones, so im just wondering whether its possible to get any FM signal from this directly?

Appreciate any help!

Ta
Louis
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Clio 182 Satnav system

Post by GiveMeABreak »

HI

I don't have any specific Renault info I'm afraid, I can only help with PSA systems, but if your Clio had a telematics / GPS system, then they often combined the various aerials FM, FM2, AM , GSM / GPS into a one or more modules. These may or may not be amplified either from the Head Unit or from a separate unit near the aerial mounting. Maybe a specific Renault forum will have a diagram or more info on your Head Unit and the connections so you can see what's what.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
louisw

Post by louisw »

These right here are the connections from the aerial. This is after I removed the existing aerial cables and ran the original clio cable through.
20200625_135434.jpg
louisw

Post by louisw »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 13:01 HI

I don't have any specific Renault info I'm afraid, I can only help with PSA systems, but if your Clio had a telematics / GPS system, then they often combined the various aerials FM, FM2, AM , GSM / GPS into a one or more modules. These may or may not be amplified either from the Head Unit or from a separate unit near the aerial mounting. Maybe a specific Renault forum will have a diagram or more info on your Head Unit and the connections so you can see what's what.
Thanks for the reply.

So for the aftermarket satnav in the 182 there's the aerial on the roof that has 3 connections as below.
1585598148063.png

This is the standard aerial that comes on the clio without the satnav unit
1585598538885.png
In the boot there is the a GPS unit with the CD, then under the drivers seat is another GPS telematics unit, then you have the screen that's in the dashboard itself. The only unit that the radio aerial passes through is the one under the drivers seat, which I have since removed.

Is it likely I will have to swap out the aerial base to a standard clio unit? Seems strange that the GPS one wouldn't have the capability of FM.
louisw

Post by louisw »

I also run an aftermarket head unit, but I had no issues before removing the box from under the drivers seat. I'll take a photo of this later when i get home from work
louisw

Post by louisw »

This is the same unit that I removed from under the seat. Can see a radio cable in, and radio cable out on the back.
1299_renault_espace_2003-09,_mk4,_gps,_navigation_system_control_unit,_ecu,_8200339743,_8200_339_743 (1).jpg
2renault_espace_2003-09,_mk4,_gps,_navigation_system_control_unit,_ecu,_8200339743,_8200_339_743.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I really depends on what you have factory fitted and what has been installed as aftermarket.

It can get a bit complicated depending on what kit you have.

Example:

I have an NG4 telematics system with bluetooth phone calling. This has the following connections to the back of the head unit:

FM1 & AM (Combined)
FM2
GPS

But my vehicle also has a services module for emergency GPS location and emergency services calling when the airbags are triggered - so this unit links to my Head unit, and has a separate GSM aerial connected to the services module and a SIM card. I can also switch to the built in car phone (Services Module) if I wish and use that for calling and receiving calls if I don't want to use the Bluetooth phone.

So it can get a bit involved depending on what you have.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

louisw wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 13:33 This is the same unit that I removed from under the seat. Can see a radio cable in, and radio cable out on the back.
That will be GPS antenna at least - but can't advise as to the other connection. If you have the part number printed on the label on the unit, try googling that part number for the pinouts / connections.

Marc
louisw

Post by louisw »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 13:38 I really depends on what you have factory fitted and what has been installed as aftermarket.

It can get a bit complicated depending on what kit you have.

Example:

I have an NG4 telematics system with bluetooth phone calling. This has the following connections to the back of the head unit:

FM1 & AM (Combined)
FM2
GPS

But my vehicle also has a services module for emergency GPS location and emergency services calling when the airbags are triggered - so this unit links to my Head unit, and has a separate GSM aerial connected to the services module and a SIM card. I can also switch to the built in car phone (Services Module) if I wish and use that for calling and receiving calls if I don't want to use the Bluetooth phone.

So it can get a bit involved depending on what you have.
Just to make it a bit clearer, the satnav is a factory fitted option. Only 52 were ever actually fitted to the Clio 182 which makes finding absolutely anything on them very difficult.
The only 'aftermarket' part is the headunit, however removing the OEM unit had no impact on the satnav functionality. It still worked as normal, just the radio channels were no longer displayed on the screen of the satnav unit in the dashboard.
louisw

Post by louisw »

After some searching I have managed to find the below:
pinout1.JPG
pinout2.JPG
Going off the grey connector pinouts there is an aerial amplifier within the GPS unit under the seat. D and E are the original aerial connections in/out so presume it's amplified through the box.

Is there a way to amplify the aerial signal some other way? I have one of those 'booster' units but unsure how well they work.
louisw

Post by louisw »

Is it as simple as me having these wired incorrectly? Is #2 the FM aerial? The only issue being it wouldn't be a straight connection to the aerial cable.
Picture1.png
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The only way you'll know is to trace #2 back to where it originates.

This system is foreign to me I'm afraid Louis - what does a GPS system need with all that exterior temperature and radio malarky? - unless this is the Head Unit itself and there is no other head unit in the dash??

The aerial(s) should feed back to the main Head Unit - assuming that is in the dash somewhere - but it should be easy enough to get out and see what is what.

Marc
Celms
New User
My Cars: CLIO 182
CLIO 197

Post by Celms »

Hello Guys!

Finally found at least one topic about Clio II factory SAT NAV system (as far as I know, software is the same as for BMW same year). I have a CLIO 182 with this system. Maybe one of those 52 what mentioned guys above. Bought it on 2010 in Poland but it is the French car. Interesting is that originally it came without SAT/NAV when I was checking on ICM system (dealership information about car history by VIN). But there was marked as fitted later which is quite impressive as I assume it cost a fortune. But who cares. I have it :)

So after changing the CD/RADIO unit to aftermarket (some Pioneer with CD and USB and no behind steering wheel buttons connected) I noticed that SAT/NAV system started to switch off and then switch on back and it goes on circle. Basically when car is on, SAT/NAV dashboard switch on by doing all the standard steps. After around 30 sec. it just switches off. Then it switches on again and it goes the same around like restarting all the time. While it is on I tried to make some setting changes for example changing the clock but nothing is possible to save. As soon as it goes off and back on it starting on some earlier default settings. It find the maps from CD on boot. It shows historically saved addresses (I managed quickly go through to check it in 30 sec. while it is on).
I have Radio code but it does not helps. When typing the radio code nothing happens. I am out of clue where to look. It is possible that changing the Radio/CD unit is not a case and there is just coincidence and problem could be somewhere else.
In our local dealership (in Latvia) all the workers in that field (electrics) are already changed by 2 times and everyone is looking on me like on dinosaur and the is no help from them.

Maybe some of you know where to start looking as this SAT/NAV system is quite handy when driving fast through gravel roads in summer/winter and showing approx. junctions/corners... a bit of help as pacenotes or route map in Rally racing :))
Maybe some of you have access to full SAT/NAV electric scheme so I could bring it to some good electric guy could start from there.

And thank you in advance for replays.