Citroen C5 X7 - RD4 to RD45 upgrade log

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

citroC5
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0hdi
2008 Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6Hdi (gone)
1994 Citroen AX 1.1i Image (belongs to my better ½)
1991 Citroen BX 16 TZS (gone)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Citroen C5 X7 - RD4 to RD45 upgrade log

Post by citroC5 »

Hello, fellow forum members,

After reading up on upgrading from an RD4 to RD45 unit here on this very forum, I decided to go for it and ordered an RD45 radio, display and wiring from Aliexpress. The wiring and display arrived yesterday, but not the radio since it's probably held up in customs and I'll have to cough up import duty on that but I digress! I have to thank this great thread (viewtopic.php?t=58078&hilit=rd45) which I read to make sure this would have a chance of actually working. Thanks to everyone there who contributed and provided the know-how and know-why regarding this subject.

Below the aforementioned items.

I plan to do a photographic log of this endeavour right here on this thread, and I've searched in the Audio & Telematics -> RD4 / RD45 and I don't believe I'm redoing something that's already been done. If I am and it's a problem, please let me know. If all goes well, hopefully I'll be giving something back to this lovely forum that has helped me out on various occasions.
Last edited by citroC5 on 29 Jun 2020, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 X7 - RD4 to RD45 upgrade log

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great, it will be good to have some additional input. :)
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
citroC5
(Donor 2022)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Post by citroC5 »

Ok, so this morning I had a look inside the cabin in order to plan a couple of things, namely where all the peripheral stuff will go. I've seen on the forum that the microphone is housed in the area where the dome/map-reading light cluster is, so I tried to remove it but no dice. I really have to care of it because it seems to have become the last resting place of a dead fly.

I removed both the radio and that clever little shelf-cubbyhole thingy beneath it, and I had lightbulb moment. There are two holes at the rear of the shelf beneath the rubber mat, and they're perfect to slot the USB plug and the AUX 3.5mm jack through.

I'll have to either cut a small, wire-diameter-size hole in the mat, source or fabricate a replacement mat. I'm inclined to do this last one because I don't want to ruin the original part and I bet finding even a used one must be tough, even with the help available on this forum (there's a thread that's shown it's part number 7591 GR Nero Mistral. Thanks AGAIN, Marc!).

To finish this post off, I thought it would be informative to mention that I already have a hands-free system installed in the car. It's an aftermarket Xcarlink kit and actually works rather well, but I find some small things annoying. If I'm on the phone and I unlock the car, it immediately transfers the call to the radio. I have a hard time toggling between phones I've previously paired, and this version of the kit doesn't read mp3's off a USB stick, and the missus is always grumbling because of this. Plus, it hangs up calls when you turn the car off and answers calls if you turn the radio on.

I've had these kits in both previous cars I've owned, and installation was always a pig because removing the head unit meant getting out the centre console, AC controls and all. I chalked this up to great build quality (one car was a Volvo and the other a Mazda) and that's why these things were so firmly bolted together and thus, hard to remove. Yet the C5 was the easiest to install by miles and it's the car with the least trim rattle at this age. Am I the only one who thinks this is not just a well-built Citroen but a well-built car that's easily as good as the crap churned out by brands that motoring journalists suck up to? I digress.

I loved the C5's centre console design because it allowed to put the kit's microphone in a place that was hassle-free to install and that will leave no marks once it's gone:

Either way, I'm going to sell the old kit once my new RD45's installed, so hopefully, when everything is factored in, it will be a cheap upgrade.

I apologise for such a long post and not having actually done anything yet. I might try to thread the mic wire throught the lining to the A-pillar while I haven't got my radio yet. Thanks if you've made it this far.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No apologies needed - nowhere near as long as 'War & Peace' and it's always nice to get some feedback and pics from members.

Remember you may need to configure the new screen / head unit using Diagbox. If you need a hand with the parameters, pop your VIN up so I know what options you have fitted at the factory as this will indicate what, if anything needs configuring.

Marc
citroC5
(Donor 2022)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Post by citroC5 »

Thanks again, Marc!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Fit the USB socket somewhere that is unobtrusive, it will probably live with a USB stick of MP3 tracks permanently plugged-in.

I found that with both the USB and Aux inputs configured, that scrolling through the inputs (when starting the car) takes too many presses (3) to select bluetooth streaming, so I disabled the Aux input, and I find it more convenient, so maybe you don't need to fit the Aux socket.

If you did not buy an RD45 microphone cable, you will also need to find the blue connector for the optional factory hands-free (NOMAD) unit, to extend the microphone wires to the quadlock connector on the RD45.
citroC5
(Donor 2022)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Post by citroC5 »

xantia_v6 wrote: 31 May 2020, 20:30 Fit the USB socket somewhere that is unobtrusive, it will probably live with a USB stick of MP3 tracks permanently plugged-in.

I found that with both the USB and Aux inputs configured, that scrolling through the inputs (when starting the car) takes too many presses (3) to select bluetooth streaming, so I disabled the Aux input, and I find it more convenient, so maybe you don't need to fit the Aux socket.

If you did not buy an RD45 microphone cable, you will also need to find the blue connector for the optional factory hands-free (NOMAD) unit, to extend the microphone wires to the quadlock connector on the RD45.
Thanks for the tips, though as to that last one, the bundle came with the mic cable as part of a small loom that included the AUX jack. I'll be keeping the Aux since both the missus and the kids find it useful.

I've already placed the new mic into its proper place as I will describe in the next post.
citroC5
(Donor 2022)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Post by citroC5 »

This afternoon's taskbegan with putting the microphone in place, so it was off with the ceiling light cluster.

The removal tool pictured here and the set that came with it absolutely crucial. I've used screwdrivers and the like in previous cars to remove interior trim and I've always regretted it.

With the dome cluster out, there are two torx T15 screws to remove. Once they're out you pull the remaining housing downwards so it unclips, then forward. With that bit out there was what seemed to be an original mic cable and plug, but held in with tape and with rotten foam:

That area left of the foam with three prongs is where the mic goes. You have to remove the blanking plug first, then the mic has only one way to fit.

The mic is now fitted in the picture below:

What might not be clear from the picture is that the mic wiring I was sent has the mic cable divided into a shorter bit that connects to the microphone and a long cable that goes from the housing pictured above all the way to the radio. I undid that connector then set about the mext part of the task which was threading the long cable through the passenger side A-pillar. I got this idea from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=48421&start=30. There seems to be less gubbins in the passenger area, and the fascia there is relatively easy to remove.

First, I removed the trim next to the hinges:

Then, I prised away the A-pillar trim, getting it mucky in the process. Grrr!

I started at the base of the pillar, threading the wire as if it came from the dash. There were some loops along the inside of the A-pillar that seem purpose-built for threading wiring through, so I duly did so. Then with the wire out the top of the pillar, I pulled it across, threaded it through the ceiling housing with the mic and plugged it in. I then shoved the exposed cable stright into the headliner with a removal tool.

Afterwards I put everything back into place, except the sodding map-reading lights. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but there are some metal clips that I can't get to work! $%$&ing annoying! Mic looks good though.

Next up, I removed the dash fascia. Dead easy on this car. Pry out the trim and undo three torx screws:

It's hard to see because the cable is black and everything is dark, but the picture below shows where I threaded the loom from the passenger door side

Then I just threaded it all to the cavity above the radio and shoved the remaining loom in there, waiting to just hook it up when the radio arrives. Again, hard to see here but that cable right in the middle is what leads to the mic.

That's the story so far. To be honest, it was rather easy especially for a ham-fisted dunderhead like me. I usually f**k up terribly or ruin and break bits of trim (nearly boll*cksed up a vent today, but I got away with it), but this C5 has proven to be rather idiot-friendly, and as a bit of an idiot myself, I'm rather happy that it's the case.

Now I'm just waiting for the actual head unit. Hopefully it'll get here this week.

Until then, if there's anything that didn't seem clear in my description, let me know and I'll try to clear it up.
citroC5
(Donor 2022)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Post by citroC5 »

The radio finally arrived, but I had to cough up 45€ in customs duties when it arrived. Ouch! That brings the total of all I've invested in the radio to the princely sum of 175€ (rounded up). 102€ for the radio, 28€ for shipping, the 45€ for import tax, but don't forget, forum members, I don't live in the UK, so this may vary. I wouldn't mind knowing what FCF members think, if you consider it too expensive, but I think it was an OK price, and will be offset with what I plan to do with the old equipment, but more on that later.

Here is the radio with the display sitting atop it waiting for installation:

Now, I have to admit I completely forgot to take pictures, so my sincerest apologies. My youngest was frolicking in the back seats because I had nowhere to leave her, so it was rather distracting and taking photos just slipped my mind. Having said that, it was such a doddle that it hardly seems worth the fuss of illustrating it. It was just a question of removing the old RD4 then placing the new radio in its place, plugging in all that needed to be attached, and hey presto, it was ready to go. The USB cable was already in place, a process which I described on another thread instead of here (viewtopic.php?p=647931#p647931), because I'm an idiot.

The centre display was replaced, but again, so easy as to dispense illustration. It was just a matter of undoing two screws, one on either side, swwapping the dispays, redo screws, and job's a good 'un.

But it works like a dream:

One thing I forgot to mention was the reason I got the RD45 in the first place. It wasn't just to swap for the RD4, it was also to replace my Xcarlink Bluetooth kit:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great kit and works well, but some of the little niggles annoyed me to no end. For example, if you're on the phone while driving, but then arrive at where you want to go and exit the car, the system hangs up the call, which is really dumb. There's more but I won't harp on any more, in general it's actually excellent, the sound is good, the installation was laughably easy and it works well with the steering wheel buttons.

The plan now is to sell all the equipment I removed (display, RD4 radio and BT kit) online, and that's where living in a country where the second-hand market is hyper-inflated comes in handy. You see, everything car-related here is eye-wateringly overpriced, from used spare parts to the cars themselves. To give you an example, my C5 1.6hdi Tourer was 10 years old and 155,000 miles when I bought it, and cost me 7000€ (~£6,400). And that's a cheap car (and before you ask, yes, I had to haggle), since the German premium brands are insanely expensive. A knackered, piece-of-crap 16 year-old petrol Audi A4 with 200,000 miles, bald tires and absolutely no options (not even a trip computer) will set you back about £4000, if you haggle (BTW, I know this because a guy proposed trading one of them with me the last time I was selling a car). So I reckon I can get some decent money for my stuff, and who knows, even make a little profit.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

An interesting read. Pleased you finally have all the parts to the puzzle and a shame about the taxes - usual story of always going after the little people... Wow those prices are eye watering. I hope it pays off with the warmer climate hopefully reducing some of the maintenance costs that we would have with the salt and other crap on the roads here!

Marc
citroC5
(Donor 2022)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Post by citroC5 »

That's a very good point. Even though the locals have wet winters here, cars don't gain even a fraction of the rot they do back in the UK, unless they're very poorly taken care of.

I really hope you enjoyed the read, thanks for the feedback!
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Great post! lots of good pictures there :-D

I was tempted to route the USB socket to the proper place in the centre armrest however I ran it to the glovebox with the AUX cables instead.
citroC5
(Donor 2022)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Post by citroC5 »

Thanks! You probably did the right thing by routing the USB socket to the glovebox. I'm starting to regret having the socket in the centre armrest, because a larger flash drive is intrusive, and all the rubbish I throw in the cubby might break it. Funnily enough, the radio only acknowledges a USB drive when it's plugged in after the radio's been turned on. If I listen to stuff from a USB drive, leave it plugged in and turn off the car, when I come back it won't detect the drive. Is that normal?
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I think that is normal behaviour unfortunately. I had to re-insert the USB frequently with my RD45 (annoying when it's in the glovebox and can't be reached from drivers’ side when driving haha). I found out that it is much more stable when reading music from an iPhone. My RT4 is much better at reading from the USB, however it cannot read music from an iPhone so I'm not sure what is better overall to be honest.
citroC5
(Donor 2022)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Post by citroC5 »

Thanks for that info. To be honest, it's not very handy to have the bleedin socket in the centre cubby either! I might thread it through the cubby beneath the radio after all...