Newbie EGR question

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Space2308
My Cars: 2012 Peugeot 5008
2010 Renault grand scenic

Newbie EGR question

Post by Space2308 »

Hi all, I've just joined the forum in the hope that someone may be able to help me. In October 2019 I purchased my lovely 2012 5008 1.6HDI. Despite a few minor issues it's been a great car so far, one niggly issue is my EGR valve is showing a "fail" on OBD reading but the car 99% of the time is perfectly fine with the occasional little bit of throttle resistance through the lower revs.

Is this a normal thing to go on the 5008? How easy is the egr valve to find and clean for someone with a limited 'new car' mechanical knowledge... I used to work on the fords from back in the day doing most things myself as I'm sure did a lot of others!

Any help or advice will be kindly received
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Newbie EGR question

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello, and :welc: to the Forum.

What make is your OBD reader? Most generic code readers don't work well (if at all) with the PSA vehicles, and a specific reader is needed (commonly known as either a Lexia or a DiagBox system). This is an item of hardware (with the relevant cables and software) which is used in conjunction with a PC (preferably a laptop, for the mobility) to get far more information and control of the connected vehicle.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Space2308

Post by Space2308 »

Hi Razor,

Thank you for the reply I apologise for the delayed response...

It was an Amazon £20 special jobby - Launch 3001, it read all codes and gave me live info following a battery change but showed said EGR failure on its readings. However Its since been sent back as the display died.

My car as I say runs great generally, no smoke whatsoever, pulls really well and only has 52kon the clock so I wouldn't expect it to be clogged but that reading and occasional throttle resistance has perturbed me!

Would you be in a position to share whereabouts the egr would be?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Space2308 wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 11:51 Hi all, I've just joined the forum in the hope that someone may be able to help me. In October 2019 I purchased my lovely 2012 5008 1.6HDI. Despite a few minor issues it's been a great car so far, one niggly issue is my EGR valve is showing a "fail" on OBD reading but the car 99% of the time is perfectly fine with the occasional little bit of throttle resistance through the lower revs.

Is this a normal thing to go on the 5008? How easy is the egr valve to find and clean for someone with a limited 'new car' mechanical knowledge... I used to work on the fords from back in the day doing most things myself as I'm sure did a lot of others!

Any help or advice will be kindly received
Post your VIN up and I'll get a diagram once we know the exact engine type. But before you start doing anything with the EGR, I really would advise a proper diagnostic. Generic aftermarket readers cannot read constructor-specific fault codes - only the basic EOBD codes with often very little else. Once you have the codes put them up here and we can advise on the fault.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On the 1.6 diesels it is down the back of the engine, LH side of the car. Exact type will depend on engine, I expect this is a DV6C. If the EML is not on, then I would ignore it....
Richard W
Space2308

Post by Space2308 »

Thanks all for the replies, I will get my vin shortly and post it up... much appreciated