Any mechanic in South Wales?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ldare2000

Any mechanic in South Wales?

Post by ldare2000 »

I bought a 2009 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 Diesel 5 weeks ago. The seller refuses to refund me and 2 garages have said its not worth repairing.

Symptoms :
1) Needs OS Front Break Caliper and Pads
2) Leaking diesel near injections, not sure if from injector(s) of leak off pipe
3) Leaking oil from several seals/gaskets on engine block
4) Air Con Condenser leaking

Some oil has leaked into auxiliary belt so may need replacing. Can belt is probably due for a change.

I am wondering if any experienced C4 mechanic would be able to take it for a few weeks and work on and fully recondition the engine as and when they have time.

I can either pay cash if less than the value of the car or offer a free week's summer holiday to Kiln Park Tenby where I have a caravan.

Thanks
Louis
ldare2000

Re: Any mechanic in South Wales?

Post by ldare2000 »

So far I know:
2x Injectors are chuffing
Leak off pipe is weaping
There's oil finding it's way back to the inlet and seaping out. Worse case scenario rocket cover gasket but don't know.

Id love to get the car back but no one local seems to want to touch it.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Injectors - try tightening the injector bolts yourself. There's two per injector. Start engine, you'll hear it chuffing. 8mm socket and little ratchet, *gently* tighten them in turn. It should stop chuffing as you do it.

Leak off pipe - it's about a tenner for a set, change them yourself. Dead easy.

Oil in inlet - they all do that sir, to varying degrees.

You'll need a full set of front brake pads and a caliper. Any garage who's turning easy work like that down isn't worth using.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

South Wales is a big place, this is just over the border from Chepstow, a very long established Citroen independent with a good reputation.

http://www.wyverngarage.co.uk/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Michel wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 08:13 Injectors - try tightening the injector bolts yourself. There's two per injector. Start engine, you'll hear it chuffing. 8mm socket and little ratchet, *gently* tighten them in turn. It should stop chuffing as you do it.

Leak off pipe - it's about a tenner for a set, change them yourself. Dead easy.

Oil in inlet - they all do that sir, to varying degrees.

You'll need a full set of front brake pads and a caliper. Any garage who's turning easy work like that down isn't worth using.
I've ordered a leak off pipe, Thanks for the advice on tightening the injectors.

The oil is dripping onto the alternator which will in time kill the alternator and also the oil will shorten the life of the belt so would like to stop this. At the moment I am wiping the area daily to keep the alternator dry.

I've watched this video:

Is replacing the rocker cover gasket a big job? Looks simple in the video, two garages made out it was a major job?

I think I will replace the PCV diaphragm just to keep it all fresh.

Ta
Louis
Last edited by myglaren on 30 Oct 2019, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Michel wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 08:13 Leak off pipe - it's about a tenner for a set, change them yourself. Dead easy.
Picked up a genuine set. The 4 points on injectors looks fine, the point they rejoin the fuel system isnt too visable. Is is just a case of pulling off and pushing on the new pipe?

Ta
Louis
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

I've removed the orings and just replaced them rather than the pipe.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

The jobs you require doing aren't too difficult that you couldn't do them at home they would be nothing to a garage. Tighten the rocker cover in the correct order and be very gentle it's a very simple job. Do you have any tools? You'd need a few to change the pads and caliper but nothing expensive. A haynes manual might be of help with torque settings etc but apart from the aircon it's a mornings work for an amateur mechanic. You might need an assistant when bleeding the brakes.
Oh buggle
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Well...... I purchased O rings and a genuine Rocker Cover with seal (change from £80) and popped to another local garage... The type that doesn't take card payments. £194 for caliper, pads and labour to sort the brakes, remove 2 injectors and reseal and replace the rocker cover which I was quite happy with. I drove home at 4.55 with diesel p##sing out so couldn't get back before they closed. Can't quite see where its coming from but there's a lot making its way to the driveway. My assumption is something has perished whilst being moved, something has made its way loose or something hasn't been tightened.

They also noticed the EGR Value is perished (which I suspected anyway) so no sign yet of this car being all I hoped. Owned for 2 months and tomorrow will be its sixth visit to a garage, and visit 7 planned soon after for new EGR and timing belt.

I wonder what next is going to fail?
doctle

Post by doctle »

Does it run ok? If it's losing diesel something hasn't been done up properly or there's a return pipe cracked, not attached or split. EGR's don't perish they get gummed up and stick, sometimes they can be cleaned. They aren't hugely expensive I bought a second hand one with a 3 month guarantee 9 months ago it was £40 still works fine.
I think £80 for the leak off seals and a rocker gasket was steep unless it was supply and fit?
Oh buggle
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Hi
Diesel was coming from the injector in line. 1/4 turn and all dry.

Apparently the EGR component is a combination of metal and plastic and has perished on the seam of these two materials.

£80 was leak off seals (which Citroen doesn't supply without the leak off pipe which I didn't use) and also a new a Rocker Cover and gasket as the air/oil seperator diaphragm isn't supplied on its own I replaced the whole rocker cover. £80 was parts.

I have used cable ties to support a Chinese Takeaway box to catch the oil that drips, but in the main around the rocker cover is now very dry.

I shall upload a photo shortly..... Ironically the box is less oily now as when it arrived with Chowmaen in it.
doctle

Post by doctle »

I'm rather fond of cable ties! You can register for free on service box register as an independent trader. Using your VIN you can look up most parts and get a part number. Then you can shop around for the best deals. I discovered Ford use the same part numbers as Peugeot I got injector washers and collars for €4, local Peugeot dealer wanted €3 each for the copper washers.
Oh buggle
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

All genuine parts :rofl2:
Attachments
IMG_20191127_095050.jpg
doctle

Post by doctle »

Did you attend a night class in cable tie lacing :-D