Dealership mode/customer mode

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mark Clayton
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2l hdi 2014

Dealership mode/customer mode

Post by Mark Clayton »

Hi. My issue is that on my 2014 Citroen C5, following fuse checks, the fob locks the car but the alarm goes off after 3-4 minutes, and the fob won't then unlock the doors, and the radio clock reverts to January 2000, flashing that date. BSi resets DON'T work, and it's nothing to do with synchronizing the fob. I've heard that a car can revert to dealership mode. If BSi resets don't work, is the dealership mode a possible cause of my woes? If so, how would I put the car back to customer mode? Alternatively, does anyone have any other suggestions that will allow me to lock the doors with the fob, not have the alarm going off after 3-4 minutes, and not have to reset the radio date and time every time I get in? Ps. It locks with the blade but that means there's no alarm to protect the car from thieves. And, I can't open it then with the fob....just the blade again, but that only opens the door I use that key in. I'm tearing my hair out over this!!! Thanks in advance to anyone who can solve this. Mark.
chasqui
(Donor 2020)

Re: Dealership mode/customer mode

Post by chasqui »

sounds like the car battery is not holding charge..
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The battery is your first suspect, or the battery wiring. There is no such thing as resetting to dealer mode - that’s internet BS.

There are 2 modes that the BSI can be set to - Customer mode and Showroom / Park mode. That is simply a shunt fuse in the BSI fuse box. That position will be shown in your manual as the position it should be in. The purpose being that it allows certain functions to be switched off to prolong battery life when the vehicle will be parked up or not run for a period.

Next, I would get the battery off and give it a slow charge overnight.

As for the BSI reset, that won’t do diddly if the battery is in a poor state of charge. The fact that the clock is resetting tells us there has been a power cut, or the battery is very low.

This WILL affect the locking and unlocking, because once the power has been lost, your key fobs will need to be resynchronised. Otherwise they will no longer operate if they are no longer handshaking with he BSI.

Occasionally, if after resynchronising the key fobs, the remotes still won’t lock or unlock the vehicle, then you’ll need to actually re-pair the key fobs. To do that you’ll need Diagbox and your confidential customer code. This is sometimes necessary after power failures, or whence BSI procedure has not been followed properly.

Procedure here:
viewtopic.php?t=61997

If you have tried all the above, run a diagnostic and pop up any codes you may have.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mark Clayton

Post by Mark Clayton »

Thank you for your input so far. I may replace the battery, BUT.... The car starts immediately first thing on a freezing morning, and the battery never lets me down. It's never slow or lazy when turning the engine over, and this issue just started. Surely it's not just a coincidence that following the fuse pulls, the battery got weak? As for the dealership mode thing, I contacted a poster who had had the precise issue I've got. He said that it was in dealership mode, and had cost him a lot to find that out and get it sorted, funnily enough, at the dealership. I suspect the dealership might have told him a fairytale? Maybe just changed his battery but charged him for "setting the bsi back to customer mode"? I'll try the battery change, then. If that fails, I'll get fault codes up. Thanks everyone
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so with that additional information, what that is referring to is the programming mode of the BSI. These are ALWAYS set back to customer mode prior to delivery. The only way this has been changed is if there has been some manual telecoding done to the BSI (either by the dealer or by an a previous owner) to change some options, or equipment and it has been left in maintenance mode. I didn't mention that as it is not something the end user has to worry about.

Ok, so if you are confident the battery is in good health, then you have a supplies problem. You didn't mention anything specific about fuse pulls? What fuses have you pulled? If you have been playing with fuses, then you have likely upset a supply to the BSI or one of the other circuits. Whatever you have done - go back over every one of them, test with a multimeter (don't rely on a visual check) and physically test the fuses. Also, it is well known that the fuse holder contacts that hold the fuses in can be contaminated with residue or loose that can affect continuity.

Going back to the BSI programming mode, the only way you can check this is to find somebody with Diagbox or get the dealer to check it for a diagnostic fee.

Marc
Mark Clayton

Post by Mark Clayton »

Thank you! I pulled the fuses because both brake bulbs seemed intact, yet were out. I thought it unlikely that both had blown together, and they looked fine too, so I thought it must be a fuse. Unless I'm going blind, I couldn't see on the diagrams a fuse location for the brake lights, so I pulled every one to do a visual. All looked fine, so I just put two new bulbs in. They worked. Wish I'd just done that originally. I locked the car by fob, but 4 minutes later, the alarm was going off, and the fob wouldn't open the doors. The blade did, and once in the ignition, turned the alarm off. It's always 4 minutes after locking by the fob, as was the case with the other poster I consulted with. His identical problem started after an RAC man had pulled all the fuses in his C5. I'll check all the fuses are seated properly, maybe cleaning their seats with contact cleaner. Why though, does the alarm set, and do the doors lock as normal, but exactly 4 minutes later the alarm sounds? That precise time, 4 minutes seems as though it's a software issue. As a side note, it isn't the usual horn alarm sound that I get, and there are no flashing indicators. It's a different sound, piercing, a high pitched undulating frequency sound.Thanks so much again for sharing your knowledge and opinions. Hopefully I'll get this back to normal soon! Mark.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I may be wrong but the 4 minutes part of the problem is possibly the amount of time it takes the car goes to 'sleep' after locking it. Does everything still happen if you just walk away from the car without locking it?
Also, as for the alarm, all the doors, bonnet & boot shut tight?
Can't think of any reason why the car would reset its self other than a power outage, I would check the fuses to the radio as this controls the LCD/Screen displays and it could be just the radio resetting itself.
Also clean and check the battery terminals, a small current, like a sleeping car, will not always get through muck whereas big current, like cranking, will.
Good luck
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Mark Clayton

Post by Mark Clayton »

Thanks again for your ongoing support. I can lock up by fob. Then 4 minutes later, racket! I go out, use the blade ( because it won't then open by transponder) and that opens one door. I turn the ignition on. That sends the mirrors out, and unlocks everything else, and shuts the alarm up.
If I just lock it by blade, that sends the mirrors in, and locks the doors. I can leave it forever then, with no noise, but obviously the car with no alarm engaged is vulnerable, and, I still can't open the doors by fob. It's back to the blade.
It's a mystery, but when I get home, I'll do the fuses checks etc, and hope for the best! I'll let you know if I have success it not. Regards, Mark.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Can you pop up your VIN (or reg) for me and I'll have a look at the specifics - but I need the specific options to get the relevant data which I can get from your VIN.

Marc
Mark Clayton

Post by Mark Clayton »

Hi it's VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], I think. Reg is. Superb car, normally!
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 26 Nov 2019, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reg deleted, have VIN
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Mark - the issue you have is still with supplies - because what is happening is that for some reason (yet to be determined) there is a power loss to some of the systems, one of which is the alarm ECU. By design, if there is a power loss (i.e. a thief tries to cut the power to the alarm) it triggers the alarm siren as this has an independent power supply. This is the reason why the alarm is going off after it is enabled and enters the 'active' state.

Whatever is causing the break to the alarm is also doing the same to the locking system - so the BSI is your main suspect - or the supplies from the engine fusebox to the BSI.

In order to check that, you'll need to get access to the engine fusebox and test all those too as it may not be a fuse in one of the BSI fuse boxes.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I shall have a look at the circuits shortly for you.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so taking a quick look, I would first check that the fuse I have highlighted labelled SH in the second diagram and shown below is in the customer mode position. See in the diagram below, Fusebox 'C', there is a grey SH shunt fuse. Make sure that is in the correct position (you may need a torch to read it).
x7 fuses B.PNG
BSI Fuse box - F8 supplies the alarm siren.
BSI Fuse box - F11- 15A Low current immobiliser.

These are the Maxi Fuses that provide the mains to the engine copartment fuse box and to the BSI.
MF4 - 80A Under the Engine Compartment Fuse Box - Supplies the BSI
MF8 - 80A Under the Engine Compartment Fuse Box - Supplies the BSI
x7 BSI Fuses.PNG

Marc
Mark Clayton

Post by Mark Clayton »

Thanks yet again! Here's something new. I was standing next to the unlocked car, dealing with something else, and the car suddenly decided to lock itself, and fold the mirrors! The fob was in sight on the bin store, so no one had touched that. So, the fog thickens! What's your take on that? I'll check the fuse to and in the bsi tomorrow in daylight. Moral of the story? Just change bulbs that are out, even if they look fine, and died as a pair!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you unlock a modern car, but you don't open a door/boot/tailgate within a certain period of time (normally 30 seconds) the car will re-lock itself. However, once a door has been opened that timer is cancelled (so you don't then leave the keys in the car only for it to then lock them back in!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!