308 cc Cabin not warming up but air scarf hot !!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stafford_Mart
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC 1.6 GT THP 150 (2009) Silver

308 cc Cabin not warming up but air scarf hot !!!

Post by Stafford_Mart »

Morning fellow Peugeot owners.

My next problem I have with my beloved (word used loosely) 308 cc is that the cabin heating doesn't seem to be functioning properly now.

I have the temperature on 26 Degrees or Hi and it doesn't get very warm at all. It helps to turn the AC off but the car soon gets condensation and steams up.

First thoughts were that it was the heater matrix and it needed flushing out as it warms a bit but the air stays lukewarm only. Maybe the temperature sensor is faulty or some other electrical fault. Then on way home yesterday and stuck in traffic on the Dreaded M6 (J10 Walsall) I turned the air scarf on and low and behold hot air...very hot air.

Is this something to do with the motors or gears that mix/control air direction or is it something else. I need to get this sorted as soon as I can because in this country I cant be without my toasty warm car when driving to work at stupid o'clock in the morning. At the moment I've got the dashboard vents turned off and both air scarf vents on full to compensate for no heat elsewhere.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mart
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: 308 cc Cabin not warming up but air scarf hot !!!

Post by xantia_v6 »

The air scarf is directly heated by an electric element (like a fan-heater), so has no bearing on the main cabin heating system.

It is possible that the problem is something to do with the flap motors, but this would be less likely if both sides have the same problem. Does the system blow cold air if you reduce the set temperature?

Is the temperature gauge on the dashboard giving its usual reading of 90° ?

You may need to have a diagnostics session, as there are a number of sensors and actuators involved in the system.
Stafford_Mart

Post by Stafford_Mart »

Hi there.

Thanks for the reply. That explains a lot about the air scarf... I didn't realize that at all.

The engine temp is constant and running okay so I assume the coolant is running around the engine okay.

That could be the the first port of call, if the matrix is blocked or restricted in some way. Is there a quick way to check this? Are the inlet and outlet pipes easy to get to so I can check the difference, if any, in the pipe temperatures?

If there is a difference I might get it into Peugeot and get it flushed through and some new coolant put in. I had the coolant changed last May so it wouldn't hurt to do again.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The heater hoses are not easy to get to, you need to remove the air pipes to and from the filter and the battery box, and even the access is not good.

I don't think it likely that you have a water circulation problem. I think that there is a temperature sensor at the matrix which can be read by the diagnostic equipment, which can also exercise the flap motors.
Stafford_Mart

Post by Stafford_Mart »

Okay thanks.

I'll get the car in to Peugeot and let them sort it out while I still have a bit of money left in the bank and post a reply once I know the cause.

Cheers for your help and have a good weekend.

Regards

Mart.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Note also that some of these cars are fitted with an electric heating element (resistor) to supplement the heat output of the matrix, primarily for fast heat output when the car is started up. I am not sure how noticeable the failure of this is (or whether your car has it fitted)
Stafford_Mart

Post by Stafford_Mart »

Hiya
just a quick update on the heater matrix.....it was blocked and literally 80% solid when my local garage removed it (Not Peugeot).
I opted for a new one and had it all flushed, fitted and new coolant for £284. (Peugeot wanted £400..there's a surprise eh).

While they were doing that, I've had an oil and filter done, brake fluid change and it's back in on Friday afternoon for a new aux belt as it has cracked a bit.

All in all pleased now as the cabin is nice and warm and the car is behaving so far.

Next stop is to try and sort that soddin boost control valve pipe with the filter on the end of it....I still haven't found it yet.

The Peugeot garage didn't even have a clue what i was on about. So much for a trained technician.
Hopefully once I locate it I can remove the cap and then sort the small amount of hesitation out.

Everything else is running well now...even the TPMS monitor that the dealers wanted to replace.

Roll on the next problem when it arises!!!!!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Good to hear that your problem is solved, I suppose that someone has put leak sealant into your cooling system, not something I would recommend.

The boost control filter is shown in this post: viewtopic.php?p=530175#p530175 It is hidden just behind the top cover, behind where the front crankcase breather connects to the cover. If you feel behind there with your fingers (from the top) you should be able to fish it out.
Stafford_Mart

Post by Stafford_Mart »

That sounds like a plan to pull it out from the top so I can sort the little frecker out.

Here's a stupid question.....which side is on (looking at the engine from the top). I'm imagining its the RH side or rear of the engine as it sits.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

It is at the corner of the engine nearest the brake reservoir