Particulate Filter Fluid Low Warning and Possible Fuel Injector Faults. Repair or Trade In?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hastings-c4grand
My Cars: 2011 C4 Grand Picasso VTR+ HDI

Particulate Filter Fluid Low Warning and Possible Fuel Injector Faults. Repair or Trade In?

Post by hastings-c4grand »

Hi Forum

I'm running a 2011 Grand Picasso with 89K miles on the clock.

A 'Particulate Filter Fluid Low Warning' has appeared on the dashboard and following a diagnostic reading at the local dealers I've been advised of possible 'Injector' faults.

The cost of the Eolys is up to £380.00. They were non-committal on the injector repair.

Additionally I have been quoted £245.64 to repair both driveshaft boots.
And £129.16 for a near side bottom ball joint.

The car apparently has a book price value of £2K to £2.5K tops.

So the repairs are over half of the value of the car.

I'm afraid I've had an expensive year spending around £3K on the car in the last 12 months.

It has been a work horse - around 40K miles of school runs and Avon rounds in hilly town not short of pot holes.

Do you think it is time to trade it in and buy a new car?

Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Particulate Filter Fluid Low Warning and Possible Fuel Injector Faults. Repair or Trade In?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's a difficult one - knowing what you have spent on it already would provide some surety on knowing what has been done on it versus another vehicle that you may have to layout on...

As for the particulate fluid, this can be done a lot cheaper - depending on your skills. Fluid can be purchased in a 3L filling kit for about £143 inc. postage and VAT - but I would need your VIN (or reg) to advise you of the correct additive. You will also need somebody with an appropriate diagnostic tool like Diagbox to reset the additive counter afterwards.

That should solve your warning light for the additive level. As for the other issues, I can't really advise without knowing the fault codes, but the drive boots can be bought quite cheaply. If you have a good independent garage with some experience of these vehicles, you could find it a lot cheaper if not doing it yourself. I would get a reliable independent to give you a quote first before you decide one way or the other.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Particulate Filter Fluid Low Warning and Possible Fuel Injector Faults. Repair or Trade In?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Sell it on (or reduce spend on it by phoning around).....50% goes well out of sync with the "Run a Shed" equation.
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 20 Oct 2019, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

Give Craig Coleman a ring at CMS in Bexhill a ring

https://cmsbexhill.com/

01424 734340
Simon
hastings-c4grand

Thanks All.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

hastings-c4grand wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 17:16 The cost of the Eolys is up to £380.00. They were non-committal on the injector repair.
Just a couple of weeks ago I got an independent Citroen mechanic to refill my Eolys tank and reset the ecu. Total cost was £121 + VAT.
As others have said, shop around.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I recently refilled the Eolys on my C5 for less than 100 pounds plus the help of another member to reset the level indicator. Not to difficult a job especially for someone younger than me.

What makes you/them thing it has an injector problem, they are usually pretty reliable.

Peter
hastings-c4grand

What makes you/them thing it has an injector problem, they are usually pretty reliable.
I guess a fault code registered on their diagnostics.
They we kind enough to waive the fee for the diagnostics and with one thing and another I didn't ask for a copy of the report.

I've spoken to Craig at https://cmsbexhill.com/ and booked the car in for next week.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Personally I would be inclined to ignore the injector diagnoses unless there is some evidence of a faulty injector i.e smoky exhaust or knocking noise.

Peter