Citroen Relay CDL and Electric window problems.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doozynit
My Cars: Citroen Relay 2.2 diesel.
Honda CBR1000rr Repsol Fireblade.

Citroen Relay CDL and Electric window problems.

Post by doozynit »

Hi all, Am new here as this is my first French vehicle.

My problem started with going to start the van one day and there was nothing. I jump started it and it worked fine for around 30 miles when it cut out, the dash went blank and i feared the worst. However after dipping the clutch i was able to bump it and carry on with my journey. Soon I realised that the + terminal was a little loose and this was causing my problem. I took this off cleaned it reinstalled it and it seems to have solved that problem. but after realising that my window was slightly open I turned the ignition on to close the window, nothing! I thought I would simply shut the door, press lock on my keyfob, come inside and google it and that doesn't work either.

I have checked all fuses for the windows and doors, they all are fine, I have 2 looms coming from the positive terminal of the battery on a fuse thing that I've never seen before and have done a continuity test on all the fuses, all fine. I have also tried to carry out a BSI reset but as I cant open the drivers window I am doing this through the sliding side door with the light switch taped shut. nothing I've tried has worked and am at a complete loss. Only other info I can think maybe useful is when I press and hold the keyfob buttons the red light flashes for as long as I'm holding it.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received, thank you in advance.
Dave.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen Relay CDL and Electric window problems.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pop the VIN up first of all so I know exactly what you have - there are hundreds of variations of these vans.

Secondly, taping the interior light switch on the door pillar won't do anything, the BSI RCD triggering works on the door modules - not the light switch. So you would have to manually flip the lock catch up to trick the BSI into thinking the door has been shut and follow the timings in the procedure here:

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

As you have had battery problems - what is the condition of the battery? - a weak battery will play havoc with the electrical systems.
Next, make sure you synchronise the key fobs correctly:

Get in the van, put the key in the ignition and turn to ignition plus, then within 10 seconds hold the lock button on the fob for a few seconds, release and switch off ignition. repeat with the second fob.

Then wait for 1 minute before trying to lock / unlock the vehicle with the remote.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
doozynit

Post by doozynit »

Thanks for the reply Marc, I've had to go out and don't have the vin on me. I've tried the ignition on with the button pressed to no avail. I'm no expert on batteries however it is holding charge fine, it was a bit dirty but not terrible.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, well I suggest that the battery may have not been charging properly if the connections have been poor - and abrupt loss of power can lead to the ECUs getting stuck in a particular state. Doing a full reset as per the procedure above and following the advice and timings can help reset the state - but timings are important, along with no switches, buttons or doors being pressed or opened during the process including the radio.

I'll be able to confirm whether there is a specific other procedure once I have your VIN (or your reg - which I'll mask if you don't have the VIN handy).

Marc
doozynit

Post by doozynit »

The guide you've provided is slightly different from the one I was trying and I didn't realise about the door latch bit, I'm away from the van until tomorrow. I can give the reg tho it's ******
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 20 Oct 2019, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reg masked for security
doozynit

Post by doozynit »

I'd love to think it'll be that simple but my luck never goes that way, thanks for the guidance I shall have a look tomorrow.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

I have no experience of the Relay but looking at the OP the vehicle has electric windows, so assuming the passenger side also has an electric operated window, does the passenger side window work from the passenger switch, does it work from the drivers switch ?
Just thinking that maybe a wire is broken in the loom where it enters the drivers door and it may just be sods law that it happened when the battery connection issue appeared and now we are looking for a fix to something that is electrical power supply not something more expensive?
Does the car lock/unlock with the key fob as normal?
Just thinking that the battery issue and the window operation are not linked, just that it happened at the same time :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, thanks, now I have the VIN I can see this is not a Ford Puma engine - you have a 2006 with DW12UTED engine, so scrub all that (and I deleted my last post as it is no longer relevant to this vehicle).

I have checked and there is a technical service bulletin for this exact problem - "Central locking and window mechanism do not function", but presently I don't have access to what is contained in the TSB or the solution as it is a chargeable document.

Marc
doozynit

Post by doozynit »

The windows and central locking worked fine right up until I disconnected the battery to clean the terminal fuse thing off. And no the passenger side doesn't work either side at the mo.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 16:07 Ok, thanks, now I have the VIN I can see this is not a Ford Puma engine - you have a 2006 with DW12UTED engine, so scrub all that (and I deleted my last post as it is no longer relevant to this vehicle).

I have checked and there is a technical service bulletin for this exact problem - "Central locking and window mechanism do not function", but presently I don't have access to what is contained in the TSB or the solution as it is a chargeable document.
Oh bugger Colin got it wrong again :rofl2:

Marc the force is still with you :)
doozynit

Post by doozynit »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 16:07 Ok, thanks, now I have the VIN I can see this is not a Ford Puma engine - you have a 2006 with DW12UTED engine, so scrub all that (and I deleted my last post as it is no longer relevant to this vehicle).

So from what you have said here this is a known problem? I have left the battery disconnected all night so should be good to try something this morning.
If this is a known problem and there is a TSB for it, any idea where or how I can get my hands on the TSB
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'll send you a private message concerning this.

Marc
doozynit

Post by doozynit »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 09:30 I'll send you a private message concerning this.
thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so this was the issue on earlier models:

Fault concerns the 'central locking and window mechanism do not function'.

It is casued by Fuse F38 (20Amp) in the engine fusebox burning out. This is caused by the interior roller of the switch supply wiring harness getting fouled when the side door is closed.

The harness should be isolated and moved / secured away from the curved part of the rail and then fit another 20A fuse. I would check the wiring whilst you are at it and make any repairs.

Fuse F38 should be located in the engine fuse box highlighted in yellow below. You'll have to click to zoom the image.
Relay F38.PNG

Marc
doozynit

Post by doozynit »

Thanks Marc, just to confirm this is the fusebox under the bonnet? Am thrown by the A on it as fuse box A I thought was the one on the passenger side next to the glove box.