2.0 hdi crank pulley - do they all rattle?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ashy90

2.0 hdi crank pulley - do they all rattle?

Post by ashy90 »

Since buying my Xantia a couple of months ago, it has made a clattering/rattle sound, which I believed was the crank pulley - though I couldn't see any movement or wobble. Its a 2.0 hdi and I read that this is a common issue with this engine?
So I bought this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-PEUGEOT- ... 2749.l2649

I fitted it yesterday. There was some dust behind the old crank pulley when I removed it. The noise I was hearing has gone, or at least changed. There was a rattle type noise I could hear still (car on ramp with bonnet open).
I cant decide if the new pulley has either
a) got rid of the rattle, or
b) changed the rattle/type of sound.

I couldn't lock the engine, so I made sure it was tight with my impact gun. Most crank pulleys have to be tight, I assume over tightening this wouldn't cause a rattle?
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: 2.0 hdi crank pulley - do they all rattle?

Post by moizeau »

It's not a common problem with the engine, but a serviceable item with a dual mass pulley. Check the auto tensioner, it should stay 'motionless', if it's flicking around it needs replacing. Also does the sound change if the AC is on (if it still works). Mine has a rattle when the AC clutch has not engaged.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The tensioner will rattle if the belt is not running perfectly round all the pulleys, just shine a lamp on it with the engine running and see if its jittering.

Peter
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

There was two tensioners, or one tensioner and one idler. One with a 16mm bolt head and the other a 15 from memory.

One is a sprung loaded tensioner against the belt which I held away with a long spanner while I slipped the aux belt on and off.
The other, when the bolt is cracked off, there is some movement/adjustment via a 1/4 square drive.

With the engine running, I think there is possibly some slight side to side movement in the running of the aux belt. Looking at the top (fuel pump?) pulley it looks like it wobbles.